coty.watson

begineers gear

ask your instructors. they know more about you than anyone on here and know what would be best for you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Instructors should be your source numero uno. The important factors are wingloading (thus size) and canopy shape.

I jumped a Voyager 220 WL=0.83 (similar to a PD Navigator) all through student status. Around jump 30 I tried a friends Sabre 190 WL=0.97, put around 10 jumps on it. Tried a friends sabre 170 WL=1.08 for one jump.

While I felt comfortable with the 170 around jump 50, I ultimately choose to go with a safire2 190. I plan on staying in the sport for a long time and a conservative canopy progression doesn't hurt. Good luck in your gear search. Check dz.com everyday. That's what I did for a very long time. It will eventually work out.

Cheers
Stearny

1. Capitalize
2. Punctuate
3. Look at what others at your DZ have and ask about their gear. As you go through the A-license progression, gear related things will come up. Ask your instructors and riggers for details about anything you come across that you don't know about. Look at classifieds to see what's available at what price range. Read about the containers and canopies in a Para-Gear or Square1 catalog. Don't go out and buy the first thing that looks like a bargain; keep asking questions and looking around for a while.
You don't have to outrun the bear.