SEREJumper

More than likely stolen Mirage G3 for sale in NorCal *PICS*

Hi Serejumper,

i like to say fair play that you are making a very big effort to get this sorted and if the rig does turn out to be stolen,that it gets returned to the owner.
i wish everyone would go through so much hassle to help a fellow skydiver.
just on a quick note since oyu havent found the owner. i think you mentioned" FC Spa". as far as i know that is a DZ in belgium.
hope that helps

rodger

Easy there Dick Tracy. Just because the seller says his brother gave him the rig doesn't immediately mean the thing is hot. There's a sure-fire way to find out, though. Just reply to the guy asking for the serial number and DOM. If he gives it to you, check it against the stolen gear database (including one that USPA maintains).

If he won't provide it you can figure it's stolen. If he does you might just score a perfectly legal rig for pennies on the dollar!

Since it has some unique attributes (tie-dye fabric and "staff" embroidery) Mirage may be able to trace it to the original purchaser even without a serial number. That may allow a trace to any victim here.

Did you even read his post before your reply?

Easy there Dick Tracy. Just because the seller says his brother gave him the rig doesn't immediately mean the thing is hot. There's a sure-fire way to find out, though. Just reply to the guy asking for the serial number and DOM. If he gives it to you, check it against the stolen gear database (including one that USPA maintains).

If he won't provide it you can figure it's stolen. If he does you might just score a perfectly legal rig for pennies on the dollar!

Since it has some unique attributes (tie-dye fabric and "staff" embroidery) Mirage may be able to trace it to the original purchaser even without a serial number. That may allow a trace to any victim here.

Yes I did. It read:

"Hey guys, get the word out fast, this is probably someones rig they are missing. I didn't see anything in the "stolen gear" section, but not every jumper is on DZ.com. Guy has no idea what this is and says his "brother" gave it to him. Looking to offload it cheap. I couldn't get any serial #'s from him though. It's a pretty distinctive tyedye pattern, right mudflap says STAFF. Looks to be a small rig, get in contact with me ASAP! "

What's your point?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Same can be said (and I started to, then decided not to, and just drop it), with "his" (dpreguy) reply to my post, where he tried to rebut and tie my statements in with another piece of totally unrelated (and inappropriate I might add) supposition - story of a clearly from top-to-bottom ILL INTENTIONED from the get-go, flat-screen in a bar transaction. As if that is what I (or anybody else) even remotely suggested. :S

This thread is now getting ridiculous, and the once WELL INTENTIONED window of opportunity at this point as a result, is probably closing fast.

I've said my peace now in here. Now I'm done with it.

Best of wishes and regards to the OP who has at least now TRIED (and reached out to his community for assistance) VALIANTLY to do all the right things. I hope it works out well, or at least "correctly"/most appropriately now at this point still, for all those involved.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Any person who knowiingly purchases stolen goods, or purchases goods that he should have a reasonable belief are stolen, is guilty of theft.

Lucky for the OP, rigs have serial numbers and our national organizations maintains a database of known stolen gear. So he 'clears' the rig through USPA and Mirage, and then goes one step further as to make an announcement on the largest skydiving website in the world (I think) and nobody can confirm that the rig is stolen. The OP has done his due dilligence, and can purcahse the rig secure in the knowledge that it is not stolen.

What's the old saying, 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is'? The operative word in that sentence is 'probably'. Most times, they are too good to be true, but sometimes they are just great deals.

Your strawman rebuttals are specious, and not appreciated. Step on out from your veil of chicken-sh** anonymity, and I would then be more than happy to debate you. Until then, like I said, I'm out. Your course of discourse, for any true or truly "honorable" intents &/or purpose - especially for purposes of this thread; or us debating it in of itself, or me any further with you in here, is absolutely pointless.

I've said my peace, you've said yours.
Move on.

Peace.
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Ok, thanks everyone for there input on this. I think I've done everything I can. Maybe this was just one of those good deals that sometimes come up I guess.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I think I've done everything I can.

Did you try to buy it?

I will if you don't want it, but you say the ad was taken down?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

MY RIG! Hey, this is Anne Davies, and that is my baby! I loaned my rig to a friend who went to Lodi, CA and it was stolen out of his truck last weekend.
I have been trying to find my records of the original serial numbers but they have been lost in the many moves I have made in recent years, so I have not yet reported it to USPA as stolen.
But I have photos of me wearing my rig, if that helps to validate identity of ownership...
If there is a pack data card, the last repack was at Skydive Toledo within the last month. Before that was a long gap of no activity, with previous repacks in Virginia and Tennessee...
My current number is 208-351-1241, call me with whatever info you have! I so appreciate you posting photos here and getting the word out. Thanks to this amazing community of skydivers, word trickled back to me (I am not on dz.com usually)--thank you thank you thank you!!!

What's your point?

OP:
“I couldn't get any serial #'s from him though.”

Chuck:
Just reply to the guy asking for the serial number and DOM.

Wow, I actually missed something. Guess I should crawl under a rock, eh?

Really?

Dude......please.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

MY RIG! Hey, this is Anne Davies, and that is my baby! I loaned my rig to a friend who went to Lodi, CA and it was stolen out of his truck last weekend.
I have been trying to find my records of the original serial numbers but they have been lost in the many moves I have made in recent years, so I have not yet reported it to USPA as stolen.
But I have photos of me wearing my rig, if that helps to validate identity of ownership...
If there is a pack data card, the last repack was at Skydive Toledo within the last month. Before that was a long gap of no activity, with previous repacks in Virginia and Tennessee...
My current number is 208-351-1241, call me with whatever info you have! I so appreciate you posting photos here and getting the word out. Thanks to this amazing community of skydivers, word trickled back to me (I am not on dz.com usually)--thank you thank you thank you!!!

BINGOB|B|

Good luck:)

What's your point?

OP:

Chuck:

Really?

Dude......please.

So you didn’t read it.

Sorry, the original poster tried to do the right thing and I saw your crack “Easy there Dick Tracy” as belittling him for trying.

So yes, really.

Your previous rigger(s) may have logged the serial numbers in their riggers' logbook. Worth a call. Good luck getting this back!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Okay, GREAT NEWS! The wheels are in motion and we are in the process of getting the rig back. THANKS KURT for your heads-up action and for getting the word out here on dropzone.com! Deeply appreciated. Thanks to this great community for spreading the word. You are all awesome.:)Lesson learned -- have your serial numbers written down in a place that you will never lose them. :) I went to post on USPA's "stolen gear" page but it requires serial numbers in order to post, and I have been scrambling to find the serial numbers all week. If I had them really handy I could have posted that information and saved Kurt a lot of hassle.

Please tell us more about what exactly is happening, where it was, how it was handed on to the eventual sellers (if you know), how the police have handled it...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What's your point?

OP:

Chuck:

Really?

Dude......please.

So you didn’t read it.

Sorry, the original poster tried to do the right thing and I saw your crack “Easy there Dick Tracy” as belittling him for trying.

So yes, really.

You apparently don't understand the reference. The Dick Tracy comment was about his assumption that the rig is stolen. Just because someone is selling a rig cheap and knows nothing about skydiving gear is in no way evidence that it's stolen. In fact it could be quite the contrary.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX