degeneration

R-Max owners... a question

What size R-Max do you have, in what size container and is it a loose, good or tight fit?

The 138 is my particular size of interest, but other sizes will help me get a rough feel for how they compare to other reserves.

I'm doing my research into different reserves and find official data difficult to compare, so would like to hear actual experience. That way I can get closer to making a decision on what to get!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

What size R-Max do you have, in what size container and is it a loose, good or tight fit?

Figure it as one size larger than it actually is for pack volume. The way the fourth line in a group is reenforced really adds to the pack volume.

It's a shame they got such a bad rap from the older Ravens, I wouldn't trust anything else but my R-Max.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I've read nothing but good things about them, which is why i am considering one.

The crux of it is that I am trying to get a gist of sizes, and specifically, which one packs the most similar to a Op.143.

I remember reading somewhere on here that they are measured using the bottom skin so the actual area of the canopy is larger than the stated value, or something like that.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Performance Designs - and most of the other major canopy manufacturers - now measure span across the bottom skin.

The new method differs from Precision's old method which always produced canopies smaller (when measured by PIA methods) than their advertised size.

The crux of it is that I am trying to get a gist of sizes, and specifically, which one packs the most similar to a Op.143.

Not going to be a R-Max 138 then. That packs up comprably to a PD-R 143. I've not worked enough with the Optimum to have the size difference ebtween it and a PD-R memorised. Figure that otu and the rest is fairly easy. Best way to do it though is probably give your rig manufactuer a call.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Spoke to Precision about fitting it in my Icon, they effectively said speak to Aerodyne, as they didn't know specifically.

Spoke to Aerodyne and while they said the R-Max 138 should fit fine in the I3, I'm getting a growing suspicion the more I read around, that it would actually be more tight than I'd be happy with. And through pack volume reading up, I am not confident that using the R-Max tech specs pack volume and comparing that to the Icon's stated pack volume is a like for like comparison in sizing methods.

Which is why I'm wanting a real world comparison and actual container fittings of the R-Max.

If it is more like a PDR-143, then I would be very surprised if it does fit in the I3, or it would be probably beyond the acceptable limits of tight.