EXTremeWade

Removable Slider?

I have been shopping around and have had to come to this arena for a simple question. Anyone know anyone who can make removable sliders? Not full on RDS, just a removable slider for a Katana 120. PD from what I understand only tailor to Velocities when making removable sliders but people have also told me "There are folks out there who make them if you just want one for your Katana". Just wanted to see what you all had to say or think about my issue. Thanks again folks.

//wade

Scott Roberts is the go to guy for RDS stuff. If he doesn't have the measurements already, then he'll tell you how he needs you to measure to make one. His slider is one of the better built systems on the market.

Just as collapsible sliders and PCs took time before they were accepted for a wide range of people, I think RDS systems are on the same road. Especially for people with cameras on their head.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

From an email from PD:

The Katana was never put through any r&d for a removable slider. The slider that was developed for the Katana is unlike the rest of our sport canopy sliders.

The removable sliders do not work well on all canopies and I would foresee some very adverse affect to the opening of the Katana.

From an email from PD:

The Katana was never put through any r&d for a removable slider. The slider that was developed for the Katana is unlike the rest of our sport canopy sliders.

The removable sliders do not work well on all canopies and I would foresee some very adverse affect to the opening of the Katana.

I wonder PD's comment pertains more to a full-RDS that includes a bag and pilot chute attached to the slider, than to a removable slider that doesn't have the bag and pilot chute attached.

www.Lookma.de

I've used their removeable Sliders on every jump since around jump no.700, both as full RDS and just as a removeable slider on many different PD canopies, Sabre 2 150, Sabre 2 135, Katana 120, Katana 107, Velo 96 and Velo 90. No problems whatsoever doing either H&P's for CP Swoop training or freefall for some HD action!
Now over 1200 jumps using Lookma sliders.
5-10 seconds to remove and 30-60 seconds to put back on depending in which manufacturer you go for.
However, the benefits far outweigh the small amount of added time on the ground reconnecting. (Also, they take FAR less time to remove than collapsing and stowing a standard slider as well).

Same scenaria for my wife as well;
Sabre 2 135, Katana 120, Katana 107, Velo 90 and Velo 84. (About 1000 jumps on Lookma sliders).

From an email from PD:

I wonder PD's comment pertains more to a full-RDS that includes a bag and pilot chute attached to the slider, than to a removable slider that doesn't have the bag and pilot chute attached.

You could be right, but the question I asked PD was specifically about a RS, not the full RDS.

Look Ma, Scott Roberts, UPT, Para Concepts ... I'm sure there are a few others, too. When you order it, specify the canopy model and size. May also help to have the measurements from the PD line trim chart (20x31 for a KA120).
Brian

From an e-mail huh...:S

Yes, from an email from PD to me in response to almost the identical question you asked (RS for a KA120).

What is it that you think is crazy about that?

Welcome back DocPop ;) DZ.com is rather addicting eh?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I also have a LookMa removable slider and really love it. Currently using it on a XFire2 - 139 and the openings are even better than with the stock slider. I've also seen other designs (like UPT) and they all seem to work well. The customer service of LookMa is also great.

This is some footage I shot a couple if weeks ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVe1ia-zfgo). You can have a look at around 3:45 to see how the LookMa system works.
Blue skies!

DaVinciflies

From an email from PD:

Having put some jumps on my KA120 with a Removable Slider (from a Velocity) I have to say I prefer the openings to the stock slider.

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Not sure if this is what PD was talking about with the Katana slider being different, but I know the bigger Katanas have that mesh border on the left and right edge. I think they said it is either 120's and bigger or 135 and bigger. The smaller sizes seem to have standard sliders; at least as far as I can tell.

Eh, not sure it is worth getting obsessed about but they have benefits outside of just pure swoop/drag reasons. It is by far the fastest and most efficient way for me to stow/bring down my slider. Dealing with my wings, ring sight, and camera gear, it is nice to spreed up that step and get it out of the way. Once removed, it has zero risk of re-inflating or getting snagged on my camera gear (Aggie Dave mentioned something about this in this thread or a previous one).

On my rigs, I have the removable slider on one, and standard on the other. I use the RDS rig on my 2nd jumps on back to backs, and often times don't bring down the slider at all on the other rig.

I don't lay down huge turns.
I also don't have Gatorz. :)

wooskydive

Guy at my DZ was obsessed with getting one for his Crossfire119. Fool doesn't even swoop, but he's got a nice wide wing ...for his 90.

there's nothing wrong with that, removing the slder eliminates ANY blind spots caused by the slider, even when collapsed sliders can limit your "over shoulder" vision.
I know a couple of people who dont swoop and have a removable slider. (not to be confused with an RDS).
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Zlew

Not sure if this is what PD was talking about with the Katana slider being different, but I know the bigger Katanas have that mesh border on the left and right edge. I think they said it is either 120's and bigger or 135 and bigger. The smaller sizes seem to have standard sliders; at least as far as I can tell.

135s and bigger have the different slider.

120s and smaller have a regular style slider.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

wooskydive

Guy at my DZ was obsessed with getting one for his Crossfire119. Fool doesn't even swoop, but he's got a nice wide wing ...for his 90.

Make sure it matches your Gatorz B|B|

I'm not doing it for drag reduction. I am doing it primarily for ease and opening up my field of view.

I also like that it lets the wing spread as much as possible which maximizes the usable lift.

ETA: It doesn't even match my canopy! It does however make my dick look bigger because I roll it up and shove it down the front of my pants.

~ CanuckInUSA

Removable sliders are good stuff. I have them on my Velos, and on my Pilot 140 (Wingsuit rig). The one on my Pilot I built myself (prolly something Aerodyne would hate to hear, but oh well). Much safer, bigger FOV and no more tying your slider into your reserve flap like some folks do. Rob Wordahl at Raeford builds a very nice removable for a fair price. He can build it with rings you supply or use grommets sunk into webbing.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Squeak

there's nothing wrong with that, removing the slder eliminates ANY blind spots caused by the slider, even when collapsed sliders can limit your "over shoulder" vision.
I know a couple of people who dont swoop and have a removable slider. (not to be confused with an RDS).

DocPop

I'm not doing it for drag reduction. I am doing it primarily for ease and opening up my field of view.

I also like that it lets the wing spread as much as possible which maximizes the usable lift.

ETA: It doesn't even match my canopy! It does however make my dick look bigger because I roll it up and shove it down the front of my pants.

Good points. And great idea with the pants stuffing. I might need to look into a removable slider!

Squeak

There is no difference.
It's still a Removable Deployment System.
It's your choice, to use the removable slider only.
To use the removable deployment bag only involves a length of line that attaches the bag to the slider.

I also use only the removable slider on three of my rigs.
I just wrap the slider around my main lift web.

I agree that the Precision RDSs are best.