AggieDave

Who influenced you?

Who was it in your skydiving life that has influenced you?

For me, it was and is Don "Doc" Stewart. He was one of my first JMs 3 1/2 years ago, but he did more then that. He took me under his wing even after I had my 'A' and tried to lead me in the right direction. He did this withough any desire of compensation, he just wanted to make sure I continued to learn.

Its great, that he's coming down from North Texas now every weekend to jump with us at Aggieland, he's a great guy to have around, and he helps take care of the low time students as he did to me. His influence is one of the reasons I wanted to start getting ratings, so I could work with students and try to impart what I can to them.

Who's influenced you in skydiving?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Trackers Inc."

A little club that was located in the middle of a cornfield in north / central Illinois.

A tight knit group that was more of a private club than a dropzone.

I was fortunate to fall in with them and be accepted...
these guys made the 'Black Sheep' look like a Bible study class.

I could fill pages on the "Scary Stories" thread...
But no one would believe them !!!

Their Motto....

"Best in the Midwest......Possibly the World!" B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jason Mark. DZO of Archway Skydiving in Vandalia, IL.

He cares about each of his students....we are like his children. I remember the day that he finally called me a skydiver....He didn't think I would ever really be a skydiver....until winter of 2001-2002 when I was at the DZ every weekend, jumping in the freezing temps....I was all about hop and pops that winter!

I would get down from a jump and pack up right away...

Jason was always there to answer my questions and help me out, even if I was a clingy student. (I had him talk to me on radio for 30 jumps....)

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Roger Nelson was a huge influence on me. I'm one of the lucky ones that has SDC as a home dz. Roger cared so much about people and safety. He was super fun to jump with too.

My mentor right off student status was Betty (she doesn't post here). She was so patient with me and would calm my nerves. If not for her, i'm not sure i'd still be jumping.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

4 ppl have influencd me
3 instructors at my Home DZ, they have no option but to influence it's a real small DZ:)Thanks Mel Kevin & Thomo:)
Another person who has influenced me, but in a negative way is a guy who has been jumping since Noah was a boy, but this guy has NO ppl skills and is an arrogant wamker Skygod wannabe. His influence has been to the point that I hold him up as all things that I hope to not become as I get better at skydiving.:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Roger Nelson, Rook Nelson, Missy Nelson, Dave Cicciarelli, Chris Bagwell, Nannett Studebaker and the one and only Rabbitt.

I was lucky enough to have done my tandam and all AFP jumps with the above crew. Great to learn and jump with some of the best in the business.

a guy by the name of Bill Rafferty was a big influance on me. all the knowladge, experiance, and advise he has given me in the past has help get me where i am today. He now works at sunpath and jumps at Z-hills. If any of you are around there and see him just say hi...he is a very good guy, but be warned, if you say hi he will talk to you for an hour straight.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Back in the day of the Fayard $10 CASA Boogie (1995-6):

I started jumping at a Northeast DZ that operated out of a (non-working) Wonder bread truck, with a dry erase manifest board and picnic table - out in the landing area! (Great student gear, otter, awesome instructors - airport/farmer McNasty issues)

Those bastards ;) (me included) were out there every weekend jumping - blazing hot or bitter cold. We were allowed to drive our cars out into the landing area so we could sit in them with the heat on in between loads! They even jumped/packed in the snow!

Eventually the place closed for good and myself and about 12 others around my age and skill level traveled as a pack that whole summer, up and down the entire east coast following the $10 CASA Boogie - usually one every weekend!

Anyway, the dedication and love of the sport, plus the incredible commeraderie of that tight group of people is something I've never experienced before or since.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Al Stephens, dzo of the small dz I started jumping at. He taught me how to skydive, how to teach skydiving and how to rig. Much of my attitude toward skydiving safety comes from "growing up" as a skydiver around Al - and a simple gear check could have saved his life.

Kate Cooper. Want an education in the sport of skydiving? Work next to Kate for a few years. She's not just a world class skydiver, she's my role model for how to sell gear... and how to live life.

And then there's all of you...

Geoff Peggs was my inspiration. He was a friend and my jump master. He made sure I got into the class I needed and got my jump in. He was an inspiration to me as a student because he had been in the sport for such a short period of time, but had learned so much. We had a lot in common as well.

The day I went to make my first freefall, Saturday June 16th 2001, there was an absence from the DZ, no red Eclipse parked outside. That's when I heard he had died just the day before in a skydiving accident. I made my last PRCP and first FF that day, and many have said i've followed in his foot steps.

I organized this years memorial boogie for him and helped raise over 1200 for his memorial fund.

He got me started and I will do my best to follow.

Blue skies Geoff

Chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Uncle Dave! he got me wanting to skydive when I was a kid when he took me to several Freak Brother conventions. No suupport from the parents regarding jumping but after I started jumping Dave gave me his rig (he had stopped jumping) as my first rig. Dave was a huge infulence in starting me wanting to jump then facilitating me to make a bunch more jumps when I started. As a poor college student that rig savig me a ton-o-moola!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

a guy by the name of Bill Rafferty was a big influance on me.

Oh man...you admit that in public? :D

He now works at sunpath and jumps at Z-hills.

No shit??? That's very good to hear. Gotta beat that gig at Kelly. :D

but be warned, if you say hi he will talk to you for an hour straight.

Just 1 hour? :D

I'd have to say Russell Gunter for keeping me upbeat and willing to keep trying when I was fighting my way through AFF and Jim Liddle of Team Benton fame for continuing to work with me and letting me know when I get stupid.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

All the guys out at Eloy, Jeffro, Keebie, Dusty, Ash, Steffan, and pretty much everyone else. Dusty the most though. He is an awesome freefly coach and canopy control coach, I couldn't land if it wasn't for him. Also, Brad for sitting in the ER with me for 6 hours and Jim and his girl Debbie for taking me to get my meds...lol.
Kathryn

Edit: I forgot to meantion all the guys that did my AFF at Coolidge...Nathan, Andy, Eli, Jason and Brahm. For getting me started. Also, my exboyfriend Steve for introducing me to this sport.

I'd have to say Kate Cooper, she took a little jumper with less than 200 jumps, showed me a few tricks, a kick in the ass and threw me on hundred ways with less than 400 jumps. She gave my the opportunities, and she even held my hand before the helicopter took my away:)

Dennis Johnson was my first and still my strongest influence. He was my first instructor, and always emphasized in words and by example that this sport is as safe and fun as I want to make it.

Kirk Smith is my sweetie and my rigger, and has taught me to view gear with a clear, critical eye. He also helped me clarify the "to cutaway or not to cutaway" question.

Obviously, I'm not a jump-maestro or anything (23 jumps).

But, so far, I have been totally impressed with Paul Rafferty and Chuck Blue. Raff was my AFF jumpmaster on a few dives. Something about him just made me calm when doing AFF jumps. I'm still awed when I think about how much jumping experience he has. As for Chuck, it's kind of hard not to be impressed by him...hell, he's Chuck Blue!

More generally though, the entire staff (and jumpers in general) at Raeford Parachute Center are incredibly amazing. The support level out there is unbelievable. Kate and Tony make it really worthwhile to be out there. I'm asked time and time again how things are going with my jumps and if there is anything I need help with.

Cheers all.

Yes, I know it is snowing.
No, we are not putting the top up.

Mine was a guy from work to took me flying in his little Cessna 152 and we just happened to end up at Eloy "go figure". Then I figured I'd do one and when I did, WHAMO hooked..;) Even lost a bf over the whole thing. But that was ok with me..:D

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

My long time childhood friend Stefan "Satan" Zerrander, who unfortunately hooked himself into the ground just before I started. Survived, but with massive internal injuries and many broken bones. We've both been cowboys our entire lives, so his example came as a reality check. He's been unable to jump since (and he used to do 400 jumps a year, not bad in Sweden), but who knows?

Then my sister when I wussed out after 15 jumps, thinking about poor Z. She dragged me back to the DZ, didn't listen to my whining and even paid for my AFF.

Have I got a cool sis or what? B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Very much likely a rare response-- However, I am just now contemplating this topic and I only can feel this about Who Influenced me? = skydive? to keep skydiving?, or infuenced me to do particular discipline?

~Nobody~

One time at Band Camp -I heard something about a gift certificate to someone. Week or 2 later I remembered it and on the spur of the moment, I drove out to the dz. I did the tandem then the next weekend went straight into AFF.

The reason why I went (skydiving) that day is because I did not think I could do it. At the dz I was thrilled that people thought I could. After my jump = Self estem-o-rama.

I was JM labeled as 'intense' during AFF. Thats just an extreme amount of 'want to' showing.

But as far as the term "influenced me". There isnt anyone. I am just continually thrilled at what I do, what I accomplish and how much fun I have.

But I know there are many, many skydivers who I am impressed by, very much so.

But as far as I can ever remember, I just do whatever I am doing. Nobody ever influenced me to do any particular thing. I am still not finished screwing up my own stuff.

I would have to say my last skydive always infulences me in a large degree.

I am still holding out for a mentor or an influenceor. It could happen!

~AirAnn~

Don Stewart's coming down on weekends? For how long? I might have to make the trek up to Aggieland for that. I'm not sure I have a real skydiving father or mother, but I sure spent a lot of time hanging out in the loft he used to have when I started jumping.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Roger Nelson was a huge influence on me. I'm one of the lucky ones that has SDC as a home dz. Roger cared so much about people and safety. He was super fun to jump with too.

I have to agree with that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.