nt8us

do you charge a storage fee?

i have 5 pilot emergency chutes that were dropped off over 7 weeks for repack. as of yet, i am still waiting for the customer to pick them up.( usually rigs don't sit here for more than a week. ) so i was wondering should i charge a storage fee to discourage this behavior?i am kinda tired of moving these around as my shop has limitd space.

I have a rig that has been in my loft for 4 months and the owner has been contacted multiple times. I am telling the customer that there is no fee this time but if it happens again there will be a fee. On the other hand I have a rig that has sat around for two plus years that the owner finally told me to just sell and be done with it and take my fees out of that price.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What might be worse than shuffling around the rigs is being out the cash from 5 pack jobs. I might be tempted to charge a late payment fee on that basis.

The problem with charging any of those fees is that if you don't disclose the fees upfront, people could rightly complain that it's unfair. One solution is that you provide every customer with a 'work order' when they drop off anything. Detail the items being dropped off and the work being requested, so there's never any question as to what you have and why you have it. Include language on the bottom that states the 'grace period' for storing equipment, and the fees beyond that. You might even have an 'end date', where you sell the equipment, subtract your rigging, storage, and selling fees, and the customer gets the rest.

You print your own forms from online templates, or just print your info onto a two-part form from Office Max and pen in the details such as the date, gear, and work required.

On the one hand, rigging can be looked at as a 'relaxed' business between skydivers or pilots, but on the other hand you're dealing with equipment valued anywhere from $1000 to $10,000. If you have a non-payment or other dispute with a customer, you may end up holding their gear as collateral, and in that sense, paperwork is a good thing.

I recommend adding verbiage to your work order that states a storage fee, AND reminds them there is no grace period for repack dates.

I've seriously had to deal with skydivers who drop off for a repack, leave their rigs in a loft all winter, and when they pick them up in the spring can't figure out why they either only have a month or two till it's due or they have been charged for a second repack.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Morning Michael..

I've always been curious as to riggers who have skydiver's just come in throw down their rigs with the "See ya Friday" thing and that's it. You are right that it is a business. Riggers should not only have a check-box of what is to be performed and check/initial those boxes upon completion for the skydiver; but should also have a "Terms & Conditions" clause at the bottom or back of the Work Order requiring a skydiver's signature.

1. In this instance, storage fees if > than X days.
2. Statutory limits - Thirty days is the average, some local laws may allow more time. Nonetheless, ownership of abandoned personal property transfers to the owner of the storage facility after that date. They can then dispose of the property as they see fit - sell, auction, etc.
3. Concurrently; do riggers maintain additional liability insurance if their place of business has a fire, flooding, etc.

Cause you know the guy that left it there for six months when he was supposed to pick it up the following week... will be the biggest pisser when the loft catches fire and his rig that should have been long gone is now in ashes.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have called them (actually several members of the club)4 times, been promised that they were coming "next weekend " for them twice now.

Charge them for your hour or two that you could've been doing other things than sitting and waiting for them to no show.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Are these sailplane pilots, by chance? If so, the owner wanted to have them ready in plenty of time for some event or competition he plans to attend and he'll contact you. I've had sailplane pilots do that with me.
I have large plastic storage boxes that hold two to three pilot rigs that I keep under my table, out of the way. I'm sure, you want your money for your work but from what you've told me, looks like patience is the operative word. Also, he isn't just going to leave 5 PEPS and walk-off.

Chuck

yes they are a sailplane club. but when they were dropped off i was told they would be back in 2 weeks for them.when no one showed up ,i called and was told they would come by for them "next weekend". when they didnt show up the second time , i called them again and was told the same thing.it has been an ongoing thing now for last several weeks.

I've never had to use it, or even consider using it, but I put it there at the bottom of the drop-off receipt:

Prices subject to change. Equipment left with the Rigger for inspection, repack, repair, maintenance, cleaning or any other rigging work, may be stored up to 45 days after the date of completion of work (Grace Period). If the equipment is not claimed within the Grace Period, a storage fee of $15 per month will be added to the invoice total on the first day following the Grace Period and on the first day of every calendar month following the Grace Period. If the equipment is not claimed within 24 months following the Grace Period, the equipment shall and will be disposed of at the sole discretion of the Rigger. Equipment stored or left unclaimed with the Rigger is done so with the understanding that the Rigger makes reasonable efforts and takes reasonable precautions to ensure the safekeeping, cleanliness and integrity of the equipment, but makes no guarantee of the safekeeping of said equipment.

FWIW
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

You've gone out of your way for the guy. I'd say, hang on to them... he'll be back for them. Also, there have been some good suggestions given here as to handling this. Also, you could shoot yourself in the foot if you handle this wrong. Good luck to you.

Chuck

What the rigger has done is enter into a "bailment" agreement with the owner of the rig. And it can get sticky depending on the laws in your area.

Sparky

http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/bailment/

The page you mention discusses situations where there is no work being done to the goods - safety deposit boxes, parking garages and stuff like that.

Conspicuously absent are auto service stations or car dealers, where the goods were there for the purpose of service, not for the purpose of storage.

Now, they do mention boarding kennels, as for pets. But I don't know if that is like or not like a service station.

So, lawyers out there, is deliberate storage of goods different from goods left for service and then left unclaimed?

It mentions "bailments for hire", "constructive bailment" and "gratuitous bailment". Here is an easier definition for those that ride the short bus.

The transfer of possession of something (by the bailor) to another person (called the bailee) for some temporary purpose (eg. repair or storage) after which the property is either returned to the bailor or otherwise disposed of in accordance with the contract of bailment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Funny that you mention this as only yesterday a jumper on my DZ told me that the rigger on a large DZ in Belgium where he jumps now and then has no less than seven (7!) skydiving rigs in his loft that were never reclaimed after being dropped for a repack / inspection.

Supposedly all of those rigs are there already more than a year, some several years.

Though this is rumour / hearsay of course, it still makes you wonder what peoples priorities are when they decide they want to become skydivers...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

It mentions "bailments for hire", "constructive bailment" and "gratuitous bailment". Here is an easier definition for those that ride the short bus.

The transfer of possession of something (by the bailor) to another person (called the bailee) for some temporary purpose (eg. repair or storage) after which the property is either returned to the bailor or otherwise disposed of in accordance with the contract of bailment.

Sparky

I was only kidding Paul.;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In the automotive industry I have to deal with this sort of BS all the time. I've had sports cars sit in the shop waiting for payment all winter. Co-incidence? First sunny day in the spring they show up to collect the car and pay the bill. In your case they will show up the week before it's needed.

Ultimately the best way to deal with it properly is clear communication. Call the guys and explain that you don't have the space to store the rigs, you need them picked up within the next X days/weeks etc or you will have to liquidate them. That's realistic. Just tacking a bill on it when they show up is likely to solve the problem by encouraging them to go elsewhere.

-Michael