PhreeZone

Argus failure - Gold Goast MS - USA

well, i honestly dont believe aviacom is responsible for world hunger..

i do jump a micron, so the locked container would be very much an issue for me. if i let my AAD fire going through harddeck, i'm a dumb ass, i agree. but if it does fire and does nothing but lock my reserve in place, and in those last 4.5 seconds of my life, i'd be VERY pissed.

besides all that, aviacom did the worst possible of all outcomes when it comes to communication, i also agree on that.

now, fast forward to today, and if you're jumping an argus, you gotta make darn sure to call your rigger right away just for the chance of getting one of the new cutters. so if you're a little late.. big fucking fail from aviacom again; it never seems to stop!

and exactly THAT is what i'm even MORE pissed about. :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

if it does fire and does nothing but lock my reserve in place, and in those last 4.5 seconds of my life, i'd be VERY pissed.

<...>

now, fast forward to today, and if you're jumping an argus, you gotta make darn sure to call your rigger right away just for the chance of getting one of the new cutters.

I couldn't care less if my container is locked or not 3.5 - 4.0 seconds before impact, I'm dead anyway.

Secondly, you're implying there is a major shortage in replacement cutters, how did you get that information, since Aviacom themselves state there are enough cutters available?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

For the "locked container issue" to be dangerous... ...I somehow didn't do anything, while being going through my harddeck, then waited some time more, then aprox. 4,5 seconds before impact, my AAD would fire, after which I decide to finally do something. I just don't see that happening.

Indeed. As I do not see highly likely either.

However, a more likely scenario (that is not covered by what you post - and is actually of a much more valid concern) is:

- The cutter fires on a PREVIOUS jump (by error or design notwithstanding), but it does not completely cut the loop - instead trapping it, and effectively locking the reserve container shut.

- On a SUBSEQUENT jump, the jumper experiences a malfunction, and APPROPRIATELY cuts-away and pulls their reserve handle. - THEY ARE SCREWED :o

We are told to "set & forget" our AAD's at the beginning of each jumping day. The above presumes that of course too, you are not necessarily checking your AAD prior to each and every jump. And in actual practice and reality - how many of us actually are?

EDITED TO ADD: That is what makes this just a bit more crucial in some ways (and maybe a part of what is stirring all the excess "emotions"?) than just an otherwise "routine" (for lack of better word - one in any case that DOES completely cut the closing loop in comparison) erroneous misfire. FWIW.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

i'd rather have my AAD fire and CUT my loop when i dont want it to, than to have it fire, without me noticing, AND locking my reserve when i MAY need it..

but YMMV..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

We are told to "set & forget" our AAD's at the beginning of each jumping day. The above presumes that of course too, you are not necessarily checking your AAD prior to each and every jump. And in actual practice and reality - how many of us actually are?

Well "the set and forget" is as far as I know only applicable for the cypres. In the case of Argus this is not the case. It's simply a question of RTFM. Argus has always made it very clear that they want you to check the display before every jump. (This has also always been in the manual).

So I hope every Argus user has done that in the past also.... (But through, it reminds me of skydivers which use a Swift 5 reserve and don't know not to release the steering brakes before the slider has come down.)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

We highly disagree. If an AAD fires when I'm head down, my AAD has just killed me. When my AAD fires when I'm doing FS and someone (e.g. the cameraguy) is above the formation, I just killed someone else (and highly unlikely that I will survive myself. If I'm exiting and my AAD fires, I just killed everyone in the plane.