NovaTTT

GQ Security Safety-Chute

I was working with a pilot and his PC303 tonight when his friend popped in with a PEP he acquired with a recent glider purchase. He couldn't identify it but wanted me to rig it; the rig has no TSO label, no mfgr markings.

He dragged out this rig which I recognized as a GQSSC. Despite its age it's in pretty good external condition.

It appears to have come from Canada (Niagara Parachutes - anyone know if they still sell gear?)

I declined to work on the rig and informed him that to the best of my knowlege it's not airworthy but I did offer him a good deal on a new system. Have to wait and see how that works out.

He took the bad news about the system well, but that's not what surprises me. I'm surprised that up to October 2010 this rig has been actively rigged (since at least 1992!) :S
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Niagara Parachutes was a Canadian gear manufacturer that went out of business some time ago because the died in a plane crash. The nick name for the owner was Captain Xerox as he made more than a few copies of gear. That gear would not have been made under a TSO.

While it wouldn't be allowed for use in the US, he may be able to sell it to someone in a country that doesn't require TSO's like Canada.

While it wouldn't be allowed for use in the US, he may be able to sell it to someone in a country that doesn't require TSO's like Canada.

Quite right! The owner should be reminded that it has resale value, especially since it looks so new.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi Nova,

I doubt that is a Security SafetyChute.

1. The color is rather odd; but that would not make the determination. Virtually every Security rig came in blue or red. :S

2. The harness is not an 'aerobtic' type. The Security rigs did not have any chest strap or leg snaps. :o

Look at the Softie 'Aerobatic' harness in your ParaGear catalog for what is rather similar to the harness on a SafetyChute.

As mentioned, it is probably a Canadian-made copy.

Just my observation,

JerryBaumchen

Geez!

The last time I was asked to repack one of Eddie Grimm's PEPs was back in 1989!

IIRC Eddie Grimm died during the winter of 1987-88, while trying to fly an ultra-light airplane through a snow storm.

His sons tried to keep the business going, but lacked Eddie's expertise.

Packed one once. The spring loaded loop rectractor thingie (technical term) was annoying to say the least.

Agreed!

I had to invent a new tool and teach myself how to use three pull-up cords before I got graceful at closing GQ Security PEPs.

That extra spring might have been helpful - back when George Quilter invented the spiral-spring pilot-chute (during the Second World War), but advances in spring technology have rendered extra springs (e.g. pack opening bands) superfluous.

Interesting and informative input - thanks to all.

After inspecting the container last night I suggested that it might be either a knock-off or NPL (about which I knew next-to-nothing, other than their being Canadian) removed the TSO label and affixed their own label.

Either way it's no good in the US but I didn't consider that it could be airworthy and have value outside the States.

I guess that makes me guilty of Americentrism. Apologies to my non-American friends!

;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I agree it doesn't look quite right for a security. And it that a bungee between the hooks? if it is that's not part of a security that's legal.

Why people are still willing to pack real securities escapes me.:S Of course I won't pack 1950's military rigs either and I see those recently packed.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry,

I was just sitting here & pondering about your comments and some others.

Guys like you, riggerrob, nova, riggermick, and a whole bunch more who post here ( to include me ) will probably be looking at and commenting on some gear as they close the coffin lid on us.

:P

It does seem to get into one's blood.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And if any of you go to a PIA Symposium and Terry calls you ~10:30 PM and says to come up to his room to look at some gear and you end up BS'ing with him until 3:30 AM, it is your own fault.

You have been warned. :)

It's a spring between the hooks, Terry, but I see the photo rendering makes it look like a bungee.

What I find interesting about this, in the final analysis, is that were this rig genuine it wouldn't be airworthy anywhere, AFAIK. But being a copy, as discussed above, it's good to go in some countries. . . and may end up being sold for use!

Jerry, I admit to being excited when Jeff brought me this 'mystery' rig to identify and rig. Felt like a kid at Xmas again!

Your going to outlive me Jerry.:S Read my signature.

Shit, he'll probably out live us all with all the nylon remnants coursing through his viens, like Keith Richards he's well preserved through chemical contact, albit of a different delivery method.
Mick.

PS: I'm living back, State side now, Hoooyah!! San Diego (again) to be exact. PM me for contact details.

"

... or NPL ... removed the TSO label and affixed their own label. ...;)

"

You are thinking too hard.
Niagara Parachutes made knock-offs of (Relative Workshop) Wonderhogs, (Sky Supplies) Mirages and (GQ Security) Safety-Chutes.
I packed a couple of NPL's PEPs, but that was back during the late 1980s.
I doubt if any Canadian would give more than a dime for most of NPL's products today.
NPL's PEPs are illegal to wear in U.S. registered airplanes.

A display of perseverance:

I found this currently for sale on eBay. :|

I call BS!

That container was not made by Strong or Security. It looks more like it was made by Para-Innovators.

But it might contain a canopy made by GQ Security (obsolete for soooooo many reasons) or a Strong LoPo.

I really wish - those &^%$#@! ... er ... lazy e-bay sellers - would read hte label before offering stuff for sale.

Hi Rob,

I think that it is a Security SafetyChute.

Not long before Security was sold they made one just like that & called it the SafetyChute also.

Why they called two so dis-similar looking/functioning containers by the same name is very strange to me. :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Notice that it says 'Stong' and not Strong. :P

PPS)

I really wish - those &^%$#@! ... er ... lazy e-bay sellers - would read hte label before offering stuff for sale.

I could not agree more! >:(