jjudd

Vigil II CTRL ERROR CODE 6 should they...

So went to turn on the vigil today to jump. CTRL ERROR 6 came up. Just got a reserve reopack a month ago and have had the unit since it was new for about 14 months.

It cant be jumped once this error activated as you cant shut it down and after speaking with them it has to go back to the factory for diagnostics and then they will fix it and send it back. But I have to now have a new repack and had to ship it to them, not to mention the longer it takes the longer im out of working and the dealer offered to replace it with a new one and deal with them but they "say thats more complicated"

This is after they acknowledged there is an issue with batch of ctrl units made during that time and that they have had several have to come back already.

How many is a batch and why havent you contacted us with that batch with the concern as this is already become an issue you are aware of vigil.

Vote so I can send them this and get a new unit for gods sake, cheap is all I can think of.. not to mention now others have to wait until they have a issue then pop their reserve and wait. Love the urgency to replace the unit quickly.

To their credit they did call back fast but arent admitting it needs to be replaced even though its serious enough to need to go to the factory.

I think it is absolutely okay to replace the control unit and charge for that. They advertise a 12-month warranty and that's it. If you want more you should consider another AAD. You get what you pay for.

Spoken like the true 1 eyed Cypres supporter you are. :)
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

So went to turn on the vigil today to jump. CTRL ERROR 6 came up. Just got a reserve reopack a month ago and have had the unit since it was new for about 14 months.

It cant be jumped once this error activated as you cant shut it down and after speaking with them it has to go back to the factory for diagnostics and then they will fix it and send it back. But I have to now have a new repack and had to ship it to them, not to mention the longer it takes the longer im out of working and the dealer offered to replace it with a new one and deal with them but they "say thats more complicated"

This is after they acknowledged there is an issue with batch of ctrl units made during that time and that they have had several have to come back already.

How many is a batch and why havent you contacted us with that batch with the concern as this is already become an issue you are aware of vigil.

Vote so I can send them this and get a new unit for gods sake, cheap is all I can think of.. not to mention now others have to wait until they have a issue then pop their reserve and wait. Love the urgency to replace the unit quickly.

To their credit they did call back fast but arent admitting it needs to be replaced even though its serious enough to need to go to the factory.

Wait...you got Vigil to call you back on a holiday weekend Sunday?
I'm impressed with that response on its own.
I'd require the dealer to deal with it, complicated or not.That's why they're there, to take care of problems and represent the manufacturer whether it's "more complicated" or not.

does your problem fall under the warranty of teh object ?
If yes, they should repair it, as they want (replace parts or complete unit)
If not, they should inform you about the cost of the repair and you decide if you want it repaired or not.

I would have no problem paying for the shipping.

If they do any kind of work on it and not charge you for it, then it is a proof they have a great customer service.
If they charge you for the work/parts, it does not mean that they have a bad customer service, it would mean that they go "by the conditions"

If you want cheap, get an Argus.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think it is absolutely okay to replace the control unit and charge for that. They advertise a 12-month warranty and that's it. If you want more you should consider another AAD. You get what you pay for.

Spoken like the true 1 eyed Cypres supporter you are. :)

You got it ;) However I have to correct myself. According to the manual the warranty lasts 24 months from the date of purchase. They will replace any defective parts for free, which is clearly stated on page 35 of the manual. There 's nothing said about the reserve repack costs.

where's the "i'm a cheap skate and should have gotten a cypres instead"-option!?

:P

Completely unfair comment.

I was an AFFI on a jump with a student. We checked the AAD twice on the ground, once while walking to the aircraft. Said "0". On jumprun on our final check the AAD had a 4 digit error code... We rode the plane down. The DZO lost the revenue of three slots, and two instructors lost their pay too for that plane ride. If the jump would have been a typical skydiver, not a student, the jumper would have jumped because very few people check their AAD on jumprun after checking it on the ground.

It was a Cypres brand AAD...

No AAD is perfect. We all accept financial risk for owning technology.

You should, in general, fix your own gear. If you cannot, you will have to pay someone else to do it for you. It's your gear and your responsibility.

Given that, it's pretty nice of them to offer to fix it for you for free.

apparently, washing your dirty laundry in public is the new black amongst skydivers.. :S

so far, i have only gotten outstanding service from all the companies i've been dealing with; up to a point where a very well known manufacturer has sent out a very expensive, new and custom item to me without them having a single cent from me in their account.

all it needed was a phone-call and my assurance it will happen as agreed. i have no doubts i'd be ever able to order something again directly if i wouldnt have acted as promised.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thanks for the votes and info. Love some of the comments B|.. It think that having received some more info, now knowing that vigil considers the cntrl unit actually the display I'm fine with a repair. I was under the idea this was the brain of the main unit not the display.

That being said They do have great customer service weather it was by fluke or not as I mentioned but I would rather deal through the dealer though they dont want me too. The persepective helps. Thanks all.

And ill leave it at Vigil is awesome and im glad they admitted they had an issue with the batch but sucks for those of us with those ctrl units. And they do have a 2 year manufacture defect coverage so id say they were right to say they would cover repairs at the least. Now vigil add a speed mode to the unit!

I got the error 6 on my 2 year old Vigil 3 days before Couch Freaks last year. One phone call to Deland and there was a brand new unit on my doorstep the next day, no charge, even before I returned my unit to them.

Vigil rocks. I own 2 of them. After my last Cypress "expires", I'll own 3 Vigils.

My $ 0.02
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

I got the error 6 on my 2 year old Vigil 3 days before Couch Freaks last year. One phone call to Deland and there was a brand new unit on my doorstep the next day, no charge, even before I returned my unit to them.

It would be even better if they built the better quality product in the first place.

It would be even better if they built the better quality product in the first place.

come on, stay fair. Any unit can malfunction. Errors/defects have been noticed, AFAIK, on all AAD brands and models.

come on, stay fair. Any unit can malfunction. Errors/defects have been noticed, AFAIK, on all AAD brands and models.

True, but you _have to_ agree that Vigil has had a lot of them, not only in the early phase.

True, but you _have to_ agree that Vigil has had a lot of them, not only in the early phase.

You're saying that CYPRES and Argus have not had a lot of problems not only in the early phase?

You're saying that CYPRES and Argus have not had a lot of problems not only in the early phase?

I will skip Argus, but I would say that Cypres had fewer problems than Vigil, same number of years after the introduction. Also true, fewer people used Internet in 1995, so bad news was not so spread out.

I will skip Argus, but I would say that Cypres had fewer problems than Vigil, same number of years after the introduction. Also true, fewer people used Internet in 1995, so bad news was not so spread out.

Cite your resource. By your same argument, CYPRES was able to avoid widespread news of defect in the early days, too.
I'm not taking a side, but I'd like to understand your resourc relating to AAD problem statistics for either manufacturer.

By your same argument, CYPRES was able to avoid widespread news of defect in the early days, too

This is what I was saying. Cypres was introduced in 1991, Vigil in 2003.

Well we all dont want to use it.. But in the event someone takes you out id like to have it for sure.. thats why i wont jump until its back in my rig and because i dont want to pay for 2 repacks

Update:

A different vigil rep called last tuesday after the holiday and then said that the first rep was wrong and this is a serious enough issue that they are sending a new unit immediately. They said they would overnight it. Its still in the mail and wont be here until late next week according to the tracking number. Love the 2 different people and them saying they will do things but then its different

Their service is good but I cant stand behind any word they have said yet. We will see if it is actually a new unit like they stated or if its a refurbished one.. Exciting... now I haven't jumped in 2 weeks

i still stand behind vigil but it would be nice if they gave the unit errors in their manual and a way to deactivate it until a new unit came so if you choose you could jump until then and then make a quick swap. The unit is great minus the user friendliness for errors. They know damn well whats wrong with it based on the code.

Good but bad customer service

Well we all dont want to use it.. But in the event someone takes you out id like to have it for sure.. thats why i wont jump until its back in my rig and because i dont want to pay for 2 repacks

but it would be nice if they gave the unit errors in their manual and a way to deactivate it until a new unit came so if you choose you could jump until then and then make a quick swap. The unit is great minus the user friendliness for errors. They know damn well whats wrong with it based on the code.

if you give your rig to the same rigger who last repacked it, he should be allowed to open and reclose without repacking your rig. I would charge, to the maximum, an AAD removal+install, not a complete repack.

Concerning meaning of errors and how to deactivate... My opinion is the device said : ERROR. I interpret is as DON'T JUMP ME.
How to deactivate it : open reserve flaps, remove device, close reserve flaps. As simple as that.

DO NOT JUMP devices which are not working properly. There have been cases with several AAD manufacturers. Unit was not showing proper function, was jumped, and popped at undesirable altitude.

This is not specific to AAD Vigil, Airtec CYPRES, Aviacom Argus or any other. This, in my opinion, is valid for each and every device. If it doesn't work, remove it till it works properly.

Our reply to Justin:

Hello Justin,

I am the representative who called you last Tuesday. I am quite sure you have misunderstood what we discussed, so I hope to clarify all of what I said again this in my email.
According to what your email was stating, your Vigil will need to be sent to the factory for service, however we will not be able to say for sure until we receive the unit here in our Florida office. We have not yet received your Vigil to verify the information.
Please see page 14 of the Vigil manual:
In case the «Ctrl Err» message appears due to a failure in the electronic circuits, you need to send the
Vigil® back to your dealer or to the factory for a complete check up.

Normally a service/repair that requires a return to the factory in Belgium takes approximately two weeks, (+/ - )and we cover all of this shipping, as well as the return of the unit to you. I believe you mentioned having a trip on the 20th and you were hoping to have your Vigil back before that date?
Because of this, ( and not what you now mentioned below on DZ.com) we agreed to ship you a new replacement unit and go ahead and send it on its way without having first received your Vigil back. This was a decision made in the interest of time, so that you would be covered before your trip on the 20th .

Without having received a tracking number (of your Vigil return ) from you, we shipped you replacement on September 7th. According to UPS:
Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 09/14/2011, By End of Day

After receiving your very first email, our road representative called you back on a Sunday. He did so as an attempt to help. Any misunderstanding of what you were reporting was simply a misunderstanding, not any malicious attempt to upset you. It makes no difference to you which error code was showing, you have to send the unit back no matter what. The same would be the case if the problem was in the controller/LCD. It would never be OK to continue using a Vigil after an error code has appeared. This is part of the design of the unit. A Vigil has no scheduled maintenance required, but this does not mean that in the 20 year life of the unit, you will never need to send the unit in.
By sending you out a replacement, instead of making you make the minimum two weeks for your service, we were also attempting to help ease any inconvenience related to your planned trip.
It has now come to my attention that you have left two nasty voice mails on our office answering machine, bashed our company's customer service on a public forum and misstated what was reported to you on several different occasions.
Customer service is important to us, and we make every attempt to satisfy our customers. Since you have been a Vigil customer for less than two years, we will now offer you another option- a complete refund of your original purchase price. If you send us a copy of your receipt ( from your purchase at Square One) we will completely refund your money. If you prefer this option, we can either stop the delivery of the new Vigil in route or you can simply refuse/return it. We would also need to receive your original Vigil back or at least a tracking number.
This is a sincere offer. Just let us know if you would prefer this option.

Best Regards,

Candace Procos
Vigil USA, LLC