kawisixer01

Stiletto or Pilot? for canopy #2

So I've been flying a spectre 170 for a few years since I got licensed. I really love the canopy and even some of the ribbing I get for having a big ol seven cell. But I have really started jumping more and more actively each year. This year I find my landing accuracy phenominal and feel really really bored flying my canopy. I'm just under 185 pounds with gear out the door. I've jumped a buddies stiletto 150 a bunch of times and am also considering the pilot as well. I like the nice smooth (almost too long) openings of the spectre and how I can occasionally get away with a little sloppy packing in a hurry without much worry of getting slammed. But I also have worked on so much canopy stuff that I find myself feeling like I've gone about as far skills wise as I can with this canopy. I don't want to be a hardcore swooper or anything, just want something a lot more spirited to fly, something smaller and easier to pack, and something I can have a little more spirited landings on. I don't want something I have to pack super perfectly every time or else I will get slammed. Has anyone flown both canopies that can offer good feedback of the two canopies and maybe another I'm not considering? I realize this like asking what the best flavor of ice cream (chocolate duh!) is or something and that everyone has a little brand loyalty and such...but...hopefully I can get some good insight. Thanks!

Do you enjoy those Spectre openings?

Maybe you should demo a Storm, I like to refer to that canopy as a 7-cell Sabre2 in terms of how it flies. However, it opens so very nicely that there is a reason it has quickly become such a popular canopy.

Beyond that, demo a Pilot as well. If I was going to buy a Pilot, I would buy a Sabre2 because I like how the Sabre2 flares when compared to the Pilot. Having put a goodly number of jumps on a Stiletto, I don't think you'll like the openings after spending your past under a Spectre. They're not bad, but they can get "sporty."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's said alot on here, but demo what you can (10 jumps/canopy is a demo benchmark imo).
Like Dave mentioned the PD storm is worth a good look but i have no personal experience myself but everyone that i've met that jumps one loves them.
9 cells i wouldn't rule out the Icarus Safires mk1 or 2 they're both good.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.