medic0079

stupid question

The OP could just try and see what happens. Above 3000, but it's a way to understand what you're doing. Then try it when flying parallel to another canopy.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The OP could just try and see what happens. Above 3000, but it's a way to understand what you're doing. Then try it when flying parallel to another canopy.

Wendy P.

I figure I'd ask before trying. Much easier to ask on the ground and have sometime tell me that is a stupid idea don't do it vs doing it cutting away and thinking to myself under my reserve "that was a stupid idea" I wish I didn't do that.

My thought process as to why I have not done it is that it would to me make the canopy very unstable left front riser input would increase the left canopy speed and lift while right rear brake would slow the right side of the canopy and tip it back. lines front right and rear left if I'm thinking correctly would lose tension compared to the opposite lines, which is why I was wondering about the tension knot. couldn't this spin a canopy into line twists? or am I not thinking about this correctly?

That isn't a stupid questions. When it comes to this sport the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

be cautious of warping an elliptical canopy - my stiletto didn't like opposing inputs but on a square it doesn't do anything weird or scary.

I have no idea if it would help with tension knots or not but I kind of doubt it as your canopy would still be fully inflated - but hell, if you had a lot of altitude it would be worth a shot :)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

after opening, leave brake lines stowed, and pull left front riser..

Which way are you gonna turn?

No this one had me, till I tried it for myself.B|B|B|

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

after opening, leave brake lines stowed, and pull left front riser..

Which way are you gonna turn?

No this one had me, till I tried it for myself.B|B|B|

I would guess it would depend on the parachute you are decreasing angle of attack on the left front but also increasing speed and lift which would pull the left side of the parachute up and roll to the right. So duration of hold, parachute type, passenger weight etc would all play a rol Il I guess the same would be true for my question.

medic0079

I'm sure I will get flamed for this question but I've always been curious. What happens when you pull right brake line and left front riser? I was curious about loosening pressure on line sets to release tension knots etc.

If you're jumping a heatwave like your profile says, I wouldn't try warping it. A spectre, triathlon, lightning etc are fine though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You are over-thinking the problem.
The only way to truly find the answer is to practice it under your own canopy ... light to medium wing loading ... start with a rectangular canopy ... above 3,000 feet ... clear of other traffic ...
If you survive your first test-flight, then repeat the maneuver with progressively smaller and faster and more tapered canopies.
Please report back to us what you learn.

As has been said, this technique, called "warping", is used a lot in CRW. When flying next to a formation, it is necessary to increase descent rate, but not forward speed. Warping distorts the wing and kills off lift. The more warp, the higher rate of descent. The trick is to control your heading while doing it. Each input (front riser and toggle) will turn you in that direction. The front riser has much more pressure than the toggle, so it's sometimes difficult to balance. But just add more in the direction you need to maintain straight flight. You can also steer in a warp.
It's pretty hard to see the rate of descent increase unless you're flying relative to another canopy. But you can practice holding heading if you're alone. I have sometimes used a bit of warp on final approach to adjust altitude if I'm higher than necessary. However, make sure you come out of it at a high enough altitude to get the wing flying properly, or you'll pound in pretty severely.

Kevin K.

dragon2

***I'm sure I will get flamed for this question but I've always been curious. What happens when you pull right brake line and left front riser? I was curious about loosening pressure on line sets to release tension knots etc.

If you're jumping a heatwave like your profile says, I wouldn't try warping it. A spectre, triathlon, lightning etc are fine though.Again , to the pilot of the question, if you , on the safer canopy, were to say, fly closer to another canopy, and just feel, just feel,, slowly your relationship and speed, between yourself and the other jumper, and then , with remembering this, on your own, try this input, your awareness can better measure the canopies action and find purpose for the maneuver. Watching other airfoils, three risers, parasails, and other gliders, lower harness connection systems, then set yourself back into your own safe zone, and think about flying, ill be honest , crew is a little scary,, and any double up impute needs to be thought threw,,

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -