happythoughts

fun with telemarketers

Dave Barry recently wrote a column about telemarketers. Dave was a writer for the Miami Herald. Pulitzer Prize winner, and the model for the tv show Daves World.

clicky

The public, shrewdly, pays no attention to presidential politics until all the peripheral dorks are weeded out and it's finally time to make a selection between the two main dorks left over.

So what does the public care about right now? Telemarketers. The public hates them. It hates them even more than it hates France, low-flow toilets and alleged customer service.

About www.donotcall.com:

...This group argues that if its members are prohibited from calling people who do not want to be called, then 2 million telemarketers will lose their jobs. Of course, you could use pretty much the same reasoning to argue that laws against mugging cause unemployment among muggers. But that would be unfair. Muggers rarely intrude into your home.

Call the American Teleservices Association, toll-free, at 877-779-3974, and tell them what you think.

:ph34r::ph34r:

I think we should all call. They are always calling me and asking my opinion, it must be important to them. :)

Just trying to help. :ph34r:

Of course, you could use pretty much the same reasoning to argue that laws against mugging cause unemployment among muggers. But that would be unfair. Muggers rarely intrude into your home.

Yeah, but since telemarketers can't do business the same way, they'll just turn to using more spam. And muggers would just become home invaders.

:P

An old friend of mine and I used to like to play practical jokes on each other. I got the Mormons to stop by every weekend to attempt to deliver her a free video tape that was sure to save our marriage; she in return signed me up for Sears home siding. For months Sears would call me every couple of days trying to sell me home siding, professional house painting services etc. I tried to explain the situation to the caller each time, and each time they would promise to put me on their do-not-call list; of course they never did. One day I had had enough. When the guy asked if Mr. McGill was at home I enquired, "Who Is This!?!" He said, "so-n-so from Sears." I yelled, "IS THIS SOME SORT OF SICK JOKE?" The poor guy said, "uh, no." I said, "WELL Mr. McGILL IS DEAD AND HAS BEEN FOR DAMN NEAR A YEAR!" and hung up. I finally made it on their do-not-call list
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I think we should all call. They are always calling me and asking my opinion, it must be important to them.

They actually stopped answering that number claiming that they had staff spending five hours a day deleting messages. I have been calling them whenever I pass by a payphone on the way home from class. I know they just delete it, but it still feels good to know that eventually they will have to reprint all their literature if we keep it up.:)

my personal fav, is to tell the telemarketer that i am very interested in "whatever" they are trying to sell, but ask if they could just hold on for one second, i then set the phone down, walk away, come back about five minutes later (usually they are still there) and tell them yes i am defintly interested, but to please be patient and hold on for one more minute, then walk away, return again about five minutes later, usually after that they will hang up, if they are still there, tell them you changed you mind and are no longer interested and ask to be put on there no call listB|