piisfish

Maculated reserve loop

During the assembly of a brand new rig, I had to replace the reserve loop which was provided by the rig manufacturer as it was maculated by a brown substance (which looks like used motoroil).

The rig came from the manufacturer with the loop going through the reserve flaps, and the reserve pin through the loop.

I thought maybe the reserve cable/pin were oiled, but they were not.

By putting tension on the loop, some of the liquid "escaped the loop", making me think the loop was dipped in that liquid.

By the way this is not the first time I get a loop like that from that manufacturer.

Might be some "non-CYPRES" silicone, problem is that it does stain as it is non-transparent.

Does anyone know what it could be ? Anyone seen anything similar ?(Photo attached)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

During the assembly of a brand new rig, I had to replace the reserve loop which was provided by the rig manufacturer as it was maculated by a brown substance (which looks like used motoroil).

I thought maybe the reserve cable/pin were oiled, but they were not.

By putting tension on the loop, some of the liquid "escaped the loop", making me think the loop was dipped in that liquid.

By the way this is not the first time I get a loop like that from that manufacturer.
(Photo attached)

Would you mind stating what manufacturer sent brand new rigs with closing loops like those? Not seeking to bash any company of any sort, but would simply like no know
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I would bet a nice steak dinner that it's a Wings. Every one I've ever assembled has come with a loop like that. The reserve ripcord and/or housing is coated with some sort of oil. I think it wicks into the loop. I wipe down the ripcord with a rag, make a new loop, and get on with the assembly.

exactly.
reply from the manufacturer :

We do know what it comes from, and we don’t dip it into anything.

In the center of the ripcord cable, there is a very fine red thread.
It is woven into the cable during its production. This thread has oil on it, and It’s purpose is to prevent corrosion.
We hang our ripcords on the wall by the handle, and occasionally we see a drop of oil on the tip of the pin.
We always wipe the cable and pin down with a fast evaporating cleaner to remove any of this oil that may be left, but obviously it’s not enough

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

photo was attached before you posted :P

You uploaded it, apparently, whilst I was composing. Can't see how your post might be changing while one is in the reply/composing screen, now can one? :P

Glad you've now gotten your answer/reply from the MFR, and thanks for sharing!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Thanks for posting this. A customer brought a brand new container/reserve to me for assembly today. It has the brown stain on the closing loop. I figured "No problem... I know what to do cause I read about it on DZ.com". So I pulled out the ripcord and wiped it down with a dry paper towel. It sure turned the paper brown. So I wiped it again, and again, and again... every time brown on the paper. I set the ripcord down and jumped for a few hours, came back and continued wiping. More brown. At this point it's just residual I think, not enough to drip down the pin again.

A more interesting question is whether this oil has any effect on the fiber used in the closing loop material.

Cutting oil from machinery can be wildly different formulations albeit not acedic but it will frequently contain very fine metal particulate). The stuff I use is a water soluble oil. Although I don't do cold working of metal I definitely can say that dies do wear during use.

I have no idea if this manufacturer is using the same machine shop as everyone else but it would be interesting to know how their cables compare to the others.

I can understand why they might be putting it in the cable, but safely washing it out without washing all the lubricant and thus risking internal oxidation at a later date is a difficult balance. Completely wash it out and replace with a clean oil inhibiter?

You could probably wash it out with alcohol and only near the pin assuming the thread continues over time to wick the oil down the cable. The pin itself is SS so corrosion is not an issue there.

Maybe some SS cable would be more appropriate. (begin holy war) Or a cable made from spectra...(end holy war)

-Michael