mfuller

Pioneer Parachute

I picked up a container and parachute manufactured by Pioneer Parachute, April 1957. The gear looks in good shape and I want to pack it up for display purposes. The container is model number NB6. NPU is 56-204. It has a 26 round, and is described by Poynter as "one of the finest emergency back parachutes available." Poynter gives some packing directions, but I need help with closing the rig. The rip cord has 4 pins. What I can find is information regarding closing loops. I have searched the internet and contacted the company, but haven't had any luck. Does anybody have a manual, information, or can otherwise offer suggestions for this set up?

Thanks

Mike

Unless the rig is something unusual that I don't know about, the Navy Back #6 should be like the rest of the US military rigs of the era:

There won't be any loops. There should be 4 metal cones that the other flaps' grommets will fold over. The ripcord pins then go into the little hole across the top of each cone, one pin per cone.

There should be 4 metal cones that the other flaps' grommets will fold over. The ripcord pins then go into the little hole across the top of each cone, one pin per cone.

On a NB-6, one cone is inside the bottom on the Pilot Chute.
When the P/C is compressed,(use a 20 inch piece of tubing to guide the cone) the cone then appears out of the top of the P/C. This cone is then routed out the washer on the flap and pinned.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Since Mel knew what I didn't (thanks!), I dug a bit more:

Mike, have a look at 9.5.5 in Poynter (p531). There's actually an indistinct photo of an NB-6's pilot chute as part of packing instructions for Navy backpacks.

Sounds like that special cone has two holes, one for a temp pin, one for the final pin when the flaps go over it.

Edit: And some military rigs did have loops (eg Air Force B-5), even if the pins & cones were mostly what came into early sport skydiving.

Hi Peter,

Sounds like that special cone has two holes, one for a temp pin, one for the final pin when the flaps go over it.

You are absolutely correct. When you have all of the grommets in place on that cone, you do not have any room to put the pin into the lower hole of the cone.

And to Mark Lancaster: Hey, you beat me to it. B|

JerryBaumchen

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. This post has lead me to a local master rigger who has offered to give me some hands on assistance. You guys are alright.

I found the rig in a green metal container at an antique shop. Got everything for $40.00. From what I can see, it does not appear that the rig was ever used.

Mike