nigelh

Why on Earth would you call a High Performance canopy "Undertaker"

No it's an actual canopy, made by Firebird,

Maybe the same guy that chose the name 'Undertaker', was the person that chose the companies original name 'Performance Variable'
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I guess it attracts the "black death" folks, which are usually those too new in the sport to have actually seen any skydiving deaths yet. It's cool to look the Grim Reaper in the eye and laugh at him. Up until the point where he swings his scythe and takes out a couple of your legs to let you know who's really the boss.

Likewise, I'm having trouble understanding those new car commercials on TV. They start with an elite athlete in their sport garb, then they disrobe down to their undies, and put on a suit and tie (for the males) or a black evening gown (for the females). Then you hear the voice-over say; "Pure aggression, in it's most refined form", and a photo of the car.

I don't think people should be buying cars in order to be "aggressive". That's bad for road safety. It implies that you can push other drivers around and defy traffic laws. They could do the same ad and talk about power and agility instead, and it would be perfect, but they don't. "Aggression" seems like the wrong message to me.

But I do like watching those hot women disrobe.

Is it just me, or is "Undertaker" a really bad name for a swooping canopy?

Cause swoopers on that canopy cut you up in the pattern:):) and it sounds slightly better than "overtaker"
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yeah, it is--waaaay bad. But maybe the mfr is indicating that this canopy has undertaken the task of out-flying all others.

American Heritage Dictioinary defines "undertaker" as (def #2) "One, especially an entrepeneur, that undertakes a task or job."

Somebody better tell the marketing boys over there in Germany that thier trade-name has lost something in translation. And also that the skydivers have gotten ahold of their speedriding wing!

Hi Nige',
"Undertaker," "Widowmaker," and or "Cratermaker" I'm sure the names have been used. 'remember Scare-us-valley's ol' DC-3 N157U was affectionately referred to as "57Undertaker" and also "57Ugly" either or, they fit, especially the day it spit the blade on the port engine on takeoff roll!!!!!!!!! As for the "bad name thing' well, jest' wants ya' to be "real careful" when ya' fly it!!;);)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

remember when Nova was a bad word? The joke running around was that the Chevy Nova was a lemon as Nova was purported to mean "no go" in Spanish (not exactly), then we saw many skydivers crash under Novas since the noses had a propensity to fold under on final, especially if you swooped it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Choosing Daedalus is wise. He was the father of that young rebel, balls to the wall Icarus, who we all know wouldn't take his father's advice.
(Of course, you could appreciate the cool factor, of being the most kick-ass feather wing flyer of all - until the wax melted. )

Cause swoopers on that canopy cut you up in the pattern:):) and it sounds slightly better than "overtaker"

That'll only make sense to people in the UK ("undertake" and "cut up" aren't used that way elsewhere).
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Hi guys,

well yes indeed the name Undertaker wouldn't be the best name for a canopy if we would have put it on the market. It was the name of a prototype in 2009. There were only a dozen made to test new fabrics, new sewing technology and some more features that will be used on the new canopy coming out early 2012 called the HAWX.
Since it was a prototype, we left our designer the choice of naming it.
And as other people said, the industry is full of names that people might not like, so we didn't really worried about that one for a prototype.

George
Firebird R&D
Eloy, AZ
R&D Firebird USA
Skyventure Arizona Instructor
Eloy, AZ