Wings-n-Things

Container options, why/why not

It's been a long time since I bought a new container and there are a lot of new options to be had. My question is why or why not get a particular option?
Such as;
Hip rings
Cut-in laterals

I also have an interest in wingsuiting. Would any of these options be an advantage or disadvantage in wingsuiting?

Thanks.
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

Hip rings gives you more movement and a more comfortable rig, same with cut in laterals.

Chest rings are good if you like to wear your rig tight, but pointless if you like a loose fit.

I think thin chest straps are more comfortable, but opinions vary.

Definitely get a hook knife, and just search RSL here and you'll find an abundance of debates about them, but really, they are an inexpensive way of making a rig safer. The Skyhook is especially good, it's not just a great safety device, it also makes your freebag land along with your main. Bonus! ;)

The Aerodyne Smart is a really good reserve, it's so easy to fly and land that you'll think you're flying a main. But new reserve models are very good, I haven't tried the PD Optimum, but I hear it's good too.

None of the options that you mention makes the rig unfit for wingsuiting. strictly speaking, you should use a longer PC bridle for wingsuit, and BOC is the best option, but everyone orders BOC these days anyway.

Cool colors is of course a must, you can post here for free expert advice! ;)

Congratulations on new gear!

B|

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I suggest you go try on a rig with these options at your local DZ. You should be able to find one fairly easily since they are very common options, and standard on some rigs.

The hip rings give you more flexibility in the rig at the leg strap junction and to me make the rig much more comfortable. I personnally don't like chest rings I think thats a few too many wear points and actually is to flexible. But that's personal preference.

Cut in laterals make the harness conform more to your body and let the main container 'float' or set off the harness. The lateral harness to legstrap is geometry and position is no longer dictated by the corner of the container.

I'll let someone chime in on cut in laterals and wing suits.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I suggest you go try on a rig with these options at your local DZ. You should be able to find one fairly easily since they are very common options, and standard on some rigs.

The hip rings give you more flexibility in the rig at the leg strap junction and to me make the rig much more comfortable. I personnally don't like chest rings I think thats a few too many wear points and actually is to flexible. But that's personal preference.

Cut in laterals make the harness conform more to your body and let the main container 'float' or set off the harness. The lateral harness to legstrap is geometry and position is no longer dictated by the corner of the container.

I'll let someone chime in on cut in laterals and wing suits.

OK, thanks! From the sound of it I'd probably like the hip rings but not the cut-in lats. Just a hunch though.

Cool colors is of course a must, you can post here for free expert advice! ;)
B|

Thanks for your input... cool colors you say? Here's my design.;)
http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Gear/_High_Man_Celtic_Mirage_Design_118691.html

ooo purdy! if you dont mind me asking, how much is all that celtic stitchin' gonna cost you?

No clue. I doubt however that I'll drop the bucks to get that. I really just want a comfortable and safe rig to jump. Colors are a lower priority.

I recommend chest rings for wingsuiting; it allows for a tighter fit, and this reduces wear on the wingsuit. I've got 3-4 wingsuits damaged at the front zip due to loose chest straps.
Cut-in laterals are very nice; if you jump a larger rig (say, a 150 main or larger) then cut-ins are fine. If you jump a tiny rig that doesn't span your back, then cut-ins are problematic as the laterals will hit your wingsuit's back zips and eventually damage them.
Vented backs are really nice; when it's 110 outside and you're wearing a wingsuit, you'll be super glad for the vents.

Hi Things,

I was out to the local dz about a week ago and happened to notice a number of rigs with Spacer padding in which it simply was not holding up very well. I saw a fair amount of fraying on the Spacer.

This leads me to think that it does not take wear & tear very well; also known as durability.

Just something to think about; it will be your decision,

JerryBaumchen

spacer foam holds up well if you don't drag the rig while packing.

Gordo, I suspect some spacer foams are mo' bettah built than others. Voodoos hold up well in the dirt of Elsinore, and they're sometimes dragged due to the stowless bags.
Mine seem thicker than most of em' that I've seen, too.

On Infinity containers for wingsuiters, we don't recommend our floating laterals, but articulation is just fine. Hip articulation is the standard articulation, but we can do chest rings by request.

On new orders, we provide a chest mounted hook knife and long "birdman" bridle at no extra charge.

Happy Shopping!