James525

Packing guide

[Did a search, but everything I found was old and full of broken links]

Does anyone know a good step-by-step guide for flat-packing? I've had a couple of packing lessons and mostly know what I'm doing but now I have my own rig I want to practice at home and could use a reference.

Cheers.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

Timing is everything. Just received this one from a friend (Andrew Donald) for the newbies at our DZ.

The PDF file is bigger than what is allowed as an attachment here, so here is a link to it on my Skydrive

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7f477c0b90a3e835&sc=documents&uc=1&id=7F477C0B90A3E835%21110#
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Because that's how I was taught, and I want to stick with what I know for now. Once I understand the concepts better I'll move on.

CONGRATULATIONS
That it one of the smartest comments from any skydiver (especially someone with your jump numbers) posted on this forum.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I am very interested in knowing why you want to be flat-packing ?

Is there something wrong with flat-packing?

I flat/factory packed for 30 years before finally getting a ZP canopy. When I tried packing it that way, it was a total mess, nothing would stay in place at all. I'm sure there are ways to make it work, but it seems like a lot of work for no benefit.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Consistency is V useful!

When taught to pack I was shown the Propack method.... which I can do fine, but only with F111 canopies. With ZP it is an absolute mess as it flares up and I lose control of the thing.

So with ZP I psychopack.

Unfortunately many UK DZs need you to flatpack to be able to get a packing cert...

Which puts me in an odd situation because although I can pack and have jumped many of my pack jobs, nobody'll sign me off or endorse my log book because you've got to do it in a certain way.... THEIR way.... hell even the individual methods vary.

One DZ demands you count out the A lines then the B lines then the C lines. While another one is fine with just flaking them out a whole bunch at a time. Even who is watching you! I used to do the second fold first then stuff the slider end into the bag, but nope that wasn't allowed anymore....

So for the time being I'm just paying packers to do it instead.

But thats what I get for being completely disloyal and not jumping at one DZ. But hey I'm an outsider.

Meh I'm really starting to hate skydiving in the UK.... my trip to France (two DZs) was absolutely great. UK DZs not so much....

Because that's how I was taught, and I want to stick with what I know for now. Once I understand the concepts better I'll move on.

CONGRATULATIONS
That it one of the smartest comments from any skydiver (especially someone with your jump numbers) posted on this forum.

Cheers mate, now I'm off to try and swoop my 96 sqft canopy after pulling @ 1000' from a wingsuit jump. I'll be sure to post the gopro footage. ;)

@NovaTTT and IanHarrop, I've only had a quick read of both guides but they look brilliant, exactly what I was looking for.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

If you still have a VCR you may buy this video
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Your-Parachute-Like-Pro/dp/B001GQOO54
It contains good instructions on flat packing (or side packing as it is called on the video)

This one could be a better value pack for you
http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/skydiving-survival-series-dvd.html
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

- "My favorite color is blue"
JR - "what do you have against yellow ?"

You didn't answer the question - why are you interested in why someone chooses to flat pack?

- "My favorite color is blue"
JR - "what do you have against yellow ?"

You didn't answer the question - why are you interested in why someone chooses to flat pack?

actually, you asked me if there's something wrong with flat packing.

so here's my answer to that one :

Nothing wrong with it. many people still use it. I personally use a combination of a flat prostack when I do my reserves and BASE canopies.

As far as your second question -
It's very uncommon for new jumpers of today (in the US) to know what flat packing is, or to learn how. So that's why I asked.

PS Than you for the PM, and congrats on acting 1/3 your age for blocking me from replying.

EDIT: posting content from PMs/e-mails in the open forums is not acceptable. If you are having issues with a user via PMs that you feel has gotten out of control please notify one of the MODS and we look into it. John Rich, I do not know why you would send a PM like the one I just removed but I will tell you this one time, choose what you write in your posts and PMs on this entire forum wisely in the future as you have gained the attention of the MOD staff with your posting behavior.

I do not know why you would send a PM like the one I just removed but I will tell you this one time, choose what you write in your posts and PMs on this entire forum wisely in the future as you have gained the attention of the MOD staff with your posting behavior.

Ohhhh, I'm scared!

Private messages are private - the moderators have no business enforcing anything with them. If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em, block the users from whom you don't want to receive 'em. If you don't want private nasty-grams, don't make public nasty-grams.

I do not know why you would send a PM like the one I just removed but I will tell you this one time, choose what you write in your posts and PMs on this entire forum wisely in the future as you have gained the attention of the MOD staff with your posting behavior.

Ohhhh, I'm scared!

Private messages are private - the moderators have no business enforcing anything with them. If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em, block the users from whom you don't want to receive 'em. If you don't want private nasty-grams, don't make public nasty-grams.

Look at the post footer. It was edited by LouDiamond, and everything written after the EDIT part (basically what you quoted) is written by him.

IMHO the flatpack is slightly wrong way (ok, not wrong, but weird) for modern ZP canopy... espetially it is weird to start learn for
If only silly DZ rullez (as was mentioned here) doesn't force this metod
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

IMHO the flatpack is slightly wrong way (ok, not wrong, but weird) for modern ZP canopy...

Why?

I'm told that back in the old days when flat-packing was the norm, that pro-packing was considered weird. Maybe it's just a matter of what you're used to, that neither method is weird, and just because one is not used to a certain technique, is not a good justification to call it weird.

IMHO the flatpack is slightly wrong way (ok, not wrong, but weird) for modern ZP canopy... espetially it is weird to start learn for
If only silly DZ rullez (as was mentioned here) doesn't force this metod

Often the only way you know is not the only way to do thing.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals