Michele

Airginity and a (no)cut

RippedCord (Keith) just got his license, and today I'll get to take his airginity...first fun jump as a licensee...hehehe, this will be fun. I promise him nothing odd, nothing adventuresome, nothing surprising. Simple easy exit, simple easy dive...plan the dive, dive the plan.

He gets gear from the school, and I bring mine over to the bench. I watch him go through a thorough gear check - and MJOSparky is there, watching me watch him. We encounter a cypres readout which I've never seen - '8888', and, since this is something I have no clue about, I stop the check, and go and get someone who does know. And Sparky gets the Master Rigger at Elsinore. After some discussion, the gear is returned to the school, and another rig is brought out. And we begin anew. No issues there, and Keith pronounces it good to go. I have him check my gear, and when that's done, as well, we go manifest. We have an hour's call, so we make it to the mock up to start walking the new to him exit.

He and I work out what it will be like - he is floating, I am linked, and we walk it about 15 times. The jump will consist simply of us staying linked to arm grips, and handling fall rate and staying on heading. Cora and Clownburner will lurk, and they don't realize what a comfort they are to me..I am nervous, because if there's a problem, I feel like it will be my fault, and I want Keith to not be left alone in the sky should I not be able to handle this. But they don't know this, and Keith doesn't know this, either. It's my first airginity jump, and I just want it to go exceptionally smoothly and well for Keith...and I don't want to screw it up. 30 minute call, and we walk over to start gearing up. Manage to get everything together by the 20 minute call, so back to the mock-up for more walking through now with gear. Time to load.

First on, last out. The ride is hot, brutally so...and when the door is opened, and the pilot opens his window, I can smell the dusty heat rising from the floor of the desert...Keith contains himself well, although I can see how nervous he's gotten. Not scared, not at all, but that nervous excitement which tingles the belly and stretches the senses to the breaking point. Ah, but now we have green light, geared up, to the door we go. Keith leans out, and spots - but he's so quick about it I know he hasn't really seen the "X"...which is fine, because I have, and we're good to go. Climb out, and Keith is doing well. I slap his legs, the signal to lower down a bit, and he does - all of an inch. I giggle, and reach blindly up and out for his arm grips. Shake once, shake twice, and there's the count...

And we are out. He has done it perfectly, and I have managed to do my part well. We slide down the hill, and level out. And I can feel the spin start. Drift to my right. uh, no-way. No uncontrolled spins right now. I have flashes blinking through my head - spinning wildly, torn apart by centrifugal force, tossed about and flung wide...maybe into the lurkers. Uh, not bloody likely, but what do I do? I push with my right arm and drop my left knee...fall rate is easily worked out - I just need to be really flat...so I stick my leg down...and the spin slows but doesn't stop. Push my knee farther down...and there. Heading regained. Keith is watching the ground, so I shake him a little, trying to get his attention...and he looks up. The moment he does, he relaxes and his arch reappears...and now, because I had not anticipated that, we are spinning the other way! Quickly counter that one by switching knees, and now we are stable, not spinning, holding heading, so I start to relax myself. I make some faces at him - my best Harpo Marx imitation no less - but he's watching the ground again. So I shake him, and this time, when he looks up, I flatten my legs a bit and tug gently at him. And then...

A chaste kiss pass, no tongue.

And back off fairly quickly, to see his expression. His eyes fly wide and a huge grin splits his face. Sparks dance in his baby blues, and I know he was laughing out loud, and then he lets out a WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO...and he drops grips and emphatically thumbs up and shakes his hands around. He is bursting. And I laugh along with him. How great is this, 7K, dive going well, and he is loving it!

Break off, he turns and tracks, and I watch him start to deploy. My turn to break off, track, deploy, and dance under canopy. I see the whole group's canopy, and just holler into the morning blue for sheer joy of friends in the sky, a wonderful jump, a most excellent memory...thanks, Keith. That will be with me for my entire life.

Down we get, and debrief. I find out our descent rate is slow - 114 I think...for Keith and I, both big people, that is remarkable for me. I make a few comments, "arch more", "better alti checks", "eye contact", and you can see Keith soaking the information up like a thirsty man in the desert aching for water. Which is, of course, the truth. It's now about 100 degrees, winds are picking up, and we are all sweating like pigs. How great is this? We get some Gatorade and water, and come back. I manifest us on a 40 minute call, and this time, the plan is same exit, me and Keith as base, with Diablopilot, Cora and Clownburner coming in to dock to make a 5-way round. Keith expresses some trepidation, but with encouragement from me, he is willing to try it. I remind him that it likely won't build, JP has incredible experience, and that he and I will be fine...if he gets too concerned, I will call it off, but I think he can do this just fine. He looks at me, and I can see him take a breath, and then say "yeah, let's try it"...

Walk it through, gear up, walk it through, and into the plane. The ride is very bumpy - first pocket at 200 feet, and bouncing all the way up to about 7K. I know the canopy ride will be tough - winds have picked up, and I am reconsidering the jump. I lean over to Keith, and let him know the canopy ride will be bouncy, and ask him if he wants to scratch - and offer to ride down with him if he wants. He thinks about it, as we lurch through the hot desert sky, and then says he will be fine. I ask him again in a bit, but the answer is the same...let's go play...and we speak briefly about how to alter his landing pattern in these winds. Jump run, power down, nervous energy sings through the plane. Groups begin to leave, and, as always, the plane seems to stretch as it empties. And as the plane rocks as groups leave, I see Keith's belly imitating the plane - he is anxious, but he's also just fine. I know that feeling well - and I know he will be fine in the sky...

And into the door we go, JP climbing out to the camera step, and Cora's hand on my pack. Keith climbs out, and, as I take grips, I shake...and then stop. My feet are wrong...I readjust, and retake grips, and shake twice...and almost miss the count. But my head's in his belly, and I get the distance closed fast enough so that we don't go over. And now we are in the blue again, and he's got great eye contact, watching me, and out of the corner of my eye I see JP approach, and gently break our grips. And Keith's eyes are popping, and he's grinning - he is seeing a dock for a threeway for the first time, and he is literally vibrating from excitement. As the dock is successful, his grin widens, if possible, and he is now looking from me to JP, and he's just having a ball. I slide my right hand down to just above his alti, and now, Cora comes in. She is off his left arm, and Keith looks around. I shake his arm, and he gets his eyes back to the center. Cora comes in, gently breaking grips, and now we are four. And I think I am glad Keith has a helmet on, because he is just about to explode! Clownburner comes in to my left, between JP and I - he is there, but we are a little bit low, nearing Keith's breakoff point, and Clown makes the perfect decision that, even though he is right there, he will just hold back. I shake Keith's hand to remind him to watch his alti, and, as planned, 6k comes, we drop grips, and he and JP go off on a track...and as we watch them fly away, I am again struck by how wonderful this circle of friends in the sky is, how amazing, how very special, how glorious.

And now we turn and track, and I end up down wind tracking. As I see the freeway beneath me, I realize I am wayyyy far out, and flare out of the track, clear airspace, and deploy. I immediately locate the dz, and riser turn towards it. Checking airspace for canopies, I am clear, so I decide to leave the breaks stowed for a bit...and try as hard as I can to shrink. I crab sideways towards the DZ, looking for outs, thinking about the motorcross area, and then pop the brakes because I need to start tacking towards something that doesn't have moving vehicles on it. Zig zagging, flat turns, and rear risers manage to bring me back close to where I want to be, but there is no discernable pattern for me. I figure there will be no downwind leg, no cross wind leg, just turn onto final and land...and I flatturn as low as I dare, and manage to make it somewhat close. I land, and gather up my monster chute, and embark on the Battan Death march through the desert...

Once the group reforms, we all decide that the winds are far too funky to go play in, so we talk. Muj is there, PDS has made an appearance - what a sweetheart, just a wonderful guy - and so we sit, beneath a tree, discussing leg straps and philosophy, sipping water and cracking pistachios. And again, I am struck by the sense of family which pervades this group in particular - and in skydiving in general. How special and wonderful - a day spent with good friends, playing above the sere desert, tasting the wind, exploring ourselves and our world unlike most people.

I loan my gear to PDS, and send him into the sky. He needs a moment with the blue, and finds it there, under my canopy. He is good enough to handle the winds, but is unused to such a large canopy, and has a bit of a struggle getting it back under control in these winds after he lands. It's humorous, watching him, and I realize how funny it must be to see a significantly shorter woman struggle with the same canopy. It's all good, though, he's had a good ride, played in the sky, and I see the relaxation in his face as he comes in. I smile, because I know that feeling well.

As the day dwindles and the heat and the winds subside, Cora and Keith and I decide the perfect ending of this day would be a high alti pull and clear. We manifest very early, last load, and I walk Keith through a new exit. It is new for him, so the nerves are flying again. We discuss what to do if the canopies get too close to each other; how to follow; how to stagger the exit. He is going first, then me, then Cora...

And we load up for the last jump of the day, and ride the golden light of sunset into the sparkling, gentle blue. We can feel the chill in the air as the day softens, and, as I peak down out of the window, the groundshadows loom large. I think about this, and knowing we will get extra alti, I ask Keith to look out the window and see if he's comfy with landing in the gloom of a valley at twilight. He nods, but I am not sure about it. We had taken off a tad bit late, and it is getting dark down there. I decide we will pull at 12K instead of out the door...inform the pilot of the decision. And about 4 minutes later, rethink that, and Cora is thinking the same, so we inform the pilot we are pulling at 10K...

Green light, last out. Keith watches the jumpers before him away, and counts. He crouches in the door, takes a deep breath, and hops out. Perfect and beautiful; as he slides down the hill, I can see his expression, one of surprise and happiness. He is watching the plane, and he stays perfectly stable...and I crouch, and breathe, and out I go, and don't do nearly as well, and end up away from the plane. As I sink down through the day, I slowly circle, seeing the mountains darken, and the orange sun resting in their arms. I see the dusty blue in the east, the night edge, creeping into the world. And now it's deployment time, and I toss and watch my canopy open, and it is so quiet and special and otherworldly up here at 9K, alone in the sunset.

Pop the brakes, canopy control check. WTF is going on with my left brake? It's catching on something. The canopy itself seems fine...I scan up the brakeline to see if it's frayed or anything, and note that my goggles are fuzzy, and my vision is not clear. I pull them down around my neck, and look again. It looks all right up top, clean, clear, straight, but there is something definitely wrong. But what? I turn right to see if it happens on that side...no. I flare, to see if it can, and that's alright, but that tugging hitch happens. So I put both toggles in my left hand, lean and reach with my right, and run my hand up from the bottom of the left brake...

And there it is, a knot. And not a slipknot which can be pulled out by tension...an honest to god knot, over and under. About 8-10 inches above the toggle. As I feel it, I think about Holly, and about spinning into the ground should it get stuck; I think about cutting away. I am at 8K, and I will never see my canopy again; I love my canopy. And I think maybe I can land it. Is it frayed? No. Is there any crinkling or malformation above or below the knot? No. And I have 6K feet to decide...and so I yank the toggle down, and feel - with everything I am, I feel my canopy's response. I note where the hitch is, how low I have to pull to get it below the guide ring, and practice balancing it with the right toggle. And flaring from that point. And then do it again and again, over and over. And 720 it left, to see if it will do anything wonky. And while the hitch is there, the canopy is responding well without any surprises. As I stare into the gloom of the fading day, I think...planning how to handle it if it sticks low, and decide to do a very long, wide pattern on approach, and come in with it at about 1/4 brakes - which puts the knot under the guide ring. 1500 feet, no playing under that -long straight in approach. And as I decide to not cut, I look up at the mountains, and watch the orange ball melt behind it, reaching into the sky with it's purple and golden arms, and again my breath is taken away...and know I will be fine, whatever happens, I will be just fine. How content I am in the sky - how whole, how complete...

And I do exactly as I plan, long straight approach, careful, 1/4 brakes, and end up landing out by the swoop pond...fine, even though I slide it out a bit, I am fine. I gather my stuff up and bring it in, and have it looked at by SonnyChiba (Leon, you're amazing!) and by Grasshopper, and then hear about Cora's slammer. And think, what imp was in the sky at sunset? What teasing, playful imp was there, and again think how lucky we are that it wasn't a hungry imp, just a playful one.

And as we drive home, slowly because of Cora's pain, I again reflect on how wonderful this day has been, how special and how unique. And I realize how far I've progressed from when I started to where I am now...and I can't stop smiling. I can't help but feel pride, and my heart gets big in my chest because of the love that is here in this sport - the respect, the family, and the joy that is in the sky, and that I carry with me in my groundbound world. How glorious is this, our dancing in the sky together? How wonderful is this, really?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

As usual, you put things into words much better than I could ever hope to.

You did a wonderful job with your first coaching experience! I was very proud to see the way you handled yourself. You did not need me, DiabloPilot or Clownburner in the skies with you - you did wonderful! (But, I'm glad we were in the sky playing with you. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Thank you for the lovely post, Michele. It was like I was there after all. :)). I am just glad that you had such a beautiful time with such good friends.

It seems like Keith had a wonderful group to share his first few non-student jumps with. That is so important. You know that we have never jumped together, yet, Michele. LOL! However, when I first began to jump and was on the same load as you, you made me feel so calm, Michele. I will never forget that. :)
Right now, I have a new friend that I recently met at the DZ whom I have been trying to jump with as he is from out of town and is having difficulty finding new people to jump with. You were wonderful to befriend Keith as you are a wonderful teacher and such a giving person. It reminds me that I should be even more giving of myself.

And I realize how far I've progressed from when I started to where I am now...and I can't stop smiling. I can't help but feel pride

Wasn't too long ago I was sitting next to you as we went up to do a 6 way... and you were thinking seriously about not jumping. Now you're encouraging another new jumper to do a 5 way.

I'm proud of you too. :)

My friend Michele,

This post was so enjoyable to read. I began to tingle after reading only a few sentences.
As I read on I was brought up into the sky with RippedCord, your friends and you.

RippedCord was very lucky to have you there with him. You must have made him feel so comfortable. He can read this post and relive it every time he does.

Michele, you really know how to capture a reader’s attention. I know first hand because of the way so many people personally responded to me about “Rebel with a Dream”.

I hope that one day I will be able to be look out (like Keith did), and share the skies with you.

Your friend,

Rebel

I've already heard this story. Try to come up with some new material.

You really want me to tell about a friend who fell down the stairs with no help from any kind of chemical? That's a funny story.....:P

Geesh, RippedCord hasn't even read this...Give a man a kiss at 7K, and oomph, the cold shoulder. ;) (hee hee!)

Art, if there is a way for me to fly with you ever, in the time it takes me to scream "yes" I will be there. how cool would that be - sharing the sky with my friend????? I am not good enough for that yet, though, so I will practice really hard so we can do this someday....

Thanks, you guys. It's really neat to see how far I've come, especially because of all the challenges. And I suspect Airweenie is gone - has not been around for the last 5 or so jumps - sure, nervous, but not horridly so. I wonder what changed? And I think I'm a fair "teacher"...at least, I didn't kill Keith, or anyone else for that matter...;) It's all good when that doesn't happen.

It was such a great day!!!!!!! I wanna do it again!!!!

Ciels-
Michele

And I realize how far I've progressed from when I started to where I am now...and I can't stop smiling. I can't help but feel pride

Wasn't too long ago I was sitting next to you as we went up to do a 6 way... and you were thinking seriously about not jumping. Now you're encouraging another new jumper to do a 5 way.

I'm proud of you too. :)

man you yanks get it good.
We are not allowed to do rel work until after stage 6 Bel tables and you lot do it straight after license quals:)

Michelle I hope you type really fast, that epic would have taken me all week to type and still would notr sound as good:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Rebel... Just wanted to let you know how inspiring your story was to me and many others! Our friend Michele wrote the words, but you did the deed! You're a great man! Thanks for sharing it all with us! And I LOVE the avatar!!!

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I hope you type really fast

Yes, Squeak, I do...something like 90 wpm. Cora's seen me, too.

And Muenkel? You wish I had twelve fingers. For what, I dunno, but you wish.

Ciels-
Michele