Freddiekz

Mirage and skyhook

So I'm a new to the sport and one thing I have heard a lot about is that mirage makes a great rig but doesn't have any skyhook comparability. I've read some rumors that mirage is going to come out with there own type of skyhook. Anyone know if this is true and more importantly if there is a timeline in place with the mirage to roll something out? Thanks!

It's coming out SOON according to Mirage......and they've been saying that for a few years now....... it's not called a skyhook but they call it DRX or sth of the sorts.

Just get a Vector3 or Javelin or Icon if you want skyhook ....preferably the Vector3 since it was the first skydiving rig with the skyhook ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I have 87 Mirage rigs (I maintain them, I don't jump them) equipped with the DRX device. It is, in my opinion, a more elegantly designed device than the skyhook, but like all "safety" devices added on to the basic simplicity of a skydiving system, it adds some complication and the possibility of failure if mis-rigged or poorly maintained.
I can't guarantee that it is "available" my employers have a knack of getting things they want when they want them, but I'm sure if you call Mirage and ask them they'll tell you.

ps: I'm going to add a small op-ed piece here. Please don't choose a rig based on the availability of "add-on, safety devices". Look at the Structure, design and safety record of the rig itself. Look at the build quality and integrity of the workmanship in the build and not at what you can add on to it to make it "safer" - the RIG is what saves your life EVERY time you jump it not some gimmicky add-on that has the same potential to fail as it does to succeed.

Does the DRX have a Collins Lanyard-like function? If so, how does it work? Would you post photos of that particularly?

Mark

I uploaded a pdf file of the rigger's guide that I put together for my trainees here. DISCLAIMER: This has nothing to do with Mirage, they have seen it and didn't hate it, Bob did make a couple of suggestions which I will get to soon Insha'Allah........

It's on my blog here http://monkeygotpants.com/?p=251

the DRX is not Mirage idea, they just try to get for free something they do not own...we'll see
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2009127395A1&KC=A1&FT=D&date=20090521&DB=EPODOC&locale=fr_FR

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2009127395A1&KC=A1&FT=D&date=20090521&DB=EPODOC&locale=fr_FR

clicky :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I am sure I will set off some alarms here, but buy the rig you like because of the rig, not marketing.

All the main rigs on the market today have RSLs available. Thats all a skyhook or a drx is, is an RSL. Far too many new jumpers but far too much weight in the "skyhook" as far as safety goes. Educate yourself on the systems, you will see that a regular RSL will serve the purpose just fine. If you decide on a rig that offers a skyhook, then by all means get one if it makes you feel good, but I would strongly recommend not excluding a rig because it does not offer an over engineered rsl.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

It is common now for some to place a great priority on having a skyhook equipped rig. I would never encourage a new jumper to do without a conventional RSL or skyhook type RSL. An RSL is very valuable for many common scenarios.

Some, including myself conclude that they do not want to make their rig more complicated, their "decision tree" more complicated, and add new failure modes/effects that are beyond the user's control.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I am sure I will set off some alarms here, but buy the rig you like because of the rig, not marketing
specially when the technology which uses Mirage does not work properly...I have been working on the device since a long time, and the correct design is the one I sold to Airborne to fit inside the next ARAPS (remplacment of the MC4/MC5), it takes less than half pound of force to disconnect the device in case of "reserve only", the technology uses Mirage is a bad copy of my device, they makes it cheap, and the simplest way does not work properly (I already tried), DRX owner should think about how much force it requires to disconnect the system in case of "reserve only", they will find out probably over 8 pounds, which is just insane....

I am sure I will set off some alarms here, but buy the rig you like because of the rig, not marketing.

All the main rigs on the market today have RSLs available. Thats all a skyhook or a drx is, is an RSL. Far too many new jumpers but far too much weight in the "skyhook" as far as safety goes. Educate yourself on the systems, you will see that a regular RSL will serve the purpose just fine. If you decide on a rig that offers a skyhook, then by all means get one if it makes you feel good, but I would strongly recommend not excluding a rig because it does not offer an over engineered rsl.

Im glad someone else has said this. Its almost becoming blasphemy to say anything contrary to skyhook.

Now how simply put is that!! I have done two cutaways in the past 10 months. Both with the same rig, first one with skyhook, second one with missing red lanyard and "only" RSL. It makes a BIG difference, I can tell you. I fully agree about everyone educating themselves and taking a decision of getting a rig WITHOUT, WITH RSL or WITH SKYHOOK though. It is 3 options, not 2.

Edit:
1. Do you want to control your reserve deployment completly on your own and make sure you are stable after cutaway? Then neither RSL nor Skyhook.
2. Do you want to have a connection between your cutaway main and the reserve deployment by default to possibly save altitude before reserve deployment? Then RSL or RSL with Skyhook.
3. Do you want to have your cut away main pull-out the reserve and make the reserve deployment even quicker, possibly saving more altitude and avoiding you getting unstable before the reserve is out? Then Skyhook.

But this has all been said and discussed a hundred times and pros and cons have been pointed out too. It is just not the same: RSL and Skyhook.

3. Do you want to have your cut away main ***POSSIBLY***pull-out the reserve and make the reserve deployment even quicker, possibly saving more altitude and avoiding you getting unstable before the reserve is out? Then Skyhook.

I think thats what you meant to say, If you know the skyhook you know it is no guarantee. I have seen it fail to "skyhook" plenty of time when rigged properly. It as actually only an RSL. It is a reserve static line. How it functions is a bit different, but it is still only an RSL.

As with all RSLs, they are backup devices , not to be relied on.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4114143;page=5;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Skyhook is not just an RSL. It has an additional red lanyard connecting the "skyhook" located in the middle of the reserve's bridle in addition to the white, regular RSL lanyard going to the reserve pin. "May the faster one win" is the concept. But who am I to tell here...