aprwvu

Saber 1 Mixed Reviws

I've been satisfied with my Sabre 170 and actually jump it a lot longer than I expected to (about 600 jumps on it).

But I would never trust a packer to pack it again - the only slammer that injured me was not my own packjob. Visited hospital as my neck felt immobilized. Thankfully nothing spinal. Due to stretched ligaments in my neck, I was sore for 4 months and had to change sleeping positions for that duration.

I still jump it. My own packjobs only. But that is no fun when I help organize a Rainbow Boogie.

Next canopy is probably a Pilot 140 or similar, as I've demoed many of those already.

To say I didnt roll the nose

For clarity and for your benefit, I followed my question with a question mark; it's not an accusation. It was based on my own experience with many packs and jumps on canopies that tended to open as hard or harder than the Sabre 1. Discussions like this may help those who need packing tips.

is somewhat of an insult.

Sorry, I didn't think you'd be so sensitive. You'll notice in the thread that many w/ higher jump #'s and more years than you have a higher opinion of the Sabre 1. That could be due to packing skills.

OBTW, Let me guess--when you rolled the nose, you didn't stuff each half into the center cell? [rhetorical this time]

they stopped making them,,nuff said

no, they made them since the very early 90s into 2001 - and after 10+ years of production they discontinued the original Sabre and released the Sabre2.

Your statement is equivalent of saying that any particular car model sucks because it is no longer produced.

The only model of Sabre I would NOT fly again is the 190 with the double brake lines. I loved everything about it but the openings were just brutal. I switched sliders twice, tried every packing method, had several Sabre pilots and a couple of riggers pack it for me - nothing helped. It finally opened so hard it broke 9 lines and tore the bottom skin. I recovered the canopy and still have it, but I have no intention of ever getting it airworthy again. I think it will make a nice warm pair of pants and jacket.
Honestly if I had figured a way to tame the openings I would still be jumping it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Well, I think it's fair to say the Sabre does not snivel much. ;) It was also the best selling canopy in the world for years and, at one point as I recall, more Sabres had been sold than any other sport canopy; ever. Don't know if that is still true...

I put ~2000 jumps on the 170, 150, 135, 120 and would go back to jumping one today if I did not have more modern options. Mostly brisk but reasonable openings for me, including flying camera.

Was never fond of the 190 with the alternative steering line/brake setup and thought openings were less easy to control, however. I had a few slammers with the 190...

Attention to packiing is important with the Sabre; slider at stops, good tight line stows, etc. Pocket or larger slider worked well for some but I never felt the need for one on any of the Sabres I owned.

For those thinking about jumping a Sabre1 it's probably worth considering that it's a 20+ year old design... Still, it's not a bad canopy even when considering canopy technology has moved forward significantly.

OBTW, Let me guess--when you rolled the nose, you didn't stuff each half into the center cell? [rhetorical this time]

Don't PD say that you shouldn't do this? I have only jumped Sabre 2's and have never rolled the nose, so I am trying to learn here.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Don't PD say that you shouldn't do this?

Dunno if they specifically nixed this for the Sabre 1. While it is certainly unsuitable for many newer canopies, it was a standard-enough practice on old-school square canopies that at least one other mfr. recommends it for similar application. Anyway, it works really well.

I have only jumped Sabre 2's and have never rolled the nose, so I am trying to learn here.

I appreciate that, Nigel. Sabre 2 is a way different animal than Sabre 1 and opens more softly anyway. I'm a little disappointed that PD kept the same name, but the original was marketed very successfully, hence the follow-up.

Don't PD say that you shouldn't do this?

Dunno if they specifically nixed this for the Sabre 1. While it is certainly unsuitable for many newer canopies, it was a standard-enough practice on old-school square canopies that at least one other mfr. recommends it for similar application. Anyway, it works really well.

I have only jumped Sabre 2's and have never rolled the nose, so I am trying to learn here.

I appreciate that, Nigel. Sabre 2 is a way different animal than Sabre 1 and opens more softly anyway. I'm a little disappointed that PD kept the same name, but the original was marketed very successfully, hence the follow-up.

Thanks
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Really I hope you keep dissing the Sabre, I'll try to refrain from promoting it. If we work together it will enable me to get inexpensive excellent canopies for many years. Since I jump the smaller sizes most people pass on them anyway.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Really I hope you keep dissing the Sabre, I'll try to refrain from promoting it. If we work together it will enable me to get inexpensive excellent canopies for many years. Since I jump the smaller sizes most people pass on them anyway.

;) +1

I've put around 130 jumps on my Sabre 190 (DOM. 94) with the double breaklines which are an extra faff.

All in all, the canopy has its good points and its bad points. I like the short recovery of the canopy on turns, and it is quite docile. It has a very powerful flare still, which i like.

What i'm not so much a fan of is the glide angle, as mine is rather ground hungry for its loading (~1.15-1.2) which means a bum spot means hanging on the rears.

When it comes to openings.. well I started jumping camera just after 200 Jumps and my view of the openings have changed. Each opening is pretty hard, and I've been experimenting with various packing styles to help (with mixed success).

I've never had an opening so hard that I've injured myself, and my container has no padding to mitigate it.. However, whenever folk see the video's they do say the openings are ridiculously quick..

Would you fly one?

oh yeah, I mean who hasn't ? you're missing out on experiencing a classic canopy. oh its old so its no good eh?:S

My Sabre still gets in the air with new lines and still shiny new looking 'cause it was looked after properly not like a lot of trashed 'car cover' sabres out there.
Reliable , Fun , and a finger up to the new or nothing crowd.

Its in my collection of classic parachutes including a stolen (and not forgotton packer matey! ) Stratostar, Comet, Maverick, Excalibur and Katana, (with an unloved Hobbit and x228 thrown in as extras.

20 years on and still kicking , that's some good design work.

My first canopy was a Sabre1 170, I put a few hundred jumps on it. My back up container now has a Sabre1 150, probably 40 jumps on that one. No complaints, no hard openings, no issues. I wouldn't use it as my primary canopy, as I'm hopelessly in love with my Nitro, but it's still a good canopy.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda