scrub

vigil battery shelf life

what does FAA have to do with a device that carries no FAA certifications ?

I'm not sure of the rules off hand but:

There is that thing about maintaining AAD's according to manufacturer's specifications in AC105.

But you have a point -- if the rig is open, does anything prevent a non-rigger from changing the battery?

Do the manuals actually say a rigger has to do it? Probably not. Or is there something in the FARs about work on rigs that suggests that a certain level of rigger is needed? (You know those arguments we have here, about what riggers can and can't do, where it sometimes seems like a jumper can't change a closing loop, because it could affect the airworthiness of a TSO'd system...) If there is a limitation, can't the user change the battery if the AAD is pulled out of the rig?

If there is no other FAR objection, it's just that the non-rigger can't close the rig back up, and the battery would have to meet the manufacturer's specs if the rigger is to close the rig.

vigil allows you to change the battery yourselve adn be now under limited warrenty. get a cypress

What is it with people who own Cypri and feel such a strong need to slam other devices? Is it related to a need to brag about all the money they spend? Or are people just emotionally attached to this miracle device that that may save them from doom?

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The manual says "rigger."
Their website (easier copy/paste) says:
Your rigger (or reserve parachute packer) can replace your power pack very easily.

It will take less than 5 minutes to do this. The procedure to follow is explained on page 25 of the VIGIL I User's Manual and pages 27, 28, 29 of the Vigil II User's Manual.

Gowlerk, the "slam" against CYPRES comes from a guy that owns a Vigil. :P
Given that my personal and student rigs have both, I'm very happy with my Vigils. One of my CYPRES units wouldn't turn on the other day, reasons unknown, no error code. Its replacement will be a Vigil.

I know, these are all just electronic back up units made by people, for use by people. But the level of emotion and frustration I`ve seen around these devices is just amazing to me.
My guess is that it`s because of the fact that no one can really check it and be sure that it will work when needed. It`s just an electronic box with wires and batteries. You can`t test it, or check it other than observing the read out during it`s POST.
It just goes against human nature to trust such a device, and then some authority may just decide that you must have one to jump. And oh, by the way, we may decide that the one you own is no good here anymore. Depending of course where the cutter is mounted, or maybe not depending on how the management of the DZ feels, or of course your National Association!
I think I`ve just answered my own question about the emotions and frustrations. I hope the M2 is available soon. I want to be an early adopter so everyone can tell me how crazy I am to be a test jumper!

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Notice it says CAN. I believe its stated purely out of convenience. In other words the manual does not specify the mandate for who changes the battery.

My mistake. Anyone who wants to can change the batteries in their AAD at any time. But the FAA requires that the container be packed and closed by a “certificated parachute rigger.” As a rigger I thought you would know that. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Notice it says CAN. I believe its stated purely out of convenience. In other words the manual does not specify the mandate for who changes the battery.

My mistake. Anyone who wants to can change the batteries in their AAD at any time. But the FAA requires that the container be packed and closed by a “certificated parachute rigger.” As a rigger I thought you would know that. ;)

Sparky

exactly. And yes, I do know that.

as opposed to an Argus, where a user can buy it used and put in some cheapass set of batteries, the Vigil uses a proprietary power pack, so it would be impossible for a user to install an unapproved set of batteries.

I don't see how it's wrong or improper for an end user to replace the battery, and then hand the unit of to their rigger for an install.

You know, kinda like they can buy a new reserve canopy, new reserve slinks, new reserve handle and then their rigger can install those for the end user ....

as opposed to an Argus, where a user can buy it used and put in some cheapass set of batteries, the Vigil uses a proprietary power pack, so it would be impossible for a user to install an unapproved set of batteries.

And then when the unit fails due to “cheapass” batteries the company gets sued. Skydivers are not always the sharpest tool in the box. [:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And then when the unit fails due to “cheapass” batteries the company gets sued. Skydivers are not always the sharpest tool in the box. [:/]

Sparky

I agree with you 100% percent.

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's recommended. I keep a stock of name brand batteries for Argus units that I insist I change for people who come to me with those AADs.