Fall0ut

Aerodyne Pilot ZPX or PD Pulse ?

Hi,
I am flying a PD Silhouette 170 loaded with 1.0 in my current rig.

Now I am going to buy a second hand rig (Mirage G4) with PD Optimum 160 reserve. It's a M2 size so I need to choose a 170 main with low packing volume to fit it inside the container.
So I got stuck between Aerodyne Pilot 169 ZPX and PD Pulse 170.

Which one would you recommend? Which canopy is more fun to fly loaded with 1.0? And which one is easier to pack, the hybrid (ZP and low-bulk) Pulse or the ZPX Pilot (ZPX is said to pack a little easier than normal ZP) ?

I've had friends who've had good experiences with both of them. I load my Pilot at about 1.4, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison - otherwise, I'd chime in.

My advice? Demo the both of them. Call both PD & Aerodyne, and see which one can get you the demo fastest. Then slot in the other one for a weekend or two later.

Problem solved.
Signatures are the new black.

It might just be in my head but I didnt like the zpx pilot. I gave it back and ordered a straight zp. I have two pilot 188 and will have a third when I get around to ordering my new demo canopy with out company logo on it. I love the canopy.

I didn't care for the pulse at all when I demoed it. Nothing terrible but after flying sabre2's and pilots it didn't match up for me.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I didn't care for the pulse at all when I demoed it. Nothing terrible but after flying sabre2's and pilots it didn't match up for me.

If you're looking for the flare power of a sabreII (or the Pilot), then the Pulse definitely isn't the canopy for you.
The Pulse is a lot more slow/docile, and when it stops...it's gentle. I'd opine that PD made it for folks that want a non-exciting ride to the ground and a graduated landing with little input.

I currently have a Mirage G4 M3 with a pilot 168 zpx in it, you might not be able to fit a pilot 168 zpx into an M2, and if you do it will most likely overstuff the container and stretch it out. See attached pic for how mine looks.

just a heads up.

...and btw I LOVE my 168 zpx B| pack a little easier is an understatement, brand new first pack job it went into the bag like butter, it doesn't have that poof back up laugh at you slippery attitude new zp has.

Hi,
I am flying a PD Silhouette 170 loaded with 1.0 in my current rig.

Now I am going to buy a second hand rig (Mirage G4) with PD Optimum 160 reserve. It's a M2 size so I need to choose a 170 main with low packing volume to fit it inside the container.
So I got stuck between Aerodyne Pilot 169 ZPX and PD Pulse 170.

Which one would you recommend? Which canopy is more fun to fly loaded with 1.0? And which one is easier to pack, the hybrid (ZP and low-bulk) Pulse or the ZPX Pilot (ZPX is said to pack a little easier than normal ZP) ?

Demo the canopies first! While you are at it demo the Safire 2 as well.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Yeah, that would be the smartest thing to do. But since I'm in Germany, there aren't too many manufacturer reps touring the republic with their demo tours all the time. If I am lucky, I can make it to an Aerodyne demo this weekend, but they haven't got the ZPX version of their canopies, just ZP.
And PD charges 155€ (about 230$) for sending me a demo, not to mention that I would have to go to a rigger to have the main attached to my PC/pod and risers.. a little bit of a hassle.
So I read a lot of threads about those two mains and almost everybody was positive about them. Not as good as demoing myself, but it's a start. I jumped Sabres and Storms from my buddies, but none of them got a Pulse or Pilot in my size :(

I currently have a Mirage G4 M3 with a pilot 168 zpx in it, you might not be able to fit a pilot 168 zpx into an M2, and if you do it will most likely overstuff the container and stretch it out. See attached pic for how mine looks.

just a heads up.

...and btw I LOVE my 168 zpx B| pack a little easier is an understatement, brand new first pack job it went into the bag like butter, it doesn't have that poof back up laugh at you slippery attitude new zp has.

Hi copland,
which reserve you got in your container? If I understand correctly, a small packing Optimum would leave more space for the main than, let's say the PDR or Smart? Could that be enough to clear space in the M2 for the ZPX168?

Hi copland,
which reserve you got in your container? If I understand correctly, a small packing Optimum would leave more space for the main than, let's say the PDR or Smart? Could that be enough to clear space in the M2 for the ZPX168?

I have the smart 160, maybe it would work for you with the optimum, I'm not sure. You could try and ask Mirage for their recommendations but that was a futile effort for me when I was buying.

Yeah, that would be the smartest thing to do. But since I'm in Germany, there aren't too many manufacturer reps touring the republic with their demo tours all the time. If I am lucky, I can make it to an Aerodyne demo this weekend, but they haven't got the ZPX version of their canopies, just ZP.
And PD charges 155€ (about 230$) for sending me a demo, not to mention that I would have to go to a rigger to have the main attached to my PC/pod and risers.. a little bit of a hassle.
So I read a lot of threads about those two mains and almost everybody was positive about them. Not as good as demoing myself, but it's a start. I jumped Sabres and Storms from my buddies, but none of them got a Pulse or Pilot in my size :(

why would you need a rigger for that!? i've assembled my own main on my new rig.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Different canopy.

I fly a Sabre2 now and liked the Pilot (previously owned Spectres). I'm not a big fan of the Pulse, but as DEU mentioned, it's just for people looking for something else. It's plenty popular. I'd compare flare on it to that of the silhouette, so it may be a suitable transition for you.

It all depends on what you want in a canopy though. The Pilot's pretty sporty comparitively speaking.

I'm on my second Pilot canopy (a 188), and have been jumping Pilots for the past seven years. Love 'em.

Since I'm buying an all new rig, I decided to be open minded and demo a couple different canopies. Tried a Safire 2 and didn't care one way or the other for it. Demo'd a Pulse and did NOT like it. After two jumps, I turned it in to the store. I'm waiting now on a 188 ZPX Pilot to arrive - someday....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If you can demo then do it.... but my opinion is go with the Pilot or the Safire with the Safire being my choice of the two. But that is just my opinion.....
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com