wildjump

Harness sewing Machine

I want to buy a harness type sewing machine. I've been looking on ebay, but it is sometimes difficult to tell if a certain model will adequately sew 5 cord Nylon thread. Can anyone tell me what models to be looking for from Singer, Pfaff, Juki, and Consew? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Hi wild,

I can only offer my thoughts.

I have owned three Class 7 machines and got rid of all of them. IMO they are too big for what I am doing. IMO they are a great machine if you are sewing really, really heavy stuff such as a military type of harness. I only sew modern designed harnesses with Type 7 being the heaviest webbing that I sew through. A lot of military stuff is Type 13 webbing.

I use a Singer 132K6, walking foot machine with a #27 needle and she is a dream to sew with. She makes a lot of noise but she rarely misses a stitch; sort of like a good woman. :P

One other poster on here & very experienced rigger owns a Singer 132K7 machine ( that I sold to him ) and he once told me that it was the nicest harness machine he had ever used. The K7 is a needle feed machine rather than a walking foot like the K6.

One thing that I really like about the 132 machines is that they have a 2nd foot pedal that lifts the presser foot, this keeps both of your hands free for handling the materials.

I do believe that you can get a Singer 132K6 machine here:

Sewing Machine Sales Co.
7922 Hill Avenue
P. O. Box 544
Holland, OH 43529
1-800-449-0835

I am very sure that there are a lot of people who will swear by their Class 7 machines; I am glad that they like them.

I hope that this helps in some small way,

JerryBaumchen

PS) In the photo it sits in a table that I built myself because I wanted good, new, larger tables than what one can find on the used market.

I find the 7-31 7-33 7-34 to be a little short on lift some times. My long arm actually has higher lift then my 7-31/33, changed out the motor to a clutch, but the table is to big for me to set it up right now. The 34 uses a smaller bobin. As far as I can tell that's the only real diffrence. Oddly that picture looks like a 33 foot. My old 34 had a single sided L shape feed dog and foot. I don't know squat about the newer machines. If your going to own one I'd look for one with more lift then a 33.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hi Lee,

My old 34 had a single sided L shape feed dog and foot.

My 132K6 had some odd-shaped feed dogs/presser feet when I first got it. I then got some parts for a better feed dog system ( symmetrical set of feed dogs ) & walking foot system.

I then had a machinist reduce the width of the outer right side walking foot so that it lines up just where I want to set the spacing for the outer row of stitching. I no longer have to 'estimate' where to put the walking foot, I just line up the edge of it with the edge of the webbing and give her the gun. :P

I did this ( reworked the presser foot width ) on the 132K7 that I sold, also. I highly recommend anyone doing a lot of harness work to consider doing the same; it will save a lot of headaches and make things go faster & easier IMO.

JerryBaumchen

PS) On my Consew 339RB-1 machine, I had the same machinist rework the walking feet so that they are now the right width to 'walk' right down the binding tape on a container or comfort pads or whatever. Sure makes things easier to do. :)

Someone once sent me an email and said that I do very good work. My reply was that it is all about having good machines, getting them setup the way you want them ( such as reworking the presser feet ) and then just about anybody can do good work.

We all have our idiosyncrasies; I know I sure do. :P

I want to buy a harness type sewing machine. I've been looking on ebay, but it is sometimes difficult to tell if a certain model will adequately sew 5 cord Nylon thread. Can anyone tell me what models to be looking for from Singer, Pfaff, Juki, and Consew? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

I have quite a few 7 class machines in the shop.
A Consew 733R2, 733R4, Consew 754, and a Juki that I cannot remember the model number of right away.

Here is some basic info:

Singer 7-31- Large Frame - Large Hook and bobbin and has the clutch mounted on the handwheel.

Singer 7-33- Large frame - Large Hook and bobbin- has a standard handwheel and clutch motor below.

Note- Most 7-31's have been converted to a 7-33 by changing the handwheel to the 7-33 type.

Singer 7-34 - Small hook and bobbin- Slightly smaller frame than the 7-31 and 7-33.

Stay away from the 7-6, 7-9, and other "odd" models for parts reasons....there are none to be found.

Consew 733's are abundant and work well.
The latest model is the 733-5.
The models range from the standard 733, to the 733R1 , 733R2, ...and etc, to the R5.
The R5 has the highest lift capacity of them all @ about 1 3/4" with the feeddog down in the needle plate.

The Consew line of 751-754's are cylinder arm 7 class sewing machines.
I have a 754 that I use for work that I cannot get to on a flat bed machine. Excellent machine BTW....

Like Jerry stated, the Singer 132K is a good machine as is it's brother the Consew SK-6.
I do not know if the 132 and SK-6 will sew 6 cord though. Maybe Jerry will cue us in on this.

BTW, some Tandem rigs have 6 cord in them....

My personal preference is my Consew 733R4 out of them all.

But if if I could just talk the wife into the R5 that may be a different story.;)

Cheers,
MEL

PS- There are several machines just up the street if you are interested. Just PM or email me.
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Hi Mark,

Like Jerry stated, the Singer 132K is a good machine as is it's brother the Consew SK-6.
I do not know if the 132 and SK-6 will sew 6 cord though. Maybe Jerry will cue us in on this.

I have not sewn any #6 cord since way back in the 70's. When Ted Strong came out with his StyleMaster rig ~'68 with Type 7 webbing the world of sport parachutes changed.

I probably should have included tandem harnesses when I said: I only sew modern designed harnesses with Type 7 being the heaviest webbing that I sew through. A lot of military stuff is Type 13 webbing.

I only sew with #5 cord on what I build.

I thought that Consew SK-6 looked a lot like my 132K6. As the song goes, 'It's a small, small world after all.'

JerryBaumchen

I have not sewn any #6 cord since way back in the 70's. When Ted Strong came out with his StyleMaster rig ~'68 with Type 7 webbing the world of sport parachutes changed.

I sold a really nice SK-6 back about a year ago.
I never got around to trying 6 cord on it either.
Maybe the guy that I sold it to wll gve it a go for us.....
Jim Wine would be that guy BTW!

BS,
MEL

I think I saw one of those for sale not long ago, it was cleaned up and nicely running according to the seller (a guy who fixes sewing machines).
I was too slow, but I think the ad said about $700.

My research came to the conclusion that it an sew #6. But I'll let the experts answer as I'm not sure.

Will it sew trough 4-5 layers of type 7, type 8 and type 17?

I would think that it would. Just make sure to adjust the presser bar spring enough to insure that the presser foot does not rise when the needle is extracting the webbing.

If the presser foot rises even a little bit during extraction of the webbing, the loop for the hook will not be made correctly and the thread can be cut or just missed causing a skipped stitch.

Using thread lube helps prevent this also.

MEL

I have purchased Singer 45K with table and motor for 230 $ :P
I will also check my lottery ticket today,...

It sews trough 5 layers of Type 7 without effort with not lubed Cord #5 B|

Now I only need to convert 220 V 3 phase motor to single phase 220 V outlet.

I also have a 45k, its tight trying to get 4 layers of type 7 under the presser foot but it can be done. I think of it as a baby harness machine, it can do harness work but you want a 7 class if you are going to be doing a lot of harness work.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com