misskriss

Dying

I work with end of life patients day in and day out. It often happens that a person "hangs on" for one particular reason. With elderly couples frequently that reason is each other. Unfortunately the body winds down in it's own time and oen person has to inevitably go first.

__

So very true I looked after a 99 year old woman, and we used to talk quite abit, she was fraile but VERY alert, all her mental faculties were ON.
I asked her one time what it was that kept her chugging along, she said she was waiting for her telegram. I ask her what telegram and she replied with.
When someone in the British Empire reaches 100 years old they get a telegram from the QUEEN. She was waiting for her telegram from the Queen of England.
I was not working on the day of her 100th birthday but was informed that she got her telegram, had a small gathering of family and went to sleep at about 2pm. She died in her sleep at somewhere before 6pm.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

GO ! Leave now, at once ! Go to her, tell her that you love her, let her know that it is okay for her to die, to pass on. Let her know that you understand. It is better to go now instead of waiting. You will most likely regret it if you do wait until it is too late. DO NOT let the hospital surroundings spook or frighten you. You are stronger than that, the equipment in the room is not a part of her, you are a part of her, you should go and be with her.

Mercate

I lost both of my grandparents on my dads side within a couple months back in 96. He died of liver cancer in jan, she died in march after she fell and her galblatter burst and started and infection.

I never had a chance to truely say goodbye to either them and that really messed me up for a while. Please if you have a chance get some time alone with your grandma and tell her how much you love her and what she means to you. It helps, give me a call if you want to talk.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

If you had a wonderful visit with her two months ago, you might want to think about what the funeral will be like -- it's a way of sharing her legacy.

If it will be family, and sharing good memories, and looking at pictures, that's a good thing too.

Sometimes you really can't afford both. And no matter what happens, she knows you love her.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The same thing happened to me just this year. My grandmother died of alzheimers (sp.) and then just a week later, my grandpa was diagnosed with a terminal cancer. He died just a couple months later. It seems to always come in groups of three. I remember after my grandpa died, I seemed to check my handles twice as much just so I wouldn't be the one to complete the cycle. If you need anyone to talk, I've been there. PM me, okay?

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

One of the ladies I work with had this happen. Her father-in-law died, and after his death, they could not force her mother-in-law to eat. She starved herself to death, partly because she was just too upset to eat and partly because she didn't want to live without her husband. The emotional connection is so great after so long that one feels that they simply CAN'T live without the other; sometimes it's not even a matter of wanting to. And often, it's a matter of losing the will to live, so they don't put forth any effort to hang on.

Blondes do have more fun!

My grandfather died a few weeks ago. My grandmother who has been in poor health is now in an out of consciousness in intensive care. Her organs are shutting down-she's close to death. She's 89 and lived a long life but somehow you never think it's going to happen. I've heard of couples dying within weeks of each other. Why does this happen.. is it psychological? coincidence??

I've seen it happen - my roommates Grandmother died from some medical conditions complicated by a bad fall. One week to the day, almost to the hour, her husband of 50 years died. The doctors found nothing wrong with him, and declared it a natural death from old age.

50 years with the same person? I think I would want to die as well - the broken heart would hurt too much.

I wish you and your family well Misskriss.....