mchamp

PD's New Orange Vectran lines

New Orange lines "Yields a longer line life than HMA line previously used as the default line on this product, 2) Is smaller in size/diameter than comparable sized HMA, 3) Is more resistant to abrasion and maintains its strength better than comparable sized HMA" (PD).

Any details as to why & how they are able to last longer and are thinner(less drag?) at the same time?

Also could these lines be applied to other canopies such as the Katana or do they only go with the Competition Velocity?

More detail & info: http://www.thepdblog.com/pdblog/2011/10/competition-velocity-now-available-with-orange-vectran-lines.html
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

My concern is that these are orange coated lines and as such that coating will begin to wear off around 20-30 jumps +/- and will appear to be worn long before they actually are. Conversely, it may also make it harder for people to determine when their lines really are worn and should be replaced. It will be interesting to see how much or little this catches on.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My concern is that these are orange coated lines and as such that coating will begin to wear off around 20-30 jumps +/- and will appear to be worn long before they actually are. Conversely, it may also make it harder for people to determine when their lines really are worn and should be replaced. It will be interesting to see how much or little this catches on.

These are competition linesets (at the smallest diameter they offer), PD has done extensive testing and the lines are a lot more durable than the previous HMA linesets. The coating does not wear off after 30 jumps. Trust that Pd has gone through a lot of work before they released this product. If you jump a comp velocity, or a regular velocity and desire a lineset that has minimal drag then this is the way to go. This isnt for regular jumpers or work jumps (with the smallest diameter lines) Its primarily for competition canopy pilots. But it lasts a lot longer than the original 300lb hma lineset PD had available. PD is always working and looking for the best product to provide for their customers. Im not a rep for PD but a happy customer:)

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Hi Scott,

I've been jumping the 300 lines for about a year now and I've found that the coating, depending on landing area, stays on pretty well. For grassy DZ's it takes about 50-70 jumps to start showing a more dull orange. In sandy area's significantly less.

That said, the lines themselves are easy to see wear on (like other vectran lines). I can say that the lifespan, compared to equivalent hma, is definitely longer.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey Ian, thanks for the confirm. I had a feeling that any type of coating, short of impregnated lines, would and could be worn off of the line at some point.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

New Orange lines "Yields a longer line life than HMA line previously used as the default line on this product, 2) Is smaller in size/diameter than comparable sized HMA, 3) Is more resistant to abrasion and maintains its strength better than comparable sized HMA" (PD).

Any details as to why & how they are able to last longer and are thinner(less drag?) at the same time?

The coating that we use is a molten Spectra with a colored UV inhibitor. We have been doing this for about 10 years on both HMA and Vectran.

The very first "coated" line that we made up was a pepermint colored 580 Vectran. We coated that line material for people that were jumping in dirty enviroments like the desert.

I was really impressed about the service life of the coated lines over non-coated ones and made the decision to offer both to the public.

The reason that the lines last longer is very simple. The coating wears first.

So, If it takes 50-100 jumps to start wearing the coating down to the virgin line material, this would be 50-100 jumps the virgin line material has not be exposed to, thus an additional 50-100 jumps added to the life of the lines.

As far as the strength of Vectran vs Technora,...Well Technora always wins as you get into the smaller braids.

This is why we offer coated Technora for Comp Line sets and have had really good experience with them.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3273126;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

So are these vectran in the 500 stregnth that they are also selling the exact same vectran as their normal 500 vectran, but they have the orange coating?

They say the 300 vectran is thinner or about the same as 300 hma they sell, which I believe (as I've seen both). What I am wondering is if the orange vectran is thinner than their regular vectran. If its the same line, but has a coating, I would argue that the vetran in the 500 tensile strength would be larger diameter than its 500 hma counterpart.

Curious if you know. I just ordered a new velo with 500 hma and would love to switch to orange vectran if it is a different line type than their normal 500 vectran.

Cheers,
Travis

So are these vectran in the 500 stregnth that they are also selling the exact same vectran as their normal 500 vectran, but they have the orange coating?

No they are entirely different to the old style Vectran. The weave, shape, and thickness of the line.

They say the 300 vectran is thinner or about the same as 300 hma they sell, which I believe (as I've seen both). What I am wondering is if the orange vectran is thinner than their regular vectran.

Yes. It is NOT the older vectran with an orange coating. It's a totally different line.

Blues,
Ian

Where does PD specify these orange coated lines when ordering. I looked all over the lines with UV coating when I just got this last set and never saw a thing. >>:( Wish they would have had em advertised as I strongly believe they last longer

Well, it sounds like they are only offering the lines on comp velos right now after having my dealer chat with the factory. I'm guessing this is mostly a marketing thing so as to make the comp velo more attractive to buyers.

I was thinking of just buying a field replaceable set of 500s, but I'd probably have to put a "comp" lineset on my regular velo. According to the trim charts on the PD website, however, the linesets between the two canopies are exactly the same.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VE_075-120LT.pdf

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VC-071-111-Line-Trim-Chart.pdf

Cheers,
Travis

According to the trim charts on the PD website, however, the linesets between the two canopies are exactly the same.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VE_075-120LT.pdf

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VC-071-111-Line-Trim-Chart.pdf

I *think* that's accurate, but I'm not 100% sure. It would be best to contact PD directly for confirmation. I know the lower control lines are longer on the VC though.

Correct. The only two differences I see on the trim charts (lets just say on the 79 since that's what I fly) is the C stabilizer slack and the brake stow to the toggle length. So unless PD is manufacturing something different than what their trim charts show (which would foolish if someone ever need to to replace lines based on the trim chart) the lineset is essentially the same for both.

Cheers,
Travis

Correct. The only two differences I see on the trim charts (lets just say on the 79 since that's what I fly) is the C stabilizer slack and the brake stow to the toggle length. So unless PD is manufacturing something different than what their trim charts show (which would foolish if someone ever need to to replace lines based on the trim chart) the lineset is essentially the same for both.

Unless they changed velo line trims. there is a huge difference in line sets I believe. I had one of my Velo 111s relined this past winter and went with a 500 HMA line set. Manufacture of both of my canopies was 2006. I notice a big difference in rear riser power, front riser pressure as well as openings seem a bit quicker. Only reason I can tell is I switch back and forth between rigs while working. I would talk with PD and ask if they changed over to a new line set on the velo when they released the comp velo. I could be wrong and I usally am. I just know my original velo line set is longer and requires one more full stow in my bag then my relined.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

I've never noticed that after numerous velo relines and various velos from over the years. Openings and flight characteristics could certainly change just from having fresh lines. HMA can still go slightly out of trim.

The velocity linetrim chart on the PD website is dated from 2007 and the comp linetrim chart is from 2009 and they show the suspension lines as being identical in dimension.

Cheers,
Travis

I've never noticed that after numerous velo relines and various velos from over the years. Openings and flight characteristics could certainly change just from having fresh lines. HMA can still go slightly out of trim.

The velocity linetrim chart on the PD website is dated from 2007 and the comp linetrim chart is from 2009 and they show the suspension lines as being identical in dimension.

When I had my reline done I requested Comp line trim with 500 HMA. I had vectran on it previously. I just know there is a big difference in the way both of my canopies fly now as to last year before the new line set. One major thing I notice is that I can stay on the rears longer on the newly lined canopy. On the old canopy I feel the rears go "mushy" alot earlier. Could also be they changed line trims for the 111 since my manufacture date as well.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213