Olmed

Silhouette vs Puls

Plan to buy.

Vector rig and Silhouette or Pulse main chute.

Weight 206 pounds (stripped).

Height 6,07".

Is the Silhouette outdated? It seems as a very good and predictable yet with some fun in it for a novice jumper?

The Pulse seems to bring a novice jumper one more step closer to the more "aggressive" sport chutes?

Is either one better when landing out and how is the flare/landing compared between those two?

Both have been discussed earlier, but I am about to buy and would appreciate any input (what you heard or own experience).

I have already been through the gear section and former posts.

Thanks!

I have never jumped a Pulse - it's actually on my list because I am curious as to how the design performs compared to the Silhouette, on which have have over 1200 jumps.

The Silhouette has been around since 1997, which puts the design at 1995 or 1996. It was aimed a a particular segment of the market as an easy to fly "all-around" canopy that had the advantages hybrid construction using a mix of higher performance Zero P and 0-3 cfm fabric making it easy to pack. The design was so good that they started building it with a more docile trim and in even square footage sizes and called it a "Navigator."

The first one I jumped - about 200 jumps - had Dacron lines. When it was replaced by another one with Spectra microline the increase in performance was noticeable. Over 1000 of my Silhouette jumps were on a canopy loaded at about 1.45 to 1.

The Pulse came out in 2008 (I think), which puts the design at 2006 or 2007. It is an advanced hybrid, using Zero P on top and ribs/bottom skin made of the proprietary low-bilk material they use in their Optimum Reserve. It also uses Vectran lines, which hold their trim much better than Spectra, although they don't last quite as long. I have watched the videos of openings and landings here. I like what I see.

The Pulse was certainly aimed at the same segment of the market, but has not necessarily "replaced" the Silhouette. This is typical of PD when a new canopy comes out aimed at a segment of the market that already has a canopy to satisfy it. The Storm and the Spectre are other examples of that.

Your decision will balance the fact that the Silhouette has proven itself as a fantastic canopy for its purpose, against the fact that modern design and materials have gone into designing the Pulse. Have fun!
Arrive Safely

John

with close to 200 on the Pulse and over 1K on the Silhouette;
The Sil is a tad more sporty, and it has a good flare. I still use a Sil for demo when flying a larger flag. It responds nicely to various inputs while being incredibly tolerant of error.

The Pulse is even more tolerant, does not have a strong flare, but doesn't need it. It lands so flat that with almost no input, it lands smoothly. Landings on rears is kinda fun and not at all exciting (in terms of "what's gonna happen now?")

I think the Pulse is aimed at the older, slower crowd, or for folks that just want a canopy to get em' to the ground with zero drama no matter what they do.

An older jumper (late 70's) with around 3000 is using my Pulse 170 and really enjoying it as compared to the Sabre II and Spectre he's previously jumped.

Hi,

I have both a Pulse 210 and a Silhouette 210 that I load at a little less that 1:1 (175 lbs in the morning). I have approx. 125 jumps on the Pulse and 25 on the Silhouette. They're both in Dolphin containers. I jumped them back-to-back for three days recently making a combined 29 jumps and found out a few things.

Frist, there wasn't that much of a difference. (and when I bought these I was agonizing over every little marketing nuance!!!) When I noticed a difference it felt like the Pulse had power steering. The steering line pressure was lighter to get the same steering response. As far as container size, I couldn't tell the difference (although the same canopy size, the Pulse packs one size smaller therefor goes into a slightly smaller container...and apparently not noticable to me).

I've read the marketing materials and know the stated differences but it was really fun to fly them back to back and when it was said and done, the differences were very slight. I now have the opinion that we're really splitting hairs between these two.

That, with the usual disclaimer, comes from a 200 jump inexperienced skydiver that took a canopy class a year ago, is not coach rated, and loves both canopies.

As for my opinion, I'd go with the Pulse. It's slightly easier to pack for me because the bottom skin is a different color, it's got the "power steering" effect without being agressive or twitchy and it's a decade newer in design.

There are some other attributes that I've noticed about the Pulse that I can't compare to the Silhouette...I just didn't notice these traits on the Silhouette and most of them come from doing the canopy course.

That's my $.02 and if I can of further help, PM me here. :)

Fred

with close to 200 on the Pulse and over 1K on the Silhouette;
The Sil is a tad more sporty, and it has a good flare. I still use a Sil for demo when flying a larger flag. It responds nicely to various inputs while being incredibly tolerant of error.

The Pulse is even more tolerant, does not have a strong flare, but doesn't need it. It lands so flat that with almost no input, it lands smoothly. Landings on rears is kinda fun and not at all exciting (in terms of "what's gonna happen now?")

I think the Pulse is aimed at the older, slower crowd, or for folks that just want a canopy to get em' to the ground with zero drama no matter what they do.

An older jumper (late 70's) with around 3000 is using my Pulse 170 and really enjoying it as compared to the Sabre II and Spectre he's previously jumped.

What´s your wing loading with Pulse???

Plan to buy.

Vector rig and Silhouette or Pulse main chute.

I've also jumped them both, and honestly, you can't possibly go wrong with either canopy!

If I were buying one new, I'd probably opt for the Pulse, just because I think PD has done a better job marketing it than the Silhouette, and it's resale value will probably reflect that... it's certainly gaining popularity where I jump, and for good reason! It's a great overall canopy! DSE is right, it's marketed to the folks that just want a stress free ride, but still want something modern and sporty feeling.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Thank you all for excellent comments.

It gave a lot of the answers I was looking for!:)
I will be ordering the Pulse. 210 or 230.

Before you do, consider the factor of depreciation of market (i.e., re-sale) value. Your profile says you have only 29 jumps. So it seems this is your first canopy after becoming a licensed skydiver. That means that you may want to sell your first canopy and downsize a bit in about a year or so, depending on how often you jump.

If you buy a brand-new canopy, its re-sale value will depreciate (reduce) considerably as soon as you make your first jump on it. If you sell it a year or 2 later, it may be for a lot less than you paid for it. On the other hand, if you buy a used canopy, you might be able to re-sell it later for not much less than what you paid & put into it. Since the Silhouette has been in existence for a lot longer than the Pulse has, there are more used Sils available "out there" than there are used Pulses.

You might only put 100-200 jumps on the first canopy you buy. It's the second canopy you buy that you might put 500-1,000 jumps on. There's nothing wrong with a new jumper buying a brand-new canopy as his first canopy, but that's one reason why most new jumpers' first canopies tend to be used ones.

Thank you all for excellent comments.

It gave a lot of the answers I was looking for!:)
I will be ordering the Pulse. 210 or 230.

Before you do, consider the factor of depreciation of market (i.e., re-sale) value. Your profile says you have only 29 jumps. So it seems this is your first canopy after becoming a licensed skydiver. That means that you may want to sell your first canopy and downsize a bit in about a year or so, depending on how often you jump.

If you buy a brand-new canopy, its re-sale value will depreciate (reduce) considerably as soon as you make your first jump on it. If you sell it a year or 2 later, it may be for a lot less than you paid for it. On the other hand, if you buy a used canopy, you might be able to re-sell it later for not much less than what you paid & put into it. Since the Silhouette has been in existence for a lot longer than the Pulse has, there are more used Sils available "out there" than there are used Pulses.

You might only put 100-200 jumps on the first canopy you buy. It's the second canopy you buy that you might put 500-1,000 jumps on. There's nothing wrong with a new jumper buying a brand-new canopy as his first canopy, but that's one reason why most new jumpers' first canopies tend to be used ones.

Hey, Thanks for the well meant advice.

Not trying to beat experience but I was hoping that down-sizing wont be an issue the first 500+ jumps. Hope to remain conservative and not get carried away by the need for more speed.

I am not negative to used canopies but at least the idea was to keep my first buy for some time..

Hey Ramplit,

First let me get the obvious information out there...I have the 60 skydive jumps, and 72 military T-10 jumps. My exit weight at 220lbs, and I've jumped the Nav 260, 240, 220 and the Sabre2 210. I loved the Sabre2 210; and have all standup landings on it, but bought a Silhouette 210 (DOM 2008) and will WL it at 1.05:1. I've heard that jumping the Silhouette heavier than 1:1 isn't a good idea, even though I'd be loading it slightly heavier at 1.05:1. I'm having it set up by my rigger now. I'm going to pull high to get a feel for the canopy flying and flaring characteristics. Do you have any feedback from your Silhouette experience? Thanks!

I own 2 Pulses and several others from different manufactures. I've been jumping since 1976 so I have a little more experience and yes, older! I love the Pulse, it's a great all around canopy. Handling is great and landings are pretty much a no-brainer. Disclaimer: I've never jumped a Shiloutte (sp) so I can't compare the two. Whichever you decide buy new if you can afford it. BTW there's a reason why you don't see Used Pulse canopies or sale, they get snapped up!

Why did you decide against another Sabre 2 and went for the Silhouette? The flight and flare characteristics will be significantly different. Honest question, just want to know, why. The Silhouettes at my dz are the most loved canopies in our rental fleet apart from the smaller pilots.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Honestly, I'm asking myself that as well, because the Sabre2 was really fun to fly, and the landing was the best of any canopy that I've jumped. On the flip side, I have 72 military jumps and I miss it that thrill (minus the heavy combat load/equipment). I chose the Silhouette because I had back surgery and knew that the Sabre2 may have me seeking that high level canopy (after time, no rush right now) to move to a more advanced canopy. I'm hoping the Silhouette would be a fun, but conservative canopy just to keep me happy for 100-200 jumps in a good safe zone with a 1.05:1 WL. I hope that makes sense. #RLTW #AATW