shah269

What can I do and can't do?

Yep. Here is a pic of the finished product :)

Wow that is NICE!
I'll talk to my rigger and see if he has the free time and how much.

OK so you buy it as it and have to live with it.
Ok cool. So when I buy my next set of equipment I know.
Cool.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

You have a serious case of selective reading....

As a few of us have tried to tell you:
Option 1: you live with it
Option 2: you take it to a rigger and get them to do the mod/repair. That's what they do.
Option 3: get your own Riggers ticket and do it yourself
Remster

Yeah, to make life easy what you see is what you get.
Getting things added will require professional adjustment.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Who knows how it may have during its tenure with you, been jury-rigged!

...Not that there's anything wrong with rigging a jury... :)

There isn't even anything wrong with rigging a Jerry or even a Gerry...but the jury is in. Not a good idea to buy used gear from Shah.:D

Rem, I believe the bungies referred to are freefly bungies? Those may be changed by a rig owner; they're not stitched/attached to the harness, nor part of the container/deployment system (At least on my rigs; they're tied to tabs sewn into legstrap padding).

Who knows how it may have during its tenure with you, been jury-rigged!

...Not that there's anything wrong with rigging a jury... :)

There isn't even anything wrong with rigging a Jerry or even a Gerry...but the jury is in. Not a good idea to buy used gear from Shah.:D

Rem, I believe the bungies referred to are freefly bungies? Those may be changed by a rig owner; they're not stitched/attached to the harness, nor part of the container/deployment system (At least on my rigs; they're tied to tabs sewn into legstrap padding).

Spot: I was making the distinction between elastics (that's what those pesky brits and chouisses call bungees) found on the main DBag as opposed to the ones found on some reserve freebags (also since the Racer, as far as I remember, uses an actual bungee, no?). But yeah, the butt-pinch bungee is free game.
Remster

If you sew on your harness with 15 pound fishing wire, you will be the last person who ever sews on that harness, because every licensed rigger will refuse to repack your reserve after that.

This reminds me of a incident - when I worked at Rigging Innovations (aka. the Talon factory). Another rigger brought in a Talon that had all of the binding tape re-dyed black - with shoe dye!
Sandy Reid replied: "Since we do not know what chemicals were in - that brand of shoe dye - that rig was never here. We never saw it. We never heard about it. We will not do any repairs on that old Talon. We will not do any modifications to that old Talon. We will not do any updates to that old Talon. That old Talon was never here."

Or, you call the still-in-business factory, and order a new set of legstrap pads. Include your serial number, and tell them what color you want and how much padding. Wait two/three weeks, and have your rigger install them on your harness.

Problem solved with factory components. It's done, and done right, and the rig doesn't look like it was built in someones basement.

Don't try to engineer your gear. That's someone else's job and your life on the line. Study and become a rigger, and rig for as long as it took to get through engineering school, THEN you can engineer your own gear.

[sarcasm on] Save yourself some time and forget about sewing anything. Go to Auto Zone and get 2 of those fake sheep skin seatbelt covers and slide them over your legstraps, problem solved.:D [sarcasm off]

Just asking to clarify (since your sarcasm switch makes it unclear): would this be okay for an owner to do (i.e., sliping something over the strap, rather than attaching it some way)?

sorry shah you arent supposed to even touch your rig for any kind of alterations or additions or repairs.

IIRC not even a senior rigger could do it. Only a master rigger can make gear modifications. Last time, I just needed a couple of stitches on a leg pad & the senior rigger said he wouldnt/couldnt do it & I had to wait for the master rigger to do it.

I said you should let the master rigger do it. I could've, but my sewing machine is in my apt, not the dz loft. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

[sarcasm on] Save yourself some time and forget about sewing anything. Go to Auto Zone and get 2 of those fake sheep skin seatbelt covers and slide them over your legstraps, problem solved.:D [sarcasm off]

Just asking to clarify (since your sarcasm switch makes it unclear): would this be okay for an owner to do (i.e., sliping something over the strap, rather than attaching it some way)?

Yes, that would be fine. UPT sells leg covers for people who swoop or just slide in their landings to protect their leg straps from dirt/ grime & wear and tear. $20 for a pair

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=371113851148&set=a.188825226148.128358.64761516148&type=1&theater
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Get some 1000 denier cordura and cut strips about 1” wider than your leg strap. Cut the strips about 1” longer than the existing leg pad. Get some thin high density form and cut strips the same width as the cordura and about 1” shorter. Take the strips of cordura and stitch each end over about 3/16 of an inch. Stack a piece of cordura; finish side up, a piece of the foam and a piece of cordura finished side down. Run a stitch line down each side back stitching at each end. Turn the whole thing inside out and slide them over your led straps. It does not alter or modify anything and just like putting an altimeter over you chest strap.
Use type “E” and 9 to 11 stitches per inch.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Use type “E” and 9 to 11 stitches per inch.

Ya sure he shouldn't use the fishing line? :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Ok ok....wow guys breathe!
If adding a padding to the cover of the leg straps is a no no than ok cool.
I'll just keep rocking the padded shorts, no worries.
I was just asking.

Oy engineer boy, why not THINK.
instead of SEWing to your HC why not make a padded SLEEVE to slide over your leg straps, making sure it does not interfere with the buckles or haness.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was just asking.

instead of SEWing to your HC why not make a padded SLEEVE to slide over your leg straps, making sure it does not interfere with the buckles or haness.

Check it out. ;)

Sparky

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4163513#4163513

Bro, check out za linkz!
And yes that was my plan. To create a sleeve.
Sorry if it came off wrong.
But now that I know....can we say sheep skin! Oh baby!
Black sheep skin you know to make it just that much more erotic! :o

I was just asking.

Ya bought it ugly...jump it ugly! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

its surprising that base jumpers survive at all considering the lack of FAA regulation and boy scout badge hierarchy

@remster: I believe to remember that anyone can perform any job of any rigger under the supervision of said rigger (of course only for jobs for which said rigger is rated and as far as i remember supervision is not really defined)..i really don't fucking care to dig into the legalese though....man made trifle

as far as i remember supervision is not really defined)..i really don't fucking care to dig into the legalese though....man made trifle

If you don’t what it is you are talking about why bring it up?

Sparky

Direct Supervision means that a certificated rigger personally observes a non-certificated person packing a main parachute to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly, and takes responsibility for that packing.

Source: Part 105