skykank

Win 7 64bits users BE AWARE when using Neptune 2 with Paralog

Recently I bought the Paralog software to download my jumps from my Neptune 2, and couldn't get it because you need to download a device called IRCOMM2 wich does not support Win7 64bits.
Paralog runs fine on Win7 but the driver that Alti 2 needs to make the connection between them just dont work with the 64bits version of Win7, so if you are thinking in buying it DONT DO IT dont waste your money !!!!

Fortunately the issue is isolated to the Neptune and Paralog and 64 bit versions.

Neptunes work very well with 64 bit Win 7 and the NMU - Neptune Management Utility

The N3 works very well with both the NMU and Paralog with all versions of Windows because it doesn't rely on the IR interface. It connects directly with a USB cable.

Someone on the Alti-2 forum has reported success with Paralog and Neptunes on Win 7 64 bit machines using VirtualBox to get the IROMM2K software working required for the IR interface.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I run windows 7 Professional.You then can download and run a copy of windows xp on a virtual hard drive set up on your computer.Then you just run the xp copy and load paralog and related software and your neptune will work with paralog.I have been using this setup for over a year with no problems.

Is it possible to get a copy of WinXP cheap/free?

i belive that if you already have Win 7 Home Premium that you can upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate (has all the features of Professional + some more) for a good price.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I've been looking, but can't seem to find where to upgrade as opposed to buying it from scratch.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've been looking, but can't seem to find where to upgrade as opposed to buying it from scratch.

Decent hardware/software (online) shops will sell upgrades, or you can upgrade straight from your own windows 7 hp: start > programs > Windows Anytime Upgrade.

It's not very cheap though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The only way to do this if you live outside USA is using the virtualbox from Sun, because Microsoft sells the upgrade key for Win 7 only for US customers and some other countries, not for Brazil.
So I will have to run virtualbox, and I have a question, can I run a virtual machine with a cracked software with a licensed software of Win7???

Thanks for the help

Isolated is a nice marketing term, however I am one of the customers affected and FEEL isolated by the way Alti-2 treats the issue.
There's a thread on the Alti-2 forums about this subject, its 2 years old, claims there is a solution in the works and no results. 64bit systems are increasingly common, so the issue will become more widespread.
It's not about N2s working together with MNU. Dont suggest anyone uses MNU for logging, please.

Suggesting downloading a 10 year old OS and then virtualizing it to MAYBE get it to work is quite desperate. I have PAID for both the hardware and the software and I'm not willing to spend my time to hack together a solution. IRCOMM2Kwhat? Neither am I willing to get a new Neptune3 as I just spend quite a bit on the N2 shortly before the N3 came out. I'm ok with hacking, but I'd believe much of it is beyond many peoples computer skills.
If Alti-2 arent willing to fix it, a trade-in of my N2 for an N3 for a little fee would be ok, too.
Hacking and virtualization tells me the company either a) has no solution and/or b) doesnt care to solve the issue. Both not something i value as a customer.

Now if only L&B had a comparable logger to the N3 and not the clunky Altitrack with the proprietary connector, I'd switch right away.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hacking and virtualization tells me the company either a) has no solution and/or b) doesnt care to solve the issue.

or
c) it's not their responsibility to fix this problem.
IRCOMM2k driver is not their product (so it's not Alti2 fault, there is no 64bit version of such). Paralog is also not Alti2 product, so they cannot change it so that it does not require additional IR->com driver (notice, that NMU can connect with no problems with N2). My guess is that since Paralog is written in Java, it does not have a direct access to IR hardware (N2), and hence has to use some weird driver "wrappers" (like ircomm), that show the device under faked COM port (which is easier to access from within Java code).

cheers,
Bart ;)

Of course Paralog is not made by Alti-2 Inc, so there is no "responsibility" to fix the problem. However, Alti-2 Inc. does have a strong interest in making sure that their customers can easily download the data from their product. Without that capability, the Neptune looses a substantial part of its value. I hope they realize it is worth helping their customers in some way.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well, I totally disagree :P I don't want to be Alti2 defender (heck, they are still not providing NMU for Mac users), but in this case, (IMO) you guys put the blame on the wrong side. This issue should be solved in Paralog software. The problem is not, that there is no IRCOMM2k driver for 64bit Windows, it's the fact that it is needed at all. For me (as a former N2 owner) this ircomm driver, always looked like a kludge (especially considering the fact, that it is not maintained since year 2004, and the last code change in the driver code was made like 8 years ago - you can have a look at ircomm2k site), and it was just a matter of time (new Windows release) , when things will fall apart for windows Paralog users (remember, that NMU does not need any 3rd party software to operate correctly, so it's not impossible). I think you guys, should contact Klaus (author of Paralog) and ask him, what are the chances of getting ircomm2k-less communication with N2. Just my opinion ;)

cheers,
Bart ;)

Yeah, you guys should contact Klaus.

Also, what bugs me with paralog is that you are unable to download older versions of the software as far I'm concerned. If you have license for v4 and lost installation file and need to reinstall your option is to pay extra 25 euros to upgrade to v5 or beg Klaus to send you the older version.

i've lost the key when i changed computers; klaus wasnt willing to replace it without me paying another 10 euros for a replacement-key. i was a bit let-down by that. :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda