mixedup

a few helmet questions (Benny & Ozone in particular)

Background - just trying decide on a first helmet for myself (as a novice) to not rely on rental gear - throwing up between:
a) cheaper option - Benny http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/benny.html to get started, or
b) not so cheap - Ozone http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/cookie-ozone-helmet.html

I'm kind of ok with the idea of going with the Benny for the moment (leaving coolness at DZ out of the equation), but wanted to ask the following

Q1 - re Noise during freefall - would the Ozone be better for reduced noise during freefall? And if so is this some worth paying extra for? (so I've just used cheap rental helmets to date) Kind of hard to image freefall not being noisy in any case and is just part of the deal skydiving....

Q2 - would Ozone be any better in terms of ease in inserting/removing an audible (e.g. Optima)? With the rental gear I'm having to get tape to make sure it stays in, so would be good to have a helmet where you don't need to do this.... Or in other words, can I insert/remove an audible in the Benny without having to use tape to keep it in place?

Q3 - re in the future (down the track) getting a go-pro, this could mount on either of these correct? i.e. so no reason here to not go for the Benny here...correct?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

The Cookie Rok might be a good middle of the road alternative. It's very similar to the Ozone, but slightly smaller, cheaper, and with only one audible pocket. I jump one and love it. It quiets things down a ton but has vents over the ears so I can still hear people on the airplane.

The Cookie Rok might be a good middle of the road alternative. It's very similar to the Ozone, but slightly smaller, cheaper, and with only one audible pocket. I jump one and love it. It quiets things down a ton but has vents over the ears so I can still hear people on the airplane.

@theplummeter - oh, so in fact do you think the Ozone's extra quietness could be a negative in fact in this respect?

You don't have to use tape to hold in an audible. It can be done more elegantly than that, such as a sewn pouch, or with cut-out foam or something like that. The foam in the ear of my Pro-tec was great at securely holding an audible, but I don't know exactly how the Benny is. The Pro-tec is still much cheaper, perhaps the Benny has some advantage over it that I don't appreciate.

If you want to save your hearing, don't figure on the helmet doing it. Consider these earplugs
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You don't have to use tape to hold in an audible. It can be done more elegantly than that, such as a sewn pouch, or with cut-out foam or something like that. The foam in the ear of my Pro-tec was great at securely holding an audible, but I don't know exactly how the Benny is. The Pro-tec is still much cheaper, perhaps the Benny has some advantage over it that I don't appreciate.

If you want to save your hearing, don't figure on the helmet doing it. Consider these earplugs

@sundevil777 - thanks - so you just made a cutout that roughly held the audible, and then with your head in it can't fall out, correct? Hadn't thought of plugs, so I'm guessing you think they're worth it during freefall then? (noted paragear can't ship this product internationally unfortunately)

@sundevil777 - thanks - so you just made a cutout that roughly held the audible, and then with your head in it can't fall out, correct? Hadn't thought of plugs, so I'm guessing you think they're worth it during freefall then? (noted paragear can't ship this product internationally unfortunately)

Yes, the audible fit into the somewhat rigid foam very securely on its own. Earplugs are definitely worth it, both freefall and noise in the airplane will damage your hearing. You can probably find an international dealer:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_ddlookup&func=search&mode=dealer&strfnbr=6
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I use an Ozone and will give you my impression.

#1 Nice and quiet on the plane ride up, but not to the point where you cannot hear people. I would compare it to having soft foam earplugs in........give or take.

#2 2 audible pockets. Nice little material pockets that fit
to recessions in the helmet either side, underneath the liner.

#3 snug fit

#4 The D3O was a factor for me when buying it, but the amount they use is so small, I don't think it really has any overall impact.

cheers.

I look @helmets from a motorcyclist's viewpoint. They're there to protect your noggin. I'm not impressed w/many of the bling_bling helmets I've seen @DZs. They're flashy, but not very protective. Dunno about the Ozone. I own a Benny I'm very pleased with. The pad sets are nice & thick (unless you wear a size XL). It's comfortable, & fits me very well. I also have an Optima in it. You don't have to take it out, except to change the batteries every couple of years. I mounted mine w/good quality velcro. Almost forty jumps later, the audible hasn't budged @all. I mounted mine w/the screen facing my ear. You can easily see & change set altitudes. The thing is up to 120dBs loud. You'll hear it. The Benny is quiet in freefall (though I can only compare it w/tired DZ Protecs). I wear earplugs when I jump. Freefall is whisper quiet w/them :)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013A0C0Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d4_g60_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1NAMAYVK4RQRFHPZBQ8Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

I have a Benny and use an N3 for an audible. The helmet is ok. It's certainly nothing special. I wear glasses and with the N3 in it's not the most comfortable arrangement in the world. There are cutouts over each ear in the foam that you put the audible in and the pressure of the helmet against your head is what keeps in it place. If you have the money to do something better. You probably should. Maybe a different audible would have a lower profile. I dunno. I wear ear plugs as well. Surefire EP-4s.