davevans

Cookie G2 discontinued and replaced with the G3

My guess would be speed (and cost) of production.

My exact guess as well. Plus if there is any impact I'm lead to believe that carbon fiber would crack under a certain pressure as apposed to ABS plastic which would dent therefore reducing/absorbing more blunt of the blow and dispersing the energy throughout the helmet.

edit to add: Still can't deny the carbon fiber G2 look of the helmet though !
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

The other issue they had with the G2 was the visor popping open about an inch. Apparently due to a weaker spring in the locking mechanism. I haven't had any major fogging issues or a problem with the visor but I know people who have.

There's also been a known issue with certain visors that take on a "crackled" appearance (for lack of a better way to describe it). I've had that issue and seen others who have had it; it seems to start from the top and bottom of the visor and gradually make its way towards the center (slowly - mine never got more than a half inch from the top and hadn't started on the bottom when I got my replacement visor).

Cookie acknowledges this is a known defect with certain visors and is replacing them at no cost (through their dealer network). I was happy with that resolution.

I've had limited fogging issues and no issues with the locking mechanism.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Oh, right, good point. I had another friend who's visor had that issue.

Kirk Verner was out at my DZ for a 4 way camp this past weekend, he has a bunch of holes cut out of his G2 visor around the edges to stop the fogging on opening. I have fogging on opening too but cleared really quick and not a visibility issue for me.

We have an order of these come in out at the DZ and everyone seems to like them but said they are running just a tad smaller than the G2. I know a few people were grabbing the next size up G3 over what they would have gotten a G2 in. I would advise trying one on for fit to make sure its correct.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Good question as I'm curious as well.

Anyone have a same size G2 and G3 with a oz/weed scale? lol If anyone does please weigh them without any audibles and let us know!

edit to add: Oh and Happy thanksgiving everyone! Load up on that L-Tryptophan

Thanks for the mass Cookie. The changes possibly being driven by a manufacturing costs/availability issue (since no apparent durability issues have surfaced), but I continue to have a strong preference for the carbon fiber construction of the G2. Just a little customer input.

If you can choose a helmet world you stick with G2 (carbon fiber with fogging issues) or G3 (ABS Plastic) without fogging issues?

I did choose and I bought a G3 B|

G3's fogging issue hasn't been proved yet,
wait for the winter time

It's officially winter....anyone that has a G3 have any fogging issues during this winter season??

I would give my 2 cents and review, but fortunately its 85 and sunny where I recently just moved to and never gets below 70 ever so fogging isn't an issue :)

wait for the winter time

It's officially winter....anyone that has a G3 have any fogging issues during this winter season??

My G3 has survived so far this winter without any noticeable fogging. I reckon it was below -20 Celsius at altitude for some of those and below freezing at ground level. I just keep the visor open until just before exit and open it again under canopy.

We have an order of these come in out at the DZ and everyone seems to like them but said they are running just a tad smaller than the G2. I know a few people were grabbing the next size up G3 over what they would have gotten a G2 in. I would advise trying one on for fit to make sure its correct.

Yup. I tried a G2 for fit which was OK and ordered the same size G3, it was too small. Had to modificate the liner with a scalpel to get it to contain my oversized cranium.

wait for the winter time

I would give my 2 cents and review, but fortunately its 85 and sunny where I recently just moved to and never gets below 70 ever so fogging isn't an issue :)

Had some fogging issues in the Eloy tunnel early in the mornings when i was there a couple of weeks back. Morning temps were 30-40 before entering the tunnel
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Cookie and all other helmet manufacturer's take note!

Contrary to what everyone says, now there is "FOG PROOF" and let's see this potentially implemented into the skydiving helmet realm where visors would NEVER even have a chance of fogging even without any ventilation !

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/glare-dust-and-fog-free-glass-0426.html