MattyBoy

Life Choice

OK people, here's the dilemma:

I'm english and have been travelling around the world for about 8 months now. I've got as far as Australia and have been working in Melbourne which is a city I absolutely adore. My employer has given me the option of something called 'sponsorship' wherby I have to work for him for two years without leaving the country (in a decent job) and in return I will be granted Australian residency and eventually will be able to hold two passports. (British & Ozzie).

The choice is pretty clearcut: I either stay in a place I love (with excellent dropzones just down the road!) and get something I really want (an Ozzie passport)
OR
I return to my wonderful family and friends who unfortunately live about as far away from here as you can get. (In London, a city I can definitely do without!)

As a group, I value your opinions greatly...PLEASE HELP...this decision is driving me mad
Thanks

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Do what you love, your family will should support you..

while family is an important part of life it should never be your life, they cannot live for you, cannot be happy 'for' you. Only you can do that.

distance is near irrelevant now. You can be as close to anyone as you wish to be, its all about the effort, not the physical proximity..I have friends on the otherside of the planet i talk to daily and friends not an hour away i hear from only when i make an effort to do so...

Well...I have to say....I did the travelling the world thing for 10 years in the military. I had fun.....but as I get a little on the older side (Turn 32 this year) I start to realize how important family is to me. See....I have learned that when everyone else abandons you....it's family that will always be there. If you are young.....I say go for it. I think you would probably be better off for the experience. Besides....2 years isn't really that long when you are young.

I'm not THAT young (26)...my philosophy has always been that when I hit 30, I'll start to think about being a bit responsible (unlikely I know!). I'm thinking I can get all this business out of the way before I'm thirty which still fits in with the big life plan?!

I'm thinking I can get all this business out of the way before I'm thirty which still fits in with the big life plan?

Sounds good to me!!! I think I was about 26 when I went to live in South Korea for 14 1/2 months. It was an interesting time....although I think my liver is still holding a grudge. :D

In ten years will you sit in conversation with some friends, deep into your pints, and everyone talking about the things we should have done.... Would you tell them that you really wish you had:

a. Stayed in Melbourne? or
b. Went back to London?

It's a tough call for sure, being in a place that you love or being with the people that you love most.

fwiw - having friends all over the world is not a bad thing and family will always be there. The world's not that big a place that you can't stay in touch with everyone who matters most with just a little effort.

stylinmike

(>O]-<

Families are overrated - unless you have left kids behind.

Also, I have some close friends that I sometimes don't see for years at a time. When we do get together we have a great time.

Email is just as valid as conversation, as far as a means of human communication. If email had been invented before speech, people would say things like, "I see my family all the time, but it is just not the same as email."

Words aren't real

You can change your mind and move back to London far more easily than you can change your mind and move back to Australia.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You won't get this offer a second time - take it ! As a person who lives 3000 mi. from most of his family and only sees them every few years, I can tell you that the time will pass quickly. In just two years you'll be able to fly home, tell everyone how much you love them, and then you can thank God you're not stuck in London. Sometimes getting what we want involves a few hard choices and some sacrifices in the short run. Do it, stay in Australia. And believe me, you'll be happy that you did.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

No, its two years from the time I take the sponsorship...on my present visa, I'm only allowed to work for any one employer for a maximum of three months...so I've had a few different jobs since I've been here

I don't think you need to think about this anymore do you. I'm sure your family will want the best for you. London is not good for anyone. Anyway youv'e spent enuf time there if thats were yer from. Why not stay and invite the family over for xmas or something. I'm sure Xmas in Austraila rocks, and your family can live with hanging out there, for a few weeks :)

Hope you don't get Banned!

As an Australian...I voted for you to stay here. Not many people get the wonderful opportunity that you've received, and in a magnificent country as ours. I would love to have the experience to be able to live in another country and to get paid for it!

Just remember that if it all turns to shit here, you can always go home. If you go home now...you may never be offered this wonderful opportunity ever again in your life!:)

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

It's a tough choice..only you can decided. Im 54 yrs old,
two years out of your life isn't a lot...will you be allowed to fly home for a vacation..or do you have stay for a continuous period? Im thinking if i were you...id stay.
You know London better than I, but a friend of mine had a job there for a year..the weather was so bad, she could hardly ever jump..found it pretty much a drag.
Did a few years in the army..i didn't have a choice as to where they told me to live...i did the time...it don't mean a thing now. Stay.

I say stay. If you want to see your family, or they want to see you, they can bring themselves to you. There's too many reasons to stay and not enough reasons by far to leave. I've never been "down under" but I'd love to go; I'm told there's nowhere on earth as beautiful.
Enjoy it, two years isn't a long time, really. And family? Like I said, that's what AIRPLANES are for (besides jumping out of them!;))

Blondes do have more fun!