angryelf

Consew Combo ZigZag Straight Stitch Trouble Shooting

Have an older Consew 98 combination zigzag/straight stitch machine. Sews just fine in straight stitch mode, but starts dropping stitches when shifted over to zigzag. I've already played with adjusting tension of the presser foot, thread on top and ensured there was no lint in the bobbin keeper and adjusted the stitches per inch settings. Any suggestions? Also-I would like to find a manual for it if anyone knows where to look.

Thanks!

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

The bobbin carriage is likely out of adjustment. If you want a lesson in timing your machine, here's the chance. Mind you, You're about to get a lesson in frustration if this is your first time timing any machine.

Turn the carriage every so slightly toward the side that skips.

Good luck maintaining the same spacing between the needle and the carriage :P

Basically as the needle passes the pointy end of the carriage, it should almost touch or barely touch. That spacing should remain the same if it's sewing well already.

Turn that assembly a very tiny bit toward the skip.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

U use zigzag machines a lot, I have a few singer 20U, wich I think are the best zigzag machines. Even though they also do straight stitching when u switch from zig to straight timing on the machine just goes to hell, I dont know what type of zig zag you do, but I normally do 1/8 width and the stitch separation is only at .3 this is what we use to make the jumpsuit applications. When you switch to straight you might go on #4 stitch separations that is a totally diferent stitch. Sewing machines are very tension sensitive so you will be having to calibrate bobinpresure all the time back and forth. If you have a few extra bucks and can afford another machine, Keep this one for zigzag and buy a straight stitch machine. they are super cheap. I have a few for sale, let me know.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"