Chris-Ottawa

What "should" my Argus say when it's "ready"?

So, I recently equipped both of my rigs (Mirage/Wings) with an Argus. Everything is fine, I understand the reasons why they were banned, and I am confident enough in the product that I have no issues jumping it. Anyways, that's not what this is about.

I hadn't actually noticed this until yesterday as I guess I never really thought much about what the screens show on each unit. They both just went to a screen that looked correct to me and I never looked at them side by side. My question is to determine which screen, or maybe both are OK, or is one indicating something to me that I should be concerned with.

1) Completes startup sequence and indicates "STANDARD" (The mode it's in)

2) Completes startup and goes to a screen indicating what I believe is the detected altitude (ft) and descent rate or offset (I can't recall what the measurement is, maybe m/s, indicating descent). Both read 0 on the ground

I don't believe that either of these screens are incorrect, but I haven't seen much info on it and while I didn't look incredibly hard, I didn't see an option to switch it either.

Any ideas?
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I just recieved a PM from the same person at Aviacom that QA'd this specific unit (when it was new), and he very promptly gave me the resolution. It was somehow set in a "logging" mode, or "diagnostic" mode which I guess the owner prior to me had set it to?

I'm sharing it so if anyone sees this on theirs, they can resolve it quickly.

To put it back to normal, do the following:
"Menu (click) - Info (click) - Jump (click)- Info Level (click)" and it should diplay " 1 ", wait for an arrow down, press the button once till " 0 " is displayed; press the button once when "Valdate", and afterwards "Confirm" is displayed.

What a stupid comment to make, why did you even bother posting? Clearly, you know all the details surrounding the incidents and the thoughts of Aviacom and the other interested patries, right? How about you just keep our mouth shut as this has nothing to do with anything else.

The unit wasn't purchased new, so it wasn't Aviacom's fault. I purchased it from someone in Australia, used. So, why don't I give you his email and you can tell him that he fucked up and was trying to hide something.

Go read some more posts in the forums and take another unfounded stance on something else...

Hereunder is the full answer I gave to Chris.

Your Argus displaying "STANDARD" is OK.

The other is in a particular mode used for technical purpose (variometer and speed) and is in "Info Level 1" due to a manipulation in the different "menus" (playing around ?).
Press the button rapidly twice :
"Menu (click) - Info (click) - Jump (click)- Info Level (click)" and it should diplay " 1 ", wait for an arrow down, press the button once till " 0 " is displayed; press the button once when "Valdate", and afterwards "Confirm" is displayed.
Let the scrolling of different messages, and after it has gone 3 times through the different messages (+/- 1 minute), the selected mode will than be displayed.

What is that Aviacom "screwed again ?" !
I answered "personnaly".
The particular display occurs when an "end-user" plays in the different "menus" of the device.

As far as I could tell, I used it in that configuration for all the jumps I did on it, but truthfully, I have no idea if it would have fired.

I expect it would, simply based on the fact that it's likely used to verify that the device reads the same pressure as a test chamber.

Brings up a good question though, maybe Willem could confirm?

"I just recieved a PM from the same person at Aviacom that QA'd this specific unit, and he very promptly gave me the resolution. It was somehow set in a "logging" mode, or "diagnostic" mode.

I'm sharing it so if anyone sees this on theirs, they can resolve it quickly.

My comments were made because of what YOU posted, friend(?). From your wording of your last post. It sounds like the factory released the unit improperly configured. Then, they sent you a PM, rather than post a technical issue in the open. You then re-posted here (as it should have been the first time) so others could learn from it.

If I missed something, Chris. It's because you didn't relay it. I've been around this board long enough that people know I'm not a phony w/a not-so-secret agenda. As for my not liking/trusting Aviacom w/my life being unfounded? I've got a lot of very experienced company in that. You can share your PAs w/them, too...

I can see how that could have been read, but at the same time, I didn't say, "I just recieved my new Argus from Aviacom and the configured it incorrectly and tried to hide it when I posted it on dz.com".

I simply stated that the person who QA'd this product (when it was new) replied directly to my question. I found that nice to see that the company was on the forums and took the time to answer my question, that is all.

But thanks for clarifying before bringing out your personal opinions!

Aviacom's piss poor track record is well-known. IMHO (& many others), it's indefensible. You got yourselves banned. I didn't do it to you.

In this instance, a technical problem was brought to your attention. Rather than answering it here, out in the open. You chose to PM the user. From the user's original post about this. It appeared that YOU signed off on a unit, & shipped it out as being ready & safe to jump. He, & we, still don't know if it even was still active. His followup reply gave more info, clearing that part of it up. For that part, I retract what I typed. I remain thoroughly unsatisfied w/Aviacom's products & practices. I will never trust my life to an Argus. Nor will many, many jumpers w/thousands of jumps a piece. Don't get testy w/me because you work for them. If you're honest, & just trying to make a living? I feel bad for you. If you condone their business practices? You made your own bed. You can lie in it.

The devices are not shipped to the dealers in this configuration (= In Info Level 1).
I will not go in explaining the differents processes before shipping, but the last things are:
- Starting the device,
- Looking at the startup sequence,
- The "mode" of working (STANDARD) when the sequence is completed.

Again, an "end-user" can end up in this configuration (Info Level 1) by going in the different "menus".

Yes, they seem to be posted on the net.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by hijacking my thread?

This has been my first chance to communicate with the author of the papers. All other attempts have been met with silence. Sorry to have used your thread but I did wait until you receive an answer to your question.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>So, Aviacom screwed up again, & tried to hide it (again)? What a surprise...

No, they sent a customer of theirs information how to reset a diagnostic mode that someone else put the device into. This is an example of good customer service, not a screwup.

>It sounds like the factory released the unit improperly configured.

From the original poster:

"It was somehow set in a "logging" mode, or "diagnostic" mode which I guess the owner prior to me had set it to"

Hey Bill,

Just to be upfront, I added "which I guess the previous owner set it in" for clarity, after his unnecessary comment to prevent further accusations.

In the original post I will say that the wording may have been unclear as to whether I purchased the unit new and it came like this or not. Either way, the accusation that was made was completely uncalled for and inappropriate. In either mode, there was nothing "wrong" with the unit, even if it had come from the factory in this fashion.

Thanks!