pguyt

Is it possible to change handles without a reserve repack?

:)
Even the cables were trimmed the user/owner does not have the MFG. spec. to measure if the cables were trimmed to the right spec. per the mfg. / system / RSL / Skyhook / type of housing & so on.

Each Mfg. has its own process to put the cables in spec. RI, UPT, SPP, MIRAGE & others has different ways to do the process - it is NOT "ONE SIZE FITS ALL"

The BEST service you can do is to go to a Rigger for changing a cutaway handle including the whole process.

Today Skyhook h/c like Javelin the cable might go into the RIGHT SIDE RESERVE TOGGLE - there is a way to do that right to avoide that error.

V3 has the Black "Collins Lanyard Loop" or the GOLD/YELLOW "SPLIT RSL LANYARD".

For the reserve ripcord replacement- the only Legal & SAFE way is to go to the Rigger who I&R the system or go to a different Rigger for full I&R.

DO IT YOURSELF might cost you more in $$$ or your health / life !!!

Be Safe !!!

get patches of different colours on your jumpsuit/change your jumpsuit.

first version would be very cheap, and would not neet to involve a rigger.

And after that if you REALLY want to have your handles changed, you can wait for your next reserve repack...

(other version would be to chop-chop and ditch both handles)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The average jumper should stick to replacing rubberbands and closing loops.

Bullshit. You are wrong. Ski & Dave are right. Absolutely EVERY jumper should be fully capable, able, AND WILLING to do this (remove & replace their cut-away handles/cables) on their own gear that is in their charge (they own) - as this is also precisely absolutely nothing more as well than doing a MONTHLY (or supposed to be) required 3-ring maintenance procedure!

Your post is IMHO a sad testament, for "gear (knowledge) apathy" in our young jumpers and further perhaps even worse, a tacit statement of tolerance/acceptabce of/for it. [:/]

EDIT TO ADD: Please note I am ONLY speaking of/to the cutaway handle/pillow/cable portion of the OP's question here ONLY. And responding the Deyan's post that jumpers should NOT be "allowed" to do this. Removing (pulling/releasing) your cut-away, and being fully capable, able and willing to release your 3 rings, maintain them, then re-assemble them - is actually nothing more than simple routine maintenance - maintenance in fact, that is (by most mfr's - RTFM people!) REQUIRED. EVERY (responsible) gear owner rather, should be capable of doing this, and advocating anything differently, (or just "caving in" to tacit acceptance of "gear apathy") IMHO, is irresponsible.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I was thinking that I might like to change the handles on my rig to a different colour (currently dark red jumpsuit / red handles - would change to yellow). I was wondering if its possible to do this without releasing and repacking the reserve? I was thinking you could use something to hold the tension on the closing loop whilst you change the handles over.

I suppose I'll talk to a rigger about getting it done, but I would like your opinion as well.

Cutaway handle can be done by you, like stated already.

Do you have a pillow handle for your reserve? Have you given any thought to getting a D-ring for your reserve?

Cutaway handle can be done by you, like stated already.

Assuming, of course, that he knows how long to trim the cables on the replacement cutaway, and has the tools and skills to do the job. As stated already.

Mark

Trust me, I've seen this way too many times. The average jumper should stick to replacing rubberbands and closing loops.

The average jumper should be a rigger. Learning everything about their gear like their life depended on it.
take care,
space

I agree with you. The average jumper should know a lot more than what he knows now. Because now he know 10 ways to mount a Gopro, but he can't do a decent gear check.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Bullshit. You are wrong. Ski & Dave are right. Absolutely EVERY jumper should be fully capable, able, AND WILLING to do this (remove & replace,clean and reassemble their cut-away handles/cables) on their own gear that is in their charge (they own) - as this is also precisely absolutely nothing more as well than doing a MONTHLY (or supposed to be) required 3-ring maintenance procedure!

Sure...every jumper should be able to do that.
I hope you see the difference between REPLACE and REASSEMBLE.

Show me one manual where the manufacturer requires REPLACING the handle!

As already Shlomo said, the cutaway handles are not build "ONE SIZE FITS ALL"

And responding the Deyan's post that jumpers should NOT be "allowed" to do this.

Show me where I said that the jumper "should not be allowed"!

Like it or not, my statement stays....Replacing parts is a riggers job.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

In response to questions PMed about the pin follower, images attached.

01: The tool

02: The tool with pin inserted to show hollow end.

Cheers.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Got that from an old timey rigger. I thought they were a commonly known tool.

In a PM discussion I conceded a hollow temp pin would work just as well (but used differently), but it's not the same as using a tool that's designed for this purpose!

For a tight loop (20+ lbs, say) I would use the hollow pin as the follower would catch the loop.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Got that from an old timey rigger. I thought they were a commonly known tool.

In a PM discussion I conceded a hollow temp pin would work just as well (but used differently), but it's not the same as using a tool that's designed for this purpose!

For a tight loop (20+ lbs, say) I would use the hollow pin as the follower would catch the loop.

A hollow end pin will also catch the loop - it has a larger outside diameter than the ripcord pin, so there's a small ridge that the loop has to climb up and over.

I can't tell for sure from the photos, but that looks pretty much the same as a hollow end temp pin, except with a handle instead of a point. Am I missing something?

Something I've done a few times that worked not too badly is to thread a piece of seal cord through the loop below the pin, then use it to pull a pull-up cord through the loop. Now I can use the pull-up to take some tension off the ripcord pin/hollow pin - or even just remove the ripcord pin completely, then insert a normal temp pin.

I'm sure someone has an easier way to do this.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Something I've done a few times that worked not too badly is to thread a piece of seal cord through the loop below the pin, then use it to pull a pull-up cord through the loop. Now I can use the pull-up to take some tension off the ripcord pin/hollow pin - or even just remove the ripcord pin completely, then insert a normal temp pin.

I'm sure someone has an easier way to do this.

That's how I've done it too... An easier way would be nice though!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

An easier way would be nice though!

I learned from Dave DeWolf: use two pull-up cords around the pin, one on each side of the closing loop. Pull the pin up, put a temp in underneath it, pull the ripcord pin out. Repeat the process to put the new ripcord pin in.

Mark

A hollow end pin will also catch the loop - it has a larger outside diameter than the ripcord pin, so there's a small ridge that the loop has to climb up and over.

The hollow pin has a pointy end!

Use the pullup cord, remove the closing pin and insert the temp pin. ;)

The hollow pin has a pointy end!

Use the pullup cord, remove the closing pin and insert the temp pin. ;)

Ah, gotcha! I had thought you were referring to using the hollow pin as - well, you know - a hollow pin! ;) As in: put it over the ripcord pin, then slide the ripcord pin out/the hollow pin in (the reverse of how it's normally used). I Didn't realize you meant to use it as a normal temp pin; got it now!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

The average jumper should stick to replacing rubberbands and closing loops.

EVERY (responsible) gear owner rather, should be capable of doing this, and advocating anything differently, (or just "caving in" to tacit acceptance of "gear apathy") IMHO, is irresponsible.

I too thing that Deyan has gone to far...
IMHO, average jumpers must lay their canopies down in the pack area and for the sake of this sport and business, they MUST let packers and/or riggers take care of it. :P

No Drogue, no JUMP!!