CharlesFin

My rigger replaced my leg straps..how do i know she did it right?

Hi,

Although I am very confident in my rigger I do feel a responsibility to be able to inspect my gear after work has been done on it. I'm posting in this forum in hopes of learning something that will help make me a more knowledgeable skydiver.

I purchased a new container but the leg straps needed to be completely replaced. Attached is a picture of the leg strap set up.

What do I need to look for in order to insure this was done correctly? Is there a certain thread that should be used? If so, what is it and how do I tell if it was used? Should there be a certain number of stitches and/or a certain pattern?

I'm going to have another rigger inspect it but I still want to know these things instead of just sitting back and relying on others.

Thanks for the help!
Charles

Hi,

Although I am very confident in my rigger I do feel a responsibility to be able to inspect my gear after work has been done on it. I'm posting in this forum in hopes of learning something that will help make me a more knowledgeable skydiver.

I purchased a new container but the leg straps needed to be completely replaced. Attached is a picture of the leg strap set up.

What do I need to look for in order to insure this was done correctly? Is there a certain thread that should be used? If so, what is it and how do I tell if it was used? Should there be a certain number of stitches and/or a certain pattern?

I'm going to have another rigger inspect it but I still want to know these things instead of just sitting back and relying on others.

Thanks for the help!
Charles

Sounds like you don't trust your rigger. There a reason why?

Getting a second opinion is a good idea... However trying to get inspection information for it over the internet could be a bad idea. There is a reason why I have never heard of a rigger online distance learning program.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

" ... trying to get inspection information for it over the internet could be a bad idea. There is a reason why I have never heard of a rigger online distance learning program.

"

......................................................................................

Before my last rigging course, I e-mailed out a bunch of pre-course quizzes. Some candidates took the pre-course quizzes seriously, while others .... struggled.

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Examiner

" ... trying to get inspection information for it over the internet could be a bad idea. There is a reason why I have never heard of a rigger online distance learning program.

"

......................................................................................

Before my last rigging course, I e-mailed out a bunch of pre-course quizzes. Some candidates took the pre-course quizzes seriously, while others .... struggled.

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Examiner

I just worry about trying to get rigging info like this, something much better handled by hands on riggers.

Glad I didn't take your course, I hate tests! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Are your leg straps symmetrical?
Are the ends folded over and sewn so that they are too fat to slip out of the buckles accidentally?
Do the "heels" of the buckles press inwards ... towards your thighs?
Do the fat edges of the buckle bars face away from your thighs?
Are the buckles MIL SPEC or PIA SPEC?
Are the leg pads sewn on neatly?
When you peel back the leg pads ... are the straps sewn neatly?
... 5 point WW stitch pattern?
... stitch pattern so close to the buckles that they prevent the buckles form twisting and "end-loading"?
... 5 cord?
Are they made of genuine Type 7 webbing?
Are the chaffing strips made of Type 3 tape or Type 4 Tape?
How wide are the chaffing strips?
Do the chaffing strips prevent the structural webbing from directly touching the hardware?
Are the chaffing strips sewn with a 301 stitch, 304 stitch or 308 stitch?
Is there a row of E-thread, 301 stitch down both selvage edges of both lower leg straps?

In short, do your new leg straps look the same as the leg straps on a brand new Vector?

Sounds to me like someone phishing for info on material so they could try to do the work themselves.

+1 I kind of thought the same.

Charles

Why would you need the leg straps replaced if you purchased a new container?

I'm hoping that you purchased a USED container NEW to YOU, if not then there is sth wrong with that manufacturer.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Sounds to me like someone phishing for info on material so they could try to do the work themselves.

+1 I kind of thought the same.

This is going to be interesting.....film at 11.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well, the OP doesn't seem to know much about gear... so I could easily say e-thread, 5 cord, zigzag, bartack, 5 point WW... wouldn't make much sense to someone that doesn't know enough about gear to tell when it's properly sewn.

Charles,

Here is an idea. Ask her what/ how she did it and what the entire process takes (if they are doing that repair, they are a master rigger, which is not entry level stuff). If your are just looking for more knowledge, there should be no problem. I would hope they would spare a few minutes to explain the repair procedure, especially since you paid for it.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I'm going to have another rigger inspect it but I still want to know these things...

Have said second Rigger point out to you their inspection process and explain "why" s/he thinks it was done right.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Mark,

While some Senior riggers are knowledgeable in harness work, all Master riggers have been tested in this subject area to order to receive their certificate.

No, not all.

Sometime when we can get together again, ask me & I'll tell you all about how I got my master rigger ticket.

At the end of the day, it is the FAA who decides what they want to test you on; unless you are using a DPRE ( I did not, the FAA tested me ).

And I am not going to put it out here. :)

JerryBaumchen

Ask a (master) rigger

Fixed it for you.

While some Senior riggers are knowledgeable in harness work, all Master riggers have been tested in this subject area to order to receive their certificate.

BS,
MEL

Fixed it for you.

Senior riggers may not be allowed to do major repairs, but they are required to inspect previous work to ensure it is airworthy whenever they repack a rig. If they can inspect for a repack, they can inspect without repacking, too.

Also, while most master riggers have demonstrated ability to do harness work, there is no requirement for harness work to be part of the practical exam. I have heard of at one DPRE who does not have a harness machine.

Mark

Fixed it for you

I expected as much...[:/]

Senior riggers may not be allowed to do major repairs, but they are required to inspect previous work to ensure it is airworthy whenever they repack a rig. If they can inspect for a repack, they can inspect without repacking, too.

Inspecting Factory work is one thing, but inspecting work that already is in questiion is another.The right thing to do is ask someone more prone to knowing the subject matter. Would you not agree?

The OP has already questioned the "local" rigger's work.
What is he/she going to do,... ask someone who is probably less knowledgeable???

Also, while most master riggers have demonstrated ability to do harness work, there is no requirement for harness work to be part of the practical exam. I have heard of at one DPRE who does not have a harness machine.

You know, you are right. There could be some DPRE out there that would not pick a webbing construction task out of Section V. and basically downgrade the test.

But, you and I both know that would not meet the real intent of the practical exam.

As far as the DPRE that does not have a harness machine.... DPRE's are required to have all of the tools necessary to acomplish the tasks listed in the PTS.

I would have to say he/she does not meet that rule and his or her principle missed it big time!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com