cbuilder

torn leg strap?

I tend to over analyze everything before and after i jump. Pior to last jump of the day, i over heard a couple of people talking about their reserve rides. One of them made a comment that got me wondering, has anyone have or heard of a leg strap tearing or any part of the harness tear upon opening? I ve read where people have fell out due to their error, but can t recall seeing someone having it torn.

One of them made a comment that got me wondering, has anyone have or heard of a leg strap tearing or any part of the harness tear upon opening? .

The general answer is that no it basically never happens and isn't normally an issue at all.

That's a concern that ranks well below already rare things like line overs on your reserve, fatal freefall collisions, etc.

One can always find special case exceptions, and I'll let others dig them up.

(Well, a few examples just so I don't get sniped at too much: bad hip rings bent; light chest strap broke in Italy once; worn main lift webs broke at a particular style main lift web adapter - something not used on regular experienced jumper rigs; risers might break but that's a different issue; concerns of TSO standards for reserve forces vs. harness strengths even if there generally haven't been problems)

Still, there is normally no need to worry about a harness breaking. Forces that break a harness will normally seriously injure or kill the jumper first.

Hi Peter,

Well, a few examples just so I don't get sniped at too much

Talk about timing, I just received this in an email:

I began in1959 and in 1965 had a leg strap break loose on a borrowed B-4 rig that was well past its prime. One will never get closer to God then they will hanging with both arm’s and white knuckles from a harness with the remaining leg strap at the crook of one’s knee at 2000 ft.

JerryBaumchen

When I worked at Jump Shack a guy walked in with a rig for Inspection and Repack, the Legstrap had been cut somehow through the edge (making it essentially useless and dangerous). It had been sewn together with 5 cord and he looked most upset when we completely refused to touch the rig......... the argument that it was his old "backup" rig didn't sway our opinion.........

Hi Peter,

Now that reminds me of an old Racer that I had sent to me for some repairs. I had been contacted about doing a certain repair & I said that I could do it and provided an estimate on the costs.

When I got the rig, the chest strap had been cut off at about 1/2 its length & 'repaired' by splicing another piece of webbing, all held together with a 'confluence wrap' made out of canopy fabric & stitched with 'E' thread. :o

JerryBaumchen

Hi Peter,

Now that reminds me of an old Racer that I had sent to me for some repairs. I had been contacted about doing a certain repair & I said that I could do it and provided an estimate on the costs.

When I got the rig, the chest strap had been cut off at about 1/2 its length & 'repaired' by splicing another piece of webbing, all held together with a 'confluence wrap' made out of canopy fabric & stitched with 'E' thread. :o

JerryBaumchen

Some one "not clear on the concept" of harness repairs being sewn with 5-cord, etc.