TKoontz

Concerns about container size

I'm in the process of buying a first rig (wings) and I'm having issues getting a straight answer as to what size canopies they'll hold. as an example: One I'm looking at now holds a silhouette 170 "Pretty tightly" according to the seller. I want to be flying a 1:1 with a 150 (more than likely a pilot or a Sabre II as recommended by several mentors). I've been told by some of my mentors that it shouldn't be a problem to get one in there and have it held securely. Other times, I hear people say absolutely not, or, that will be really loose. I've talked to the manufacturer about several of the rigs I've been looking at and sometimes it comes back as "shouldn't be a problem" other times it's "the container will hold what it was made for, and there's not much room for deviation" I know there are variables with pack volume depending on the canopy type and material, but does 5-15% make that big of a difference when working with a difference of 20 sqft? Sorry for the novel, but this represents a pretty big investment for my current budget and I don't want to get reamed because of ignorance.
Thanks in advance,
Rooster
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

It sounds like you are trying to buy a container that will accommodate maximum downsizing in the future. It sounds like you are tying to stuff the biggest canopy you can into the H/C now so that you can put much smaller canopies into it later.

Is that correct?

A container is built for pack volume, not canopy size, make or model. You're getting a range of answers because you (and they) are talking size/make/model. You're getting "opinions".

I'd go by the volume of the container then matching the canopy pack volume to that. Going by square feet could be a red herring in that different manufacturers measure differently. And, different models, different materials...as you've already noted.

Better yet, you being a young jumper, I'll say, buy the canopy that suits your skills at this time and THEN buy a H/C that fits those skills (and provides some room for downsizing if that's the route you're planning to take).
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I actually don't plan on downsizing too fast (college will be taking a big portion of time here) so I'll probably be content with a 150 for the next 200+ jumps. By the time I'm ready to downsize much past the 150 mark, I'll probably be getting a custom rig to accomodate that.

I'm also not trying to get the biggest thing I can to fit (twss) but the container has the 170 already in it; I was planning on selling the main to afford a smaller one.

No container size uploaded, Just the what body type the harness fits and that it holds the silhouette 170 'tight'

No rig size, no way to tell canopy fit, nor body fit.
What you have so far is opinion only.
You need more detail.
Get a serial number, too.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ok, I'm getting it shipped to the DZ currently since I'll be there this weekend for an inspection by my rigger and to make sure everything fits properly. There's a pilot 150 that I can pack in there to assess the fit, and tbh, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was kept at a 170 for a bit longer (going back to the college thing) since I wont have as much time to practice under a smaller canopy as I might want.

Thank you for the advice, all. I guess we'll see how everything works out this weekend

One I'm looking at now holds a silhouette 170 "Pretty tightly" according to the seller. I want to be flying a 1:1 with a 150 (more than likely a pilot or a Sabre II as recommended by several mentors). I've been told by some of my mentors that it shouldn't be a problem to get one in there and have it held securely. Rooster

My wife has a vector III. The silhouette 170 was tight. Her sabre II 150 now fits perfect.

Got the serial number and contacted the manufacturer, looks like a 150 will be fine, but if that gets a little hairy I can fall back on the 170. Thanks everyone for the insight and comments.