Deyan

Another Argus SB

well crap...the cutter on the one I just got is July '07. >:(
I didn't understand all of the acronyms at the end there though. Will they cover the cost of the replacement cutter, or do I just buy a new one from Chuting Star or elsewhere?

Find your peace, though the world around you burns

While this is a brand new bulletin, SB AMMO050811, it is in effect the 5th version of the original cutter bulletin AMMO050910.

To try to keep the story straight, here's a quick chronology of the cutter bulletins, to the best of my knowledge, modified from something I just wrote in another thread:

In version 1 of the recall bulletin (SB AMMO050910, a.k.a. AMMO050910/1) in Apri '10 only a particular 2007 batch of cutters were recalled.

In version 2 (... /2) in Sept '10 all the early cutters, Aug '07 or earlier, had to replaced by the end of the year at the latest.

In version 3 in Dec '10 the recall timing was extended so it didn't have to be done until the first repack after 31 March 2011.

In version 4 in April '11, the rules changed to
a) replacement at next repack if cutter above PC
b) no need for replacement if below the PC.

In that version 4, Aviacom wrote that due to "extensive tests", those early (Aug 07 or earlier) cutters "have shown no lack of performance."

Thus Aviacom was still implying that absolutely nothing was wrong with their cutters.

And now in the brand new bulletin, SB AMMO050811, all the old style cutters are to be replaced before the next jump.

Looks like you might need to buy a new one since it does not call out the free replacement. This is now confirmed to be a free replacement! I had heard a few weeks ago there were low numbers of cutters in some dealers hands so if you need one call soon to get one.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

it must have been distributed to :

EAll dealers and owners/customers for whom addresses are on file.
• EPIA Technical Committee
• IPC Technical Committee
• EAll parachuting periodicals
• ENational Aero Clubs-Parachuting sections

Some of the above are not necessarily very fast to relay information. [:/]

Some of the above do not necessarily have YOUR valid email address to forward the info to you

Weird that it is not at least on their website
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I spoke to William about this bulletin a few days ago, he assured me there would be enough cutters and that they would be replaced free of charge.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I spoke to William about this bulletin a few days ago, he assured me there would be enough cutters and that they would be replaced free of charge.

Heard the same from Laura at Chuting star, they have them on hand now and ready to ship out the same day, no charge...glad that issue was resolved, I was not looking forward to dropping another 200+ on a cutter 3 days after my unit arrived in the mail

I do believe so, going off of what I found at chuting star ($225- argus replacement cutter)

Actually only 1.25 Cypres Cutters ($180), semantics, regardless

However, in the world of aads (and I may be speaking out of turn here, I don't know the specifics of Vigil or Cypres) there's never a reason you should have to pay for a cutter. If it fires, fill out an incident report/testimonial and Argus sends you one for free, or if an SB negates your current one, send it in and they will replace it for free as well.

I research skydiving-related things A LOT lol, mostly in an attempt to pass the time when I'm saving up for my next trip to the DZ. My knowledge isn't based on first hand experience of an aad activation though if that's what you meant.

*knocks on wood