TitaniumLegs

Metal in your body due to skydiving.

One Accident. Really Bad. Multiple Surgeries.

99' Went in on A Mal.

Three Surgeries. 18 Months. 20 Hours total time on an operating table.

I have Cadaver Bone, Screws, Porcelain, Titanium, and a cotter pin.

The X-Rays are Outstanding. The regular pain is not. B|

If you are going to do it do it right. :S

Laters,
KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

A gust induced stall under an original long lined, ring-and-rope strato star in 1976 at Antioch in California ended up with screws and plates repairing right femur. B|

That was a jump where another jumper on the load had a mal and ended up under a 24' round unmodified reserve. It was windy, so I followed him down, sure that he'd be injured. Hahaha, he didn't get a scratch. Larry K, you still out there and jumping?

But a few years later I learned that winters were less that ideal with the internal metal work - so had it all removed. :S

No metal since, although I have had a few more broken bones due to skydiving over the period.

fergbird

What the hell was i doing there anyway???

I used to have a piece of shrapnel in my right cheek. Left it there for 10 years or so. One day this funny tumor sorta thing started growing around it from the scar tissue. Had it and the metal removed in 2000. Nothing skydiving related so far......although the canopy nazis are betting I WILL get some soon. :D

Dude, That's sick shit! All of my stainless was installed before skydiving!

All that you see was installed after a CRW jump in February of 2000. Broke it while taking a CRW dock at 7,000'. Fun landing the canopy. One of my fellow CRW team members flew our two stack in until about 200' giving me a straight in approach to the grass at Perris. One handed flare to a tumbling landing. Almost lost the arm. Instead I gained some metal. Everything you see in the xray is still in my arm. I believe my ortho was formerly a bridge engineer. Makes security checks at commercial airports interesting since 9/11.

Jack Gramley

"This was gonna be a variation of the "Seven/Nine Cell Posse" threads, but I got carried away."

Yo, Caledonian K-nail crew checking in!

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Got screws & a plate in my ankle - still sitting around watching the summer slip by w/no jumping - WAAAAAH!:(

It's no fun being broken....B|

same with me!! i broke mine two weeks ago, but the metal will stay in. I get a walking cast on tuesday. How long till you can jump again?

you forgot about the option for people with peircings.... alot of people didnt have them before they got in the sport.... well maybe they did..

Good point, but I was thinking more of involuntary:S metal parts. Chicks may dig scarsB|, but if they can't see the metal, not sure it scores much!

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

same with me!! i broke mine two weeks ago, but the metal will stay in. I get a walking cast on tuesday. How long till you can jump again?

Dunno at this point. I see the doc in 1 1/2 weeks to get a checkup & a surgery date (that'll be #5, yikes!) to get the metal out. Then it's time to rehab my broomstick-lookin lower leg back up to normal size again.

I've been supposed to be non-weightbearing on this sucker for 3 months now & can't wait to get going on rehab. I have had a walking "air-cast" thingy for about a month and can kind of limp around a little bit but the doc said that too much weight could bust the screws & really mess things up for me.

stylinmike

(>O]-<

You can be in my club any time you want. For you, I'll even change the rules!

Rules:
1. Be nice to Skymama.

Thanks! You have the best club ever! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Makes security checks at commercial airports interesting since 9/11.

Jack Gramley

Jack

I was so disappointed to finally make it back to an airport metal detector only to find out that my body metal (23 screws, 2 rods, 1 plate and a radial head) didn’t set off the detectors. After hearing your airport stories, I was totally looking forward to some of my own.

I must say this poll reminds me of typical liberal babble. You start with a poll asking how people have been seriously hurt. (Not leaving an option open for people to say they have never been hurt). Then in the end your results only represent people who have actually been hurt. So you can turn around and say 50% of skydivers have metal in their bodies, 25% in such a place, 18% in another and the remainder in miscellaneous places. A week from now somebody else can quote your innacurate poll. A month later somebody else can quote them. Before you know it, it will be accepted as "fact". Then somebody can propose a BSR to deal with the problem because by common knowledge we will then know that all skydivers will eventually have metal in them.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

After reading these...and seeing the photos...I'm pretty happy to just have 2 screws in my left knee and my big metal brace. At least the brace will eventually come off.

That's all for me & hopefully no more.

Oh yeah, just the 2 piercings in each ear. No desire for any more, thank you! :P

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

I was so disappointed to finally make it back to an airport metal detector only to find out that my body metal (23 screws, 2 rods, 1 plate and a radial head) didn’t set off the detectors. After hearing your airport stories, I was totally looking forward to some of my own.

Jason,

Most of the time, unless they have the metal detector set real high, I can squeek through without setting off the alarms. However, I still make sure that I am wearing a short sleeved shirt in case I do. After seeing all of the outside scar tissue from all of the surgeries, they tend to take my word that all that noise from their wand is not detecting something sinister.

One other fun story. I was passing through an airport late at night shortly after 9/11. Very few passengers at that time of night and as I was heading through the security checkpoint I noticed a training class for new security guards. Having a few hours to kill, I asked if they had trained on internal hardware yet. The trainer looked up with a big grin and asked if I was volunteering. I spent the next 30 minutes with people waving wands over my arm, examining my scars and feeling the metal and other devices through the skin. Seems they rarely get the opportunity to see the real thing during training. It killed the time until my next flight.

Jack Gramley