hooked

Did any of you think about..........

Did any of you think about or realize the risks of skydiving, before you became a skydiver? Or did you enter into the world of skydiving for the thrill and think about or realize the risks later? I wonder because of some remarks that a friend of mine has made, and it bothers me, so I thought I would ask.

Jan

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I personally was at complete peace when I made the decision to do my tandem jumps.

As you know, I scheduled my AFF for 5 months later. During that time, I pondered the risks many times and did a lot of research. As you know, I came to the conclusion that the joy of it outweighed the potential risks. I still feel that way even though I am grounded. I have a lot to experience still, so maybe someday I will change my mind. I don't know. But right now, I am determined to continue.

Chris

Did any of you think about or realize the risks of skydiving, before you became a skydiver?

Honestly, not really. I started answering my calling to the sky by flying airplanes, and I was young, stupid, and invincible. Now I'm older, stupid, and sore as a mofo.

I wonder because of some remarks that a friend of mine has made

Like what? (I'm nosy)

I knew it could be hard on your knees, and I remember an article in Life Magezine I read a few years before I started jumping about a 12-year-old who didn't live (he was probably part of the reason for the 16-year minimum age).

But I sure didn't have any specifics. Took FJC to let me know in more detail all the stuff that could go wrong....

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When I mention the risks (like breaking a leg, etc.), she says, "Well, now you're scaring me, I don't want to hear that". Well, I think she does have to hear it, because she talks about possibly taking AFF. I know it's all about the fun and thrill, but you must think about the danger and then weigh the risks and go for it anyway because it's a risk you want to take. I've heard her complain she got a little bruised and sore on one landing, so therefore she doesn't like that particular dropzone. The last time she did a tandem there, she complained the TM didn't do anything "fun". I'm willing to take the risk, but I think I'm a little more informed than she is about it. Does any of this make sense to anybody?

J

I mean, look what happened to Jamie Summers.

Good point, but she became bionic. How cool is that?

Hey, I broke both legs, too, and all they did was stuff them full of titanium. Where are my bionic legs? I WANT MY BIONIC LEGS!!! Or is this the modern medical insurance version?

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

When I mention the risks (like breaking a leg, etc.), she says, "Well, now you're scaring me, I don't want to hear that". Well, I think she does have to hear it, because she talks about possibly taking AFF. I know it's all about the fun and thrill, but you must think about the danger and then weigh the risks and go for it anyway because it's a risk you want to take. I've heard her complain she got a little bruised and sore on one landing, so therefore she doesn't like that particular dropzone. The last time she did a tandem there, she complained the TM didn't do anything "fun". I'm willing to take the risk, but I think I'm a little more informed than she is about it. Does any of this make sense to anybody?

It makes perfect sense. Everybody has an aversion to pain, well, except truly crazy people. I think that all new skydivers go throgh a phase where the public notions about skydiving disolve and reality sets in. Of course, it's harder for some than others. The really hard part is differentiating between natural fear and incompetence. I'm still working on that myself [:/]

It is all risk analysis.

If people fully realized the risks of driving/ highway driving they would not get in a car.

Because of built in safety (technology), people are prone to believe they are "safe".

This reminds me of a Brian Germain canopy lecture that he spent more time talking about psychology than skill. People are dumb animals in high stress environments (we are prone to make bad choices); the adrenaline we seek mutes our judgement.

It's all a question of awareness of risk and training/ skill. There are a lot of people who believe things about skydiving based on bad information.

I started jumping because I knew current parachute technology was relatively proven and that the injury/ fatality risks were comparable to driving a car.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Hey, I broke both legs, too, and all they did was stuff them full of titanium. Where are my bionic legs? I WANT MY BIONIC LEGS!!! Or is this the modern medical insurance version?

It's probably because you're with an HMO. Me, I'm still waiting for my flying car, dammit!

Now, back to the original question.... Myself, I started without knowing the risks. There was a group of us from my office who went for our first jumps and a friend and I liked it enough to keep going, get licensed, etc...

Once I learned the risks I did have to make the decision as to whether it was worth it to me to keep with it. But for me the comaraderie, fun, and joy the sport give me are more than worth those risks.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Ever since I was a kid I knew skydiving was dangerous. I mean, look what happened to [url "http://www.sixmilliondollarsite.co.uk/oldsite/six%20million%20dollar%20man%20episodes/episode35.htm"]Jaime Sommers

But that was in 1975. She was jumping a round.

Postal Rodriguez
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

look what happened to Jaime Sommers

That's what got me into skydiving in the first place. I knew even if there was a terrible accident, they could rebuild me, they have the technology. Then I would have cool bionics and be able to crush my enemies.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Befrore I made my first tandem, I had read the Skydive Chicago webpage, the RWS webpage (because I knew thats the tandem they used), the fatalaties page, the skydiving faq page, and a dozen or so other pages and newspaper articles. Oh yea, I had seen a couple of tandem videos as well.

Before AFP I had read the entire Skydivers Handbook, went to Quincy and watched a few botched low turns, read any book on skydiving I could find at the time (How to skydive in 8 days), downloaded as many mal videos that I could find, and well over 100 webpages.

Yup, needless to say I was informed. In fact, during my AFP first jump class when they took us outside to explain landing patterns....I looked up at the canopies and asked the instructor if that guy hooking it was under a FX or a VX (I only had two tandems at the time). He turned to me and said "you are gonna to be trouble." :P

Befrore I made my first tandem, I had read the Skydive Chicago webpage, the RWS webpage (because I knew thats the tandem they used), the fatalaties page, the skydiving faq page, and a dozen or so other pages and newspaper articles. Oh yea, I had seen a couple of tandem videos as well.

Before AFP I had read the entire Skydivers Handbook, went to Quincy and watched a few botched low turns, read any book on skydiving I could find at the time (How to skydive in 8 days), downloaded as many mal videos that I could find, and well over 100 webpages.

Yup, needless to say I was informed. In fact, during my AFP first jump class when they took us outside to explain landing patterns....I looked up at the canopies and asked the instructor if that guy hooking it was under a FX or a VX (I only had two tandems at the time). He turned to me and said "you are gonna to be trouble." :P

Damn, that makes me feel old. When I started there were no web pages, tandem or Skydive Chicago.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I paid for my (now ex) girlfriend to do AFF last year in spain. She was sensible enough to understand the danger and she soaked the groundschool training up like a wet sponge. After 6/7 jumps she'd had a few hard openings and a couple of crap landings. She had very badly bruised thighs, shoulders and knees. She then decided it wasnt for her, but she did it, stayed safe and enjoyed it.

I think if your friend takes in the safety proceedures and stays safe, in time she wil realise the real dangers and appreciate what she is doing.

I think what bothers me the most is her bad mouthing the DZ because she got a little bruised on her landing. She has to expect some soreness, sometimes, doesn't she? She says she doesn't like it there, they aren't friendly, she got hurt, etc. She just got back from Hawaii and did a tandem there and had a lot of fun, but when she talks about it, it is mostly about the tandem master and what a repoire she had with him! I sometimes think she would do this just to say "I'm a skydiver". Anyway, I guess I've ranted enough!

J

what bothers me the most is her bad mouthing the DZ because she got a little bruised on her landing.

I'm curious as to why she thinks this is the DZ's fault. I had a bad landing also, but it was because of my own stupidity.

Exactly what I'm trying to say! I'm beginning to think that maybe the tm's weren't 'friendly' enough? It's not the dz at fault here, she has to start to realize, she will have bad landings, but as long as they're tandems she can blame someone else.

J