jamelin123

analog, digital, audible altimeter..what to get?

ill be picking up an altimeter this weekend and im not really sure what i wanna get. im used to the altimaster galaxy 3 and ive also used the altitrack.im looking at the viso II or maybe a neptune 2..really looking for something i can use for quite some time and not have to spend a ton of money on. hoping to get one around the 250 mark

As a new jumper, would recommend keeping it simple and having a manual wrist altimeter like a Galaxy. You don't want to worry about batteries dying or malfunction on ride up, leaving you without a visual alti. A L&B Optima would be a good audible backup, and nice since it will also do pattern altitude beeps. Only after you are 100% comfortable with gauging altitudes by sight, and can fly a pattern without looking at your altimeter, would I then consider an electronic wrist alti.Even then I personally prefer the analog mechanical on my wrist. My Galaxy is going on 12 years without a problem. It just works.

All always, this is only my opinion. Talk to your instructors, blah blah blah.

Altimeters are a good example of an item that is best bought used, unless of course money is not a concern for you. If you aren't in a real big hurry, just check the classifieds several times per day and jump on good deals (not lousy deals - bad condition/too expensive) when they show up. Even if you don't like what you buy and ultimately want to get something else, you'll be able to easily sell it (within 1 day) without losing money.

If you're going to buy an analog, my advice is to not be tempted by the Altitrack, but instead go for a Galaxy (it says "Galaxy" on the dial) with the glow-in-the-dark face. You should be able to get one for $100. Don't get the previous generation before the Galaxy (Alti-III? I think they were called), as these don't have the inexpensive and easily replaceable lens. If you do get the earlier version, it should cost less. The AltiII is much older, larger, and not appropriate for a wrist or hand mount location.

The Viso, VisoII, and Neptune are all commonly available used, just got to be fast to get them when they show up, but watch out for those that have had a tough life. You should be able to get close up pics showing that they haven't been abused and the display works.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

honestly id rather buy an altimeter new just so i know there are no issues, it'll be taken care of. any other gear will be used gear such as container, canopies, and headgear..comparing a new to a used altimeter the price difference would be worth the extra 50 bucks or so.

Pick up a new Galaxy. No need to go with an audible or digital if you're just starting out.

KISS

the viplo ft-50 is another, analogue, barometric altimeter; i still use mine when i forgot the charge the N3.

and i also vote for buying a new one! if you take good care of it! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

need to look into a wrist mount because i dont like the hand mount it came with very much ***

if you go with the wrist mount look into getting the wrist band type. i have seen video a jumper managed to get his lines caught in the wrist mount. He still managed to land and flare with one arm pined to the top of his risers and the other holding both toggles for steering and flare

I've always jumped with a basic clock face barometric alti. No batteries, no maintenance, etc.

For whatever this is worth: I found that I can "glance" at the clock face altimeter and know exactly what it says, whereas with a Neptune I had to take more time to actually "read" the numbers.