tsalnukt

woolite and canopies

Any one ever wash a canopy with water and a cap full of woolite??? I've seen where they say to use a mild soap and water. Is woolite mild??

Woolite is generally used to wash very delicate clothing so yes, it's mild, or gentle.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Any one ever wash a canopy with water and a cap full of woolite??? I've seen where they say to use a mild soap and water. Is woolite mild??

What are you trying to wash? The whole thing, or a spot? What is the stain from?

ETA: Oh, and why?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

AFAIK - pure (i.e. non-perfumed) naptha (sp?) or Alkyl Naphthalene Sulfonate (ANS) as it is a non-corrosive, actually textile dyeing BASE that was probably even used in the very MFR of the canopy fabric in the 1st place itself, is the only commercially-available approved cleaning agent approved by the major canopy MFR's.

This is at least in my experience "around & about" / in my travels, what I have anecdotally heard anyway. I don't know directly, so ... you may want to just check directly with the canopy mfr themselves. They should be able to best direct/advise you.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I did it twice and I have also washed a bunch of pilot chutes with great results. They smell good after and the process has apparently no effect in porosity. The major concern would be with the reinforcement tapes. Some say they may not return to the original size and thus distort the construction. The canopies I washed had no lines and flew great with the new lineset later. I would never do this with a high performance or low porosity (F-111) main. Keep in mind that handling in water may loosen up some of the stitches specially if the canopy is old and well-worn (very likely if you're thinking about washing it).

Just in case someone asks: No, I do not recommend doing this.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

F111 or ZP? I'd be more worried about increasing the permeability of uncoated fabric by distressing it with too much agitation or brushing. And any use of detergent warrants adequate dillution and thorough rinsing.

AFAIK - pure (i.e. non-perfumed) naptha (sp?) or Alkyl Naphthalene Sulfonate (ANS) as it is a non-corrosive, actually textile dyeing BASE that was probably even used in the very MFR of the canopy fabric in the 1st place itself, is the only commercially-available approved cleaning agent approved by the major canopy MFR's.

These solvents won't work on all stains. On something like a soft-drink spill, a water-based solution will be more affective yet still inert.

The woolite of today is not the woolite of 30 years ago. It is now a detergent just like all the rest of the stuff going in your washer. I doubt that anybody had paid particular attention to that fact or really tested the new stuff. For that matter I doubt the old stuff was ever tested other than by field use because it sounded good.;)

And Ivory flakes, the other default which was nothing but soap, is no longer available. Of course ivory cakes and your kitchen grater are available.

I washed a main in a washing machine once.;) White stratocloud with maybe 700 jumps on it. Front load washer, 1982 woolite. Worked really well.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

Unless of course it's a 1970's stratocloud.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE