skypilot0606

New Vector 3

So, I am working on ordering a new V3 and have some questions. I hope some can help.

1. I am looking to get a Sabre2 190 and a comparable Reserve? Not sure what size reserve I should order, the same? I have about 50 jumps and have previously been flying a 190 Sabre2. My landings have been great with no issues. I weigh 185, is that a Good wing load?

2. Are padded stabilizers good? I have never jumped with them.

3. Freefly mod? What is this? Should I get it for later?

4. Trim Tape , not sure what this is?

5. Pilot Chute, been jumping a collapsible, Should I go with Centerline F111 or ZP?

6. Riser Length? 19", 21", or 23" ? What is a good one? Large(Type 8) or Mini Ring(Type 17)

7. One piece or two piece leg pad?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22

Padded stabilizers add more comfort, so yes they're good..

Centerline is a collapsible PC and get a ZP for obvious reasons, will serve you much longer than an F111..

The longer the risers - the longer is the recovery arc of your canopy, but you don't need to think about this now, because obviously you're not gonna swoop much with that 190.. Type 8 risers are wider than type 17, with type 17 you will be able to lower your slider through the risers and place it behind your neck for lower drag, but you won't be able to do that with type 8 me thinks..

Two piece or one piece leg pads.. It depends which is more comfortable for you, purely dependent on a person..
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

1. I am looking to get a Sabre2 190 and a comparable Reserve? Not sure what size reserve I should order, the same? I have about 50 jumps and have previously been flying a 190 Sabre2. My landings have been great with no issues. I weigh 185, is that a Good wing load?

You're probably going to want to get a reserve that's the same size, or a bit bigger than your main. PD-R193 would be MY recommendation

2. Are padded stabilizers good? I have never jumped with them.

I have them, don't really notice a difference, probably won't till you get a smaller rig that is narrower than your back

3. Freefly mod? What is this? Should I get it for later?

IIRC, it's the tabs sewn to the leg pads so you can tie them together with the bungee cord, to keep the leg pads from sliding down to your knees in a sit

4. Trim Tape , not sure what this is?

Its the binding tape (around the edges of the flaps and whatnot)

5. Pilot Chute, been jumping a collapsible, Should I go with Centerline F111 or ZP?

There's some discussion about this. ZP will last longer, but some people say F111 will help provide softer openings

6. Riser Length? 19", 21", or 23" ? What is a good one? Large(Type 8) or Mini Ring(Type 17)

How long are yer arms? Probably fine with 19 or 21's

7. One piece or two piece leg pad?

I take it you're getting the fully articulated harness? The 2 piece leg pad doesn't have as much padding between you and the harness (in some places). Either way, you'll probably be just as happy. I have the single piece and have no issues with it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As I've said before, with mini rings and risers (type 17) you will be able to lower your slider through them and place it behind your neck for lower drag and your lines will spread more leading to a better performing canopy, you won't be able to do that with large rings and risers (type 8)..

And yeh, you get style points for that as well, you're gonna look lame with your slider over your head instead of stowed behind your neck :P

"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

Centerline is a collapsible PC and get a ZP for obvious reasons, will serve you much longer than an F111..

I've heard that because ZP is more slippery it comes out of the BOC with less pull force than F-111, and therefore is more susceptible to premature deployment.
I'm not sure if anyone has experience with this, but it makes sense to me so I went with F-111 for my rig.

I've heard that because ZP is more slippery it comes out of the BOC with less pull force than F-111, and therefore is more susceptible to premature deployment.
I'm not sure if anyone has experience with this, but it makes sense to me so I went with F-111 for my rig.

It's also said to reduce the snatch force because it can breathe a little and doesn't immediately 'stop'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'd buy a used rig with a 210 main. Jump it for a year and and then start thinking about new gear or down sizing the main.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Gotta agree with DBCOOPER on this. Unless you have money to burn-used is the way to go. You will want to down size, you will want different things in your rig in 200-500 jumps from where you are now.

Buy used *with the help of a qualified rigger, good common sense and solid judgement*. I waited until I had 500+ jumps before I bought my first "brand new, custom rig from UPT". Was 700 jumps before I bought my first "brand new main". and I'm still jumping my old 1993 PD 160 Reserve that I bought in my very first rig 6 yrs ago for $1000.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

"... I've heard that because ZP is more slippery it comes out of the BOC with less pull force than F-111, and therefore is more susceptible to premature deployment. ...

Pre-mature deployments are only a risk if you get sloppy about gear maintenance. e.g. postponing replacing a sagging" B.O.C. pouch that has lost its elasticity.

Parachute maintenance is a "you can pay your rigger now or you can pay your rigger later, but sooner or later you are going to have to pay ..." proposition.