ski_powder

Main canopy for 6'6" and ~265 lbs

Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest any student main canopies/reserves that would be a good place for me to start off with? I'm thinking of getting my own gear because the max weight for skydiving around my place is <250 lbs so I don't want to be cutting weight on a regular basis to get my liscence and then each time I want to jump after that.

Cheers,
Sebastian

I'm 6'1" and around 265#'s so I jump a Velo 111. You may not want to do that, though. ;)

This is a process that you should decide with the dropzone that you will be training at, since there are some special considerations for the harness/container, main and reserve parachutes. The wrong choice will leave you with gear you can't jump and money spent. Even a choice that one DZ would be OK with, another may not be OK with that choice. If you search a little, this topic has been covered a few times here on DZ.com and you'll find referenced a handful of dropzones that train big guys.

Good luck!

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You've got a handful of problems, with one of them being that most skydiving gear is only certified to 254 lbs exit weight (jumper+clothing+gear). The other is that as a student, you need an oversized-for-you canopy, and they don't make many that are oversized for a guy who's 265lbs.

Here's what you can do - if you have $5000-ish to drop on a rig before you make jump 1, go to your local place and see if they'll let you jump your own rig as a student. They would probably have to help you put a rig together, but in the end it has to meet their standards for a student rig before they'll let you train with it.

If you don't want to drop $5k right away, or your local place turns you down, do a search of this site for 'big boy' rigs or training. There are a couple DZs in the US that will train anyone they can stuff into a harness. They'll have the closest thing to a 'safe' student rig for a guy your size, and experience working with others like you. Of course, you'll have to travel to train, and you'll probably want to work through to a license while you're there just to get it over with on one trip. Plan on spending $2k-ish to get the license, plus travel/lodging.

Once you have a license, there is a bigger variety of gear you can use. Most places will not weigh you and check the certification on your gear. As long as it's properly assembled and well maintained, they'll let a licensed jumper jump just about anything.

You may need a custom harness, but you can buy a used harness/container, and for $300 - $500 you can have the harness upsized to fit you. Then you can buy a used main and reserve canopy, and have a fine rig (that's custom fit to you) for about $3k. Of course, you could buy all new gear with all the bells and whistles for $9k, so figure somewhere between $3k and $9k for gear.

So it can be done, and you can be a jumper, but it's going to take some extra effort up-front. Once you get a license, your weight will be less of an issue, and you'll be able to jump like most other jumpers. There are some issues with your weight in terms of jumping with other people, as you'll fall much faster than lighter folks, but that's another story. In terms of being able and allowed to jump, once you have a license and your own gear, you'll be on par with the rest of us.

I'm 6'1" and around 265#'s so I jump a Velo 111. You may not want to do that, though. ;)

dropzones that train big guys.

Good luck!

damn dave you and i need to make a freefall together. I think we could work out a good fall rate.:P
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Here are some canopies that will meet your needs. For mains PD makes the Navigator 260 with a Max suspended weight of 336 lb, and the Silhouette 260 with a Max weight of 336 lb. They have a reserve at 281 sq. feet with a max of 312 lbs. Dolphin, Javelin and UPT make containers that will fit those canopies.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Correction: The 281sq ft PD-Reserve has a max weight of 300lbs NOT 312lb

Also the PD Silhouette-260 has a max weight of 312 NOT 336. You must of just got some numbers confused ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Correction: The 281sq ft PD-Reserve has a max weight of 300lbs NOT 312lb

Also the PD Silhouette-260 has a max weight of 312 NOT 336. You must of just got some numbers confused ;)

Thank you. Not sure where I got those figures.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks for all the advice and tips. This is more of a get prepared for next spring type of thread to see what my options are. I took a look at prices so I'm not too worried there but in regards to the comment from from Davelpka, don't you need to continue jumping on student gear for a little bit or do you automatically jump to a smaller parachute?

Depending on how tall you are, try and locate a Javelin J8 W/ a 280 sq.ft Main canopy. That would put your wing load at: 1:01:1 which should be safe and provide you a controlled & safe canopy flight. Most rigs (even mine) are TSO'd at 300 lbs, heck of a safety factor.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"