Bonedaddy

Pegasus/Firefly/Vector

After many years in the sport I've gotten too old and brittle and am selling my gear. I've got a Pegasus main, and a Firefly reserve packed in a Vector and I don't have a clue what to ask for it. Can somebody give me some help here? Also, forgive me if this isn't the right forum to ask this question in.

After many years in the sport I've gotten too old and brittle and am selling my gear. I've got a Pegasus main, and a Firefly reserve packed in a Vector and I don't have a clue what to ask for it. Can somebody give me some help here? Also, forgive me if this isn't the right forum to ask this question in.

how many jumps does your gear have ?
any repairs done or needing to be done ?
what are the DOMs ?
what size person is it made for ?

how many jumps does your gear have ?
any repairs done or needing to be done ?
what are the DOMs ?
what size person is it made for ?

Just pulled out my logbooks and checked. The Pegasus, Firefly, and Vector were all bought new in November 1981. The Pegasus has 146 jumps and is in great condition (alternating blue and white cells). The Firefly is in mint condition with 2 reserve rides on it. The Vector is blue and white and is also in great shape. Nothing needs any repairs. I weighed 180 while jumping the rig and it landed me softly.

There is really no way to sell that gear in todays market.

The gear is simply too old to sell as jumpable. It is also nowhere near intersting/old enough to be of interest to "vintage collectors/jumpers".

A rigger may not want to pack gear over 20/25ys old (depends on which country and which rigger).
Both canopies are non-current models, in fact a newer jumper would not like how the pegasus opens (too hard), flies (too slow) and flares (not enough).
Also the gear is likely not AAD ready, pretty much a must for a rig these days you will not find that many people anymore who will jump without a AAD.

The best you could do is sell the main and reserve canopies as a car cover/shade, or give them away. If you get a few beers for them, more power to you.
Your best bet would be ebay I think, if I were you I'd sell both canopies separate and list them as non-jumpable/decoration, bin the vector.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I dsagree. Put them in the classifieds and see what happens - If I had the money I would definitely buy the container to use for CRW so I wouldnt have to keep swapping out my main, and I know a few other people who have recently bought old old gear for CRW or for water jumps. Even these days not every jumper is afraid to jump without an AAD.
I am not familiar with the Pagasus but I wouldnt have a problem buying an old canopy just to have as a backup in case I lost my main during a cutaway (again, if I had the money to spare) - an old canopy would be better than sitting on the ground until I saved up enough to replace my main.
I would be very surprised if you got anything for the reserve though, other than maybe selling it on Ebay as a car cover - but you never know.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

There is really no way to sell that gear in todays market.

The gear is simply too old to sell as jumpable. It is also nowhere near intersting/old enough to be of interest to "vintage collectors/jumpers".

A rigger may not want to pack gear over 20/25ys old (depends on which country and which rigger).
Both canopies are non-current models, in fact a newer jumper would not like how the pegasus opens (too hard), flies (too slow) and flares (not enough).

Ever jumped a Pegasus? Best canopy I ever owned in 2,500 jumps. Opened perfectly (and softly) Great for accuracy (Stable in deep brakes) Landed softly and a great CRW Canopy.

I think 1981 is going to be an original Vector. (I may be wrong, to far to go down stairs and look) Velcro on the reserve pin protector and old style Vector reserve PC. And what type of main deployment?

I haven't seen an original Vector in the air for a long time. At least most had the PC's changed. Most folks, including me that jump old Vectors for second, third, fourth, and sometimes primary rigs jump Vector II's. I'm sure a lot of the new folks don't even realize that there was a Vector before the Vector II and III. Be up front about that if you do sell it. I doubt I would pack a Vector I PC. And 30 years is getting old for anything.

The Pegasus with low jumps is as good an F-111 canopy for old timers as any.

There are riggers that would pack the 30 year old firefly but I'm not one. Not for someone's last chance to live.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It's worth something. There are still places and people that jump the older gear, especially with few jumps on it. The Pegasus used to be a highly sought after canopy for BASE jumps before the advent of specialized BASE canopies, and you still see them being jumped and used for ridge soaring.

The Firefly became the Firelite once Django morphed into Glide Path. It's a good main canopy.

I did my first CRW on those canopies too. If you wanted a nice little pair of fun canopies to do CRW on, they'd do. Just because they aren't state of the art doesn't mean they are unsafe or unusable. The whole modern sport was built in part on the use of these canopies and others like it in the 80's.

Id' say you got a $6-700 set of gear there.....

For what it's worth, I've jumped the old ropes and rings Clouds, Strato Stars, newer model Clouds, Cruise Airs, Stilettos, and a bunch of other canopies as well and nothing, but nothing, was as stable or put me down as comfortably as the Pegasus.

I bought my Pegasus in 81 as well. Always opened great, flew predictable, landed soft, etc. We are using old f-111's as CRW canopies. I'd be interested in your rig, however as stated above, I'd probly not be willing to spend over $100. But, PM me and lets talk.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I think 1981 is going to be an original Vector. (I may be wrong, to far to go down stairs and look) Velcro on the reserve pin protector and old style Vector reserve PC. And what type of main deployment?

If it's an original Vector made in 81 it will have the main pilot chute pouch on the front of the legstrap, I think 24" PC, with the suspension line bridle.