jbane3

Micron, Wings or Mirage?....who to pick....?

I am new to the sport jumping scene. I spent some time in the military doing both static line (t-10c,d and t-11) along with Military Free Fall.

I am able to get a pretty significant discount from all three vendors with my military discount...50,35 and 30 percent off respectively. I just dont know who to turn to. I am not interested in one company over the other for any specific reason. But I am just trying not to choose based solely on price. To me price really doesnt mean a whole lot. ( thankfully--> because of discount)

I dont want to buy used for a number of reasons...so this is where I am at...

I am a large guy at 6'01" and 220. I dont have a ton of free falls jumps ( under 200 ) so I am still learning.

Any and all help would be great. Thanks

I love my V3-Micron, with that said, I would take a wings too.

Just all about what you like the looks of. I don't like the looks of larger Mirages (which, if you're a MFF guy, you're probably going to have a larger one).

Look at both, try them on if they're around your size... see what feels right. My first rig was a Mirage, and I ordered a brand new Vector while I was deployed, it's a great rig. Wings? I would take one if they threw a bone!

All three are great rigs, and you'll be happy with any of them!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Check wait times, if that's important to you. It may be weeks for 2 of them, or months for UPT. And I don't know if UPT has any stock rigs right now.

All are good. (I happen to fly Vectors, but would be happy with one of the others.)

I make a lot of jumps in a day so comfort is very important to me.

I've jumped just about every rig out there and while they are all OK, the Vector V3 is hands down the most comfortable rig I've ever put on my back.

The fact that is has the Skyhook is a plus as well. You can't get that on the other 2.

There's a reason it takes longer to get a Vector.

BTW Thanks for your service.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

What about infinity???

Whatever fits you the best will be the most comfortable rig.

To the guy right above me, in your logic javelins are the shit since they take the longest time to make one
They used to take 25 plus weeks, don't know about now
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I am new to the sport jumping scene. I spent some time in the military doing both static line (t-10c,d and t-11) along with Military Free Fall.

I am able to get a pretty significant discount from all three vendors with my military discount...50,35 and 30 percent off respectively. I just dont know who to turn to. I am not interested in one company over the other for any specific reason. But I am just trying not to choose based solely on price. To me price really doesnt mean a whole lot. ( thankfully--> because of discount)

I dont want to buy used for a number of reasons...so this is where I am at...

I am a large guy at 6'01" and 220. I dont have a ton of free falls jumps ( under 200 ) so I am still learning.

Any and all help would be great. Thanks

I am about the same size and weight as you (6´07" and 215). Preparing for my AFF course in August.

If I go all the way and start looking for my own rig I have so far decided on a Silhouette main, PD Reserve and a V3 with skyhook. Conservative, yet fun..

So its real, you have to wait 12-19 weeks for a complete new rig?

(by the way, how is your free fall with such weight and height. Do you fit in with the other smaller jumpers during RW?)

I am able to get a pretty significant discount from all three vendors with my military discount...50,35 and 30 percent off respectively.

Not to burst your bubble, or downplay the offer of the manufacturers, but if that discount is off of retail, it's not as much of a discount as you think. Dealers typically end up charging anywhere from 20% to 30% off retail, so the military discounts aren't quite as huge when comapred to those prices. It's still in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars, but not the $1000+ is appears to be in the first place.

The three you mentioned are all good rigs. Add in Javelin (Sunpath) and Infinity (Velocity Sports Equip) and you probably have the top five rigs out there. Check out the websites, go to a DZ or two and talk to the jumpers about their rigs (and take a look at them in real life) get a price quote and delivery time quote and deciede from there. Hint - ask anyone you contact about a military discount even if they don't advertise one. Jumping and the military are closely connected, and you can ususally get a deal.

All of those rigs are good rigs, and will work well. There are pros and cons to each, and each has their supporters and detractors. I will say that whatever rig you get, you should buy a PD reserve. You should also buy a used main canopy with at least 200 jumps on it (400 is even better). A new canopy is literally twice as hard to pack as one with a few hundered jumps, and the new one doesn't offer any increased performacne over one that's already been 'broken in'. Used canopies are also about half the price of a new one.

My canopies:
1st - Sabre1 - 150 w/ 1000+ jumps (was from a rental). Mfg 3/91
2nd - Sabre1 - 120 w/ 500+ jumps, but stored in a closet for a while (currently in my closet wanting a d-bag and risers to be used for wingsuit and other jumps)
Current - Crossfire1-99. Paid no more than $500 for either of the three. The Crossfire fits nicely into the Sabre-120's d-bag. :)

What about infinity???

Whatever fits you the best will be the most comfortable rig.

To the guy right above me, in your logic javelins are the shit since they take the longest time to make one
They used to take 25 plus weeks, don't know about now

The Infinity is a nice rig and I as i said I have jumped them.

I understand brand loyalty, but based on my experience with multiple rigs (which is extensive) and assuming that any new rig will be measured and built to fit the customer, the Vector V3 is the best fitting and most comfortable rig on the market.

I'm not dissing any other rigs.

New gear is a big investment and it only makes sense to find the one that is right for you. I would suggest to anyone who is looking to buy a new rig to start trying them on. Check out your own DZ and ask people who own different rigs to explain what they like and dislike about thier own rig and ask to try it on.

Better yet, go to events / boogies that have gear vendors and try them on there.

As said above many gear companies give military discounts. Just ask. Also don't get too focused on the % of discount. Many give you a discount on the harness and container but nothing or little on the options.

Put together exactly what you want for H&C and all the otions then ask for a dollar quote including the military discount. This is the only way to find out exactly how much out of pocket you will pay for the rig.

the Vector V3 is the best fitting and most comfortable rig on the market.

My personal experience is that V3 are stiff as a board and not comfortable at all.

But I'm not saying you're wrong: it's just a case of personal preference.
Remster

Just to add something else, you can see that one guy says the V3 is the most comfortable, and another guy said the V3 is stiff as a board. Of course, some of that is just opinion, but some of that could be the perticular rig they tried on or jumped.

For you, any rig made to order for your measurements should be comfortable, HOWEVER, make sure that the rig is sized to comfortably hold the canopies you intend to put in there. All rigs can hold a few sizes of main and reserve, with some being tighter, and some being looser. Lean toward the looser end of the scale, and you'll have a rig that is softer, more flexible, and once again, easier to pack.

Some people are hung up on having a small rig, just don't be one of those guys. Even a larger sport rig will be much smaller than you're used to in the military. Also, keep in mind that any rig assembled with canopies reccomended by the manufacturer is going to be 'safe', so a loose fit doesn't really mean 'loose', is just means 'looser' than what would cause an average packer a hard time to get in there.

Also know this.

When I was younger I ordered a rig that was going to be delivered sooner than another.

No one likes to wait till 3 weeks after Christmas before they can open their gifts, right?

Even though I got my rig a month sooner than the other, I regretted the decision for years.

Most people are going to keep and jump a rig for several years. Make certain you get what you want even it takes a bit longer to get it.

the Vector V3 is the best fitting and most comfortable rig on the market.

My personal experience is that V3 are stiff as a board and not comfortable at all.

But I'm not saying you're wrong: it's just a case of personal preference.

Same for me. I know bricks that are softer than v3's. V2's were ok though. On the US market I would say the Javelin would be a very comfortable rig. Worldwide I would say the PdF Atom is hands down the most comfortable (but with lots of downsides).

In the original list of 3, i would go for the Mirage. A real panty dropper.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I bought a new mirage g4 because it was in stock. If I could go back I would have gone Vector/skyhook. While I don't plan to chop at sub 1,000ft I can't go back and reorder if I find myself there 'somehow'. Who knows...all I know is Booth's product is rock solid.

Jeff

I would have to say that after reading about the rigs on the vector site they seem to be well made and appear to last the longest. That said I have also been told they are uncomfortable.. I think it depends on getting the right fit. I like how the V3's have several different options for how the laterals connect to the MLW / leg straps.

I got a Mirage because:

1) they are well built and well thought out
2) they had the options I wanted
3) they were available with a large reserve and small main container

1) and 2) are going to apply to most rigs out there today, and 3) is going to be specific to what size canopies you want. Since I wanted to be able to put a 143-160 reserve and a 109 main in the same container I was a little more limited.

All work pretty well..

Pick the one that looks best for you, cause there's nothing worse than hating how your gear looks :P

Look won't get it done if the rig is uncomfortable. Get one that feel good wearing it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

All work pretty well..

Pick the one that looks best for you, cause there's nothing worse than hating how your gear looks :P

Look won't get it done if the rig is uncomfortable. Get one that feel good wearing it.

Sparky

Admen sparky, That's the truth

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

It's a lucky shot with the comfort thing..

There's too many variables.. You might not get to try on the containers you want, they might not fit you good, thus leading to the point that you might think they're just built uncomfortable, while the same container if custom fitted might be perfect..

To truly decide which is best for you, you would have to test each of them fully custom fitted for you, which ain't gonna happen, so as I said a lucky shot mostly..
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus