aufreefly

Did you ever look back and think...I was stupid

I have found another use for DZ.com...

For those of us who have been posting (or lurking mostly) since we began jumping, we can look back and get a feel for the way we thought when we were beginning skydivers.

If I think about the way that I used to think, "it won't happen to me", or "I'm better than that", it scares me. I think that I just made it through those lower jump numbers on pure luck. I wish that there had been someone like skybytch or billvon to tell me to my face..."you are not ready for that canopy, let me show you what a LARGER canopy can do in the hands of an experienced pilot".

People hear that sort of thing all of the time, and they don't heed the warnings. Why? For me it was seeing the people that I respected as skydivers flying the pocket rockets and swooping a mile every landing. What I didn't see was the years that they had put in to get to the point where they could do that.

Another thing that I noticed looking back, is that reading your old posts can be a lot like reading your diary ( I have never kept one). I keep on reading and thinking "I said that?". This applies to skydiving and the political flamewars, just knowing my online alter-ego people must think that I am an ass.

This probably will not interest anyone but I wish I could round everyone up that helped me to be a better skydiver (every skydiver that I ever talked to at length) and thank them for providing their advise.

I guess the best thing that I can do is try to talk to the newer jumpers and tell them the little that I have learned in the sport (relatively speaking, I only have 600 jumps). But even that does not feel right because only with time have I realized that I know so little about the sport.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I alone here...

This probably will not interest anyone but I wish I could round everyone up that helped me to be a better skydiver (every skydiver that I ever talked to at length) and thank them for providing their advise.

Interesting you should say this. I recently sent a thank you note to a DZO, his wife and included his two awesome sons as well.

There are so many to thank, you know? I stand in shock and awe at so many that helped me. A gentleman who rules this town and heads a RW team that rakes in the awards, speaks to me. I always feel great about it. (I feel like I should be kissing his feet) He offered me his gloves once so I could hold onto the bar better. (I have crummy wrists) Upon landing I skidded in thru mud. His white gloves were not white anymore. I was scared, I ran around trying to work out the mud stains. I couldnt do it. Mr Jack just smiled and laughed. He mentioned that the point was- if the gloves helped.

I guess the best thing that I can do is try to talk to the newer jumpers and tell them the little that I have learned in the sport (relatively speaking, I only have 600 jumps). But even that does not feel right because only with time have I realized that I know so little about the sport.

You know more than you think. You are cutting yourself short my friend. Anything you can say to any upcoming jumper is a really good thing. Continue to do so please. Even if you acknowledge their presence is so much a wonderful thing to the new jumper. Sometimes newbies wonder if they will ever get 1000 jumps and therefore be qualified to speak to people.

Just saying. Hello, how is it going, is a real boost to a person coming up. If they do not smile, then they dont understand the brotherhood end of skydiving yet. Try again.

Students with 10 jumps can speak to another student with 3. In my opinion.

~AirAnn~

And another thing...

I appreciate your full blown honesty.

I keep on reading and thinking "I said that?". This applies to skydiving and the political flamewars, just knowing my online alter-ego people must think that I am an ass.

Dude, everyone thinks I am an ass. You are not alone!!! Matter of fact I bet I am a bigger ass than you. ....... (well, I hope you have a super tiny ass).:S

You just dont look back so much in real life. Go forward my son, straight thru the fog. What you have done and and what I have done has made us both better skydivers/people. We just keep learning from the good and the bad. Human beings work that way. Moths, that is another deal, flamewars and they are history.

Since I believe you are not writing this via prison for being a mass murder, its all good.

~AirAnn~

Skydiving is remarkably similar to life. When I was first brought into the skydiving world, I knew I knew very little about the sport. But then once I hit 100 jumps, I knew I wasn't ultra experienced, but I felt I knew a thing or two about the sport. But now that I've jumped more, I look back at when I had 100, 200 and 300 jumps and realize that I knew jack. Now that I'm at 400 jumps do I know it all? Hell no. And what will I think if/when I make it to 500, 1000 or 2000+ jumps?

Life is like this. When we were teenagers we thought we knew it all. But we didn't. Life is full of learning experiences and the more we live life, the fuller our range of experiences will be. So the next time you look at a senior citizen, don't think of them as old. Think of them as experienced. And the next time you look at a old time skydiver. Don't think of them as POPS, but think of them as a dam flat belly flier who's afraid to try freeflying. Okay I know that was uncalled for. But I just needed to break the ice and have some fun. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I like to think i've come a long way in that last 21 months,
i spend quite a lot of time reading most of the forums on here, with exception to the discipline & gereral forums,
although i take a peek now and again when i need to swat up on something.

I like to think that i know more than my numbers suggest, but that doesn't cut it in the air.

Things that i've adopted safety-wise are:
Having a hard deck (1500ft).
Pick my lz at 1000ft (wherever it is).
Use an RSL if i have one fitted (subject to kit & discipline).
Always use a Cypres.
Buy the best kit you can afford.
Coaching saves lives & money.
Everyone can see your last 1000ft, don't fuck it up.

Other things i have also learned ... is that not everyone is a skygod,
not everyone can afford a rig, let alone go jumping every weekend,
everyone has their issues, some big, some small, its the same the world over.

I love skydiving, and have only been able to relay and have understood, this feeling, to other people who love skydiving too.

So in a 'beating about the bush-esque' answer to your post... No your not alone. ;)

just knowing my online alter-ego people must think that I am an ass.

*gives aufreefly a high-five*

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

So the next time you look at a senior citizen, don't think of them as old. Think of them as experienced. And the next time you look at a old time skydiver. Don't think of them as POPS, but think of them as a dam flat belly flier who's afraid to try freeflying.

I used to think that, until I tried some 10 way RW (thats big for me). I really wish that I had gotten into RW in the beginning and am actually considering getting an RW suit and pursuing it more seriously. I hope that there will be enough people getting into the sport who do RW so that in 10 years there will be a 400 way RW formation.

And the next time you look at a old time skydiver. Don't think of them as POPS, but think of them as a dam flat belly flier who's afraid to try freeflying.

You're a POPS aren't you?

MadJohn took up Freefying at about 50:P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

And the next time you look at a old time skydiver. Don't think of them as POPS, but think of them as a dam flat belly flier who's afraid to try freeflying.

You're a POPS aren't you?

MadJohn took up Freefying at about 50:P

Not yet, but once I am, I'll be looking to be in on some POPS freeflying records. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over