shah269

What can I do and can't do?

What can I do and can't do to my container?
What requires a rigger, a master rigger and what modifications can I just do myself?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

you can bring it to your rigger... and back...

you can unconnect and reconnect your 3 rings, change bungies, change/adapt length of your main closing loop. You can manufacture your main closing loop, unconnect/reconnect your main canopy from risers and Dbag.

you cannot sew stuff to your rig, paint it/dye it, do repairs/alterations to certificated components

there might be some errors/stuff missing in what I wrote.

what would you want to do ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'm jumping a Talon 1 that has ZERO padding on the leg straps.
I know how to sow and would like to incorporate a bit of padding to the leg straps.

*and just to get the pissing match going*
I have a bag of neodymium magnets, and a hot glue gun and I wish to make my parachute totally dependent on these sexy magnets and to give people with pace makers heart attacks :P

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

For adding padding to the leg strap?
Well I have a sewing machine and was going to use 15lb test fishing wire, with a medium straight stitch.
I was going to simply pick up some material, cut up some form fitting foam, create a pocket, inset foam and attach said "pillow" to existing leg strap covers.
The alteration will not be an addition or a modification of form fit nor function and will not a modification to the container nor the harness.

Now the magnets I intend to utilize to keep my flaps from flapping in the wind....different story. Actually that one I will speak to and hire a rigger for due to modification of form fit and function.

Well I have a sewing machine and was going to use 15lb test fishing wire, with a medium straight stitch.
I was going to simply pick up some material, cut up some form fitting foam, create a pocket, inset foam and attach said "pillow" to existing leg strap covers.
The alteration will not be an addition or a modification of form fit nor function and will not a modification to the container nor the harness.

Now the magnets I intend to utilize to keep my flaps from flapping in the wind....different story. Actually that one I will speak to and hire a rigger for due to modification of form fit and function.

I dont think there are any regulations about modifying a jumpsuit.

If you are going to take on a sewing project, why not sew additional padding into the crotch/thigh area of your jumpsuit. You can achieve more comfort without having to pay a rigger to modify your legstraps.
__

My mighty steed

Forgive the digression, but you really should consider getting your rigger's ticket, not necessarily to be able work on other people's rigs, but mainly for your own edification. From your posting history, you, as a novice jumper, clearly have a great deal of curiosity and (potentially) innovative thought about the sport, and about gear; and the engineer in you obviously is inclined to take the hands-on approach. Not only do I think you'd find it gratifying, but I predict that as your skydiving career progresses you'll find it frustrating not being trained and certified as a rigger. Go for it.

sorry shah you arent supposed to even touch your rig for any kind of alterations or additions or repairs.

IIRC not even a senior rigger could do it. Only a master rigger can make gear modifications. Last time, I just needed a couple of stitches on a leg pad & the senior rigger said he wouldnt/couldnt do it & I had to wait for the master rigger to do it.

Andy9o8
Yeah I will look into it.
But at the moment I see you guys with your modern padded leg straps and I think...."My thighs need loving too!"
At the moment I'm wearing a pair of padded shorts by Alpine Star that work quite well and are rather flattering according to the girls at manifest.
Just wasn't sure if I was allowed to simply add additional padding to my leg straps without having to pay a rigger to do so.
I will of course discuss it with my rigger and demonstrate how it's not a change in fit nor function but just wasn't 100% sure.

and demonstrate how it's not a change

Sigh... You don't get it do you: if you put 1 stich on any part of your rig, it's a modification. Period.

Please, if you want something now, take it to your rigger.

So suppose I want to attach a pair of oven mitts to the leg straps using, say, rubber bands or duct tape or anything else that does not require sewing? Permitted or verboten?

Prohibited ;)

Any additions or changes to the rig that might alter the functionality or certification of the airworthiness of the rig need to be completed by a rigger. Sewing, tape, dyes, etc all fall into this realm.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

...and demonstrate how it's not a change in fit nor function.

You keep referring to that, as if it is your applicable criterion. Say it often enough and you might be actually able to convince someone (yourself?) of it. Please Shah - for once, actually listen to those (especially after you have asked) who still seem to have the patience enough, and the consideration enough to try & guide you. Watching you constantly trying instead to simply "re-justify" some of your misguided positions - then in a public forum where you could actually conceivably convince others to consider some of them (as if valid) & try 'em for themselves, is really starting to get even beyond being just tiresome.

Your question has been asked, and answered. Why do you not ever seem to want to accept the answers that are (oft cases - extremely graciously) provided to you? I mean really - if you are going to "go your own way" ANYWAY - please... why even bother (asking)?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Ok ok....wow guys breathe!
If adding a padding to the cover of the leg straps is a no no than ok cool.
I'll just keep rocking the padded shorts, no worries.
I was just asking.

I got my rigger to do pretty much what you are saying. He sowed on covers and padding (padding from car seats actually) around the leg straps. Like everyone else is saying, only a rigger can do it. He charged about $80 for that.
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

But at the moment I see you guys with your modern padded leg straps and I think...."My thighs need loving too!"

[sarcasm on] Save yourself some time and forget about sewing anything. Go to Auto Zone and get 2 of those fake sheep skin seatbelt covers and slide them over your legstraps, problem solved.:D [sarcasm off]

You might as well get your rigger ticket the way I see it. You make those magnet and leg strap mods yourself and I'd be highly surprised if you could get any rigger to pack your reserve.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Little did we know Shah was a model for that fairy.

Shah, the idea of you taking up sewing is a great idea. Think of how many sub size 6 asian seamstresses you could hit on while taking lessons.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I got my rigger to do pretty much what you are saying. He sowed on covers and padding (padding from car seats actually) around the leg straps. Like everyone else is saying, only a rigger can do it. He charged about $80 for that.

Yeah! that's the ticket.
And $80 that's nothing!
I'll talk to my Rigger and see if he has the time.
:)

It is okey to feel familiar and comfy with the gear you use.

But NO way I would start making arrangements on a rig myself, besides those simple stuff every jumper has to do himself. But even before that I would make sure I totally understood how a rig functions.

I would gladly spend those extra dollars on a reliable and competent rigger.

If we want competent riggers I believe we also have to respect and appreciate their "profession". Not create an atmosphere were who does what really does not matter.

At only 50 jumps you have demonstrated how NOT to maintain gear. Fishing wire? Really?:S

I suggest you find yourself a really crusty old rigger and let him or her tell you a few sh*t house rigger horror stories.;):o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

A few weeks ago someone was bitching about not having padding on their legstraps.

Their wife suggested they slap a set of sanitary pads under the legstraps. Quick easy and no modification to the rig:D:D

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.