Southern_Man

Alternative bridle routing/closing method

That's the same bridle routing the Racer has been using for years. Oddly enough, the Racer with it's lack of stiffeners is probably the least likely rig to container lock in any way, but they're the ones using this bridle routing from the start.

Just make sure you let people know if they're going to give you a gear check...

Lots of funny looks and worried skydivers if they don't know there's more than one way to skin the cat!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Same method as Parachutes de France recommends on at least some of the rigs they offer.
I've heard it referred to as a 'french tickler.'

This is how my rig is packed. My rigs have no Velcro for the bridle loop.

It -does- have possibility (if too much loop is left, and above the pin) to loop around the closing pin. Pack your rig this way; it becomes immediately apparent.
It's like any other pack job; if you do this/that might happen...

That routing is often used for wingsuit rigs. With the angle of the PC when it comes out during deployment is more towards the feet than straight up, having the bridle looped under the closing flap towards the BOC makes pin extraction a bit easier. Less chance of the bridle getting stuck over the top of the flap.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And, if it is a good method for UPT is it also a good method for other containers?

I would not do it unless, my manufacturer recommends it. Go ahead, you can be a test jumper....B|

Why to fix something is not broken?

Why re-write a manual if it's close enough, is the only reason it would not be considered recommended. :)
It's fine. It's a good method for any rig where the bridle will fit under the side flap. It's been tested for years and years already. I used to pack mine that way until I switched to pull-out.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Only thing I don't like about this method is that the pilot chute kill line window is not visible, at least not with my UPT pilot chute. You have to pull a little bridle out and flip around to see the window which is now inside the fold. Not so important when I pack myself, since I check it during the packing process, but if using a packer, I always like to check it, even if I cock the pilot chute myself.

Is that an over-stuffed rig or what?
:D:D

Nope, the side flap grommets shouldn't overlap.

Believe it or not, if they do, the main pin flap wont fully close and will stick up. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Only thing I don't like about this method is that the pilot chute kill line window is not visible, at least not with my UPT pilot chute. You have to pull a little bridle out and flip around to see the window which is now inside the fold. Not so important when I pack myself, since I check it during the packing process, but if using a packer, I always like to check it, even if I cock the pilot chute myself.

This is a good point, I check mine several times and have other people check it even when I am sure. I don't use packers and am very diligent about double checking. I have a Wings, so I don't know if I am going to use this method or not, I am going to look at it and talk about it w/ some riggers, though. The pin through bridle lock seems rare.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Don't know who came out with smily face myth, but smily face doesn't do anything, what is important is that tip of the closing pin should clear the bridal. Pull the bridal from the bottom and you'll see that the pin will swing up and around, if the curved pin's tip catches on to the bridal it may lock it in place.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Don't know who came out with smily face myth, but smily face doesn't do anything, what is important is that tip of the closing pin should clear the bridal. Pull the bridal from the bottom and you'll see that the pin will swing up and around, if the curved pin's tip catches on to the bridal it may lock it in place.

Sure it does. If you put the pin in a 'frown' face, think about everything you lean up against with your rig on. The plane, the persons lap or leg behind you, etc. If it's facing down it's easier for it to be popped out than the 'smiley' face as the pressure would simply push up on it but not out with that orientation.
Stay high pull low

Sure it does. If you put the pin in a 'frown' face, think about everything you lean up against with your rig on. The plane, the persons lap or leg behind you, etc. If it's facing down it's easier for it to be popped out than the 'smiley' face as the pressure would simply push up on it but not out with that orientation.

On the other hand, if you lean hard and make the pack job more loose because of that, the smiley face pin may just fall out due to gravity, while the 'frown' face pin would not.