SmoothAl

Reserve repack

I've got a question for you all. I know that when you have a packer pack your main, it's usually customary to tip them. What's the "rule" on having a reserve repacked? Seeing as I have to pick my rig up tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
SmoothAl

It depends.........
As for your main being packed I would tip at the end of the day and not foe evry pack job....
It depends who re-packs yuor reserve. If it is a good friend a six/twelve pack of beer or a little green nug will suffice. if it is soemone you you don't know? I've never had my reserve repacked by someone I did not know.
Sebazz............

Speaking as a rigger in training.... I'm yet to have anyone tip me. I don't expect them to, I have a set fee for my service and if I wanted more, the price would be higher. Now if they want to share a 6 pack with me... I'm more then happy to do that, but it should'nt be required to tip.
I never tip my packer directly if I ever use one. Usually, I'll just pick up his jump ticket once every few months or something like that.
That being said.... If you get Saved because of me... lets share a big bottle with the entire DZ and make some new friends!
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

This doesn't really have anything to do with a rigger but it reminds me of a occurence that happened to somebody I know.
The person, who will remain nameless but has 8,000 Skydives, was due for a reserve repack so at deployment he went for the reserve instead of the main. He pulled his reserve handle, nothing. Still in freefall. He went ahead and deployed his main and landed safely. He took his gear inside and immediately went to his rigger and told him what happened. They checked out the gear and noticed that someone had cut his shit and his reserve would not deploy. (Yeah, kind of like DZ)
He never found out exactly who it was but he has his beliefs.
Kachink,
ChromeBoy
-Mirage G3 Unisyn-

i haven't tipped yet for a reserve repack.... but you know what.. that is a DAMN good point.. I think you should tip the person that is responsbile for the "last chance chute"..
I do however tip my packer. I know I know.. i get alot of grief for this, but since I injured my knee (torn tendon requiring surgery).. I have a packer who's been pretty much at my beck and call. it is AWSOME and i know I'm way spoiled. As soon as I'm down, I'm packed and can manifest on the very next load.. and every time i come down, he's always curtious to ask "how were the openings?" .. if i ask him to try something differrnet.. its NEVER a problem...
Our packs cost $5.00... and I usually pay $7.00 on average... He's 14 and happy to earn the money.. I'm injured and thankful he's an awsome packer!
Busses here don't work. I am an asshole.
...Tina

I think you should tip the person that is responsbile for the "last chance chute"..

Problem is ..what if the "last chance" fails......Now you burn in knowing that that tip was for nothing ;)....Hell of a last thought to go through your mind....at least you can aim for his/her car :)But I have to agree with IFLYME...it is there job to do repacks. Now if I have to have ssomething specailly done or fixed then I would give a tip. Luckily I dont have to tip to get my Rigger to like me........he likes me just the way I am.....{riggers thought] *yeah that little tight wad bastard*[riggers thought] :)jason

im picking up my rig tomorow from my rigger i pay him for a service (repack) i dont see the use in tipping him i dont know if it will mal or not. i guess it is personal pref.
btw when i go to bars ect i do tip knowing most of thoes people wor mainly for tips
It's not the fall that kills you, it'ssudden deceleration syndrome.

I tip my packers because I want them to drop the tandem and get me on the next load. Students have been bumped because I tip my packers.
I don't tip my riggers, I pay them. I don't ask riggers to do anything outside of a simple inspection and repack. Payment for this service is negotiated in advance. I expect them to do this job properly, frequently I'll supervise to make sure. The only time I would tip a rigger is if they did something outside the scope of the repack - like putting my rig at the top of the pile.
I don't do this out of disrespect, quite the opposite. I tip bartenders and hairdressers, not doctors and riggers.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

When I was actively rigging, I never asked for anything more than what I told them the repack cost. A few customers would kick down a little extra, which was much appreciated but was never expected. I don't tip the riggers who pack for me now. But if/when I use one of their pack jobs it'll be a bottle of their choice, guaranteed! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
I'll be in the bar... you'll find me...

since you asked, there are but two people i trust with my reserve, both are master riggers, if they quit, i quit. for me i gotta KNOW when i pull that "silver" i got my reserve over my head. is it worth $45.00, $200.00, $500.00? the REAL question is, "whats your life, and your "comfort level" worth? Damn Straight, Tip Your Riggers, you tip your waiters? right? and that's just for good service at a friggen table in a resturaunt. treat them right, they treat you right...........
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

"whats your life, and your "comfort level" worth

the only problem I have with that is that I should not have to tip anyone to get a reliable pack job!!! A reserve repack that costs 10$ (hypathetical) should be jsut as good as a repack that cost 100$....If I have to tip a rigger to feel I got a good pack job then I'm not going to usr that rigger!!!
jason

Personally..... $50 is it on the reserve repack. I pack my own so its free.:D And the waiters... they get tipped after the service is eval'd, same with a riggers save.
Like I said.... I'll help ya share a bottle of my choice if I just had to save your no packing, only use the faster packer on the dz, jumping a spinning canopy rear-end from certian death....
PS... I've trusted 99% of the riggers I know with my reserve. They've shown minimal knowledge in the repacks so thats good enough for me :P J/k.....
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Jason:
a quick, but decided question for you, let's just say, for funnies, you generally get $25.00 for a job that you do for a living, and however many times you can perform that particular tasks, depends on you income level. your back logged, one person wants to pay you the "standard" $25.00 for your tasks, another who, let's say called you after the first person, wants to pay you "double" the going rate, which would YOU choose, be honest. let's face it, service, and quality equates into dollars, like it or not, you can paint a trash can gold, but it's still a trashcan.....
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"
P.S.
Just FYI, the rigger i use would do just a good of a job, if i didn't pay him/her............

one person wants to pay you the "standard" $25.00 for your tasks, another who, let's say called you after the first person, wants to pay you "double" the going rate, which would YOU choose, be honest

Ok ..this is good........First if I promised the guy with 25$ I'd get the job done at a certain time then he would get his job done before anyone else no matter what the pay. That is just how I work. If I tell someone I'm going to do something I do it! NOW if all the jobs are just setting there in NO perticular order then yes I would probably get the guy who payed the 50 to get his job done and back to him quick HOWEVER his job would have been done no better then the people that payed 25$. If the job requires I build a box 9x9x9 box then thats waht you get ,,,, a quaility box 9x9x9. The only thing the more $$$ will get you is a box in quicker time. Unless someone elses box was scheduled before you !!!!
Alls I know is that I wouldnt go to a rigger whos sign said
Repacks:45$
Repacks that open:60$
repacks that open and wont MAL: 100$
Yes I see your point but I hope you can some what see mine!!!
Thanks ..that was fun:)jason

Jason:
good answers, just what i was expecting from you. a highly integral individual, with there priorities in order, are the exact people i do business with, you've got a good head on your shoulders! but nonetheless, it never hurts to tip your rigger..........EVER.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Something about a sucide wish/plan, or something along those lines.

I doubt that. There are way easier ways to kill yourself than packing a double mal. That, and I know that Phree and SkymonkeyONE pack their own reserves, as well as several others.
--
Brian
Homepage
AIM: suprmath

you generally get $25.00 for a job that you do for a living, and however many times you can perform that particular tasks, depends on you income level. your back logged, one person wants to pay you the "standard" $25.00 for your tasks, another who, let's say called you after the first person, wants to pay you "double" the going rate, which would YOU choose,

I'd take care of the person who called me first. Integrity is more important than money.
Money doesn't impress me, quality people impress me. I'd do more for nothing for someone I respect than I would for money for someone I don't respect.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
I'll be in the bar... you'll find me...

Kinda thinking along the same thought line as Skybytch and Lazer - but I'll take it a step further:
It concerns me that there are people who, it seems, believe that tipping your rigger will get you a better reserve repack than just the regular fees will. I mean, if I tip someone, it is AFTER the service, not before. Payment before the service (in this case, using the reserve) is a fee for service.
I personally don't have any equipment yet, so perhaps my perspective is moot, but I know exactly who will be packing my reserve - and that's the guy who packed it for the student rigs when I used the reserve there.
If I have to tip a person who packs my reserve so I can be "assured" of better service, I am gonna go to a rigger who gives me that better service without regard to a 10 or 20 tip - because HIS integrity is intact, and he values my life as much as I value my life. Each job is the same - and I am assured that his work is about parachutes, not personalities.
As for tipping my packer, he gets it after I am done jumping for the day - along with his regular $ for packing.
Just my .02, though.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

I would add that tips are, IMHO, offered to people in service industries who earn a relatively low wage. I got tipped at Christmas when I was kid delivering papers, and when I worked for a restaurant that delivered meals. The riggers who pack my reserve take pride in what they do, and recognize the importance of their job. They don't do it to earn tips.
"Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees"
Five For Fighting

I pay the packer I use $5. He's great. He packed the only Malfunction I've had, so, I bought him a case of beer.
The rigger gets paid for inspection and packing. When I had a malfunction. I asked him what he would like and got it for him.
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much